LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

shutting off automatic steering column function

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-16, 12:09 AM
Tantrix
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default shutting off automatic steering column function

anyone know if I can turn off this function ? I don't need the steering wheel column to always adjust when I go in and out the car.
Old 08-18-16, 03:35 AM
comotiger
Pole Position

Received 292 Likes on 251 Posts

Originally Posted by Tantrix
anyone know if I can turn off this function ? I don't need the steering wheel column to always adjust when I go in and out the car.
You have to turn off the Easy Exit function in the Vehicle Settings menu. Activating FULL Easy Exit moves the driver seat back and moves the steering column out of the way. Selecting PARTIAL moves only the steering column up, but the seat stays put. Turning OFF will keep both from moving. As far as I recall, you cannot move only the seat back. I have the setting on Partial since I don't like the seat moving back. It also tends to "crush" the legs of anyone in the rear seat, especially in SWB cars.
Old 08-18-16, 04:50 AM
Kennyr44
Lead Lap

Received 59 Likes on 49 Posts

The dealer must do this for you. My 91 had a on off button but not this car. I can't stand the steering wheel moving by itself so it was the first thing I took care of.
Old 08-18-16, 06:07 AM
williakz
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Or Carista via the OBDII interface.
Old 08-18-16, 06:23 AM
comotiger
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Kennyr44
The dealer must do this for you. My 91 had a on off button but not this car. I can't stand the steering wheel moving by itself so it was the first thing I took care of.
Mmmm, are you sure? I am positive I have accessed this option and changed the settings in several vehicles, my previous car, a 2012 460, my current LS, and a couple of loaners (ES and RX). This was before I bought Carista.

LOL, I don't mind the steering wheel moving out of the way to help me get out, but I hate the driver seat sliding all the way back!

OP, check your owner's manual for customizing vehicle settings. There are some that can be done by owner (or dealer) and others than can be done by dealer only.
Old 08-18-16, 08:41 AM
Carista
Former Sponsor

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

As far as I know, you can configure the seat movement through the nav, but you can't configure the steering wheel movement.
Unfortunately, it's the same story in Carista because the technical details of the steering wheel movement setting are really weird - it's different from all other settings. So we haven't implemented it yet. So yeah, for now it seems like the dealer is the only option.
Old 08-18-16, 09:15 AM
comotiger
Pole Position

Thanks, I guess I now get what the other posters meant. If you want just the steering wheel to stay put and still have the seat move back, ask the dealer. I will check my manual but I didn't know that this was even a dealer-changeable setting.
Old 08-18-16, 09:42 AM
dlbuckls10
Racer

Received 96 Likes on 80 Posts

Many of the 460 personalized settings can only be changed at the dealership. I can't understand because I've had other vehicles that let you set your own personal settings.

Last edited by dlbuckls10; 08-18-16 at 09:47 AM.
Old 08-18-16, 10:30 AM
comotiger
Pole Position

Originally Posted by dlbuckls10
Many of the 460 personalized settings can only be changed at the dealership. I can't understand because I've had other vehicles that let you set your own personal settings.
That's why you buy Carista . It's far cheaper than visiting the dealer, especially if they charge you for changing the settings. I can understand why Lexus may want some settings to be dealer-changeable. The SA could advise the customer of potential safety concerns with changing some settings before doing so. Besides, it may not be advisable to change some settings too often, which could be the case if the customer plays around with numerous settings. I can't think of specific examples, but just a thought. Along the same lines, are you sure other carmakers don't have similar restrictions? Carista App supports literally hundreds of models from all major carmakers, so I would hazard a guess that Lexus is not unique, and that all carmakers have some restrictions in customization of vehicle settings.

Originally Posted by Carista
As far as I know, you can configure the seat movement through the nav, but you can't configure the steering wheel movement.
Unfortunately, it's the same story in Carista because the technical details of the steering wheel movement setting are really weird - it's different from all other settings. So we haven't implemented it yet. So yeah, for now it seems like the dealer is the only option.
Carista, I am very pleased with all the settings I am able to change with your app, and this includes several that aren't even listed in the owner manual (e.g., interior illumination pattern). Can you provide a list of settings for my car that are dealer-changeable, but are not accessible through Carista? I have a feeling that these settings, assuming there are a lot, are not listed in the manual. Thanks!
Old 08-18-16, 11:13 AM
Carista
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by comotiger
Carista, I am very pleased with all the settings I am able to change with your app, and this includes several that aren't even listed in the owner manual (e.g., interior illumination pattern). Can you provide a list of settings for my car that are dealer-changeable, but are not accessible through Carista? I have a feeling that these settings, assuming there are a lot, are not listed in the manual. Thanks!
Thanks for the kind words
We're constantly trying to find additional settings that are dealer-changeable and when we do, we add them to Carista (with the exception of some overly technical ones like, say, the calibration of certain servo motors or other electronics that a normal user shouldn't mess with). So far, the only major one that we know about and can't easily implement is the steering wheel movement. We have not yet done a full sweep through the PDFs that they publish for all models to see if we're missing anything, but we believe we have almost all settings, plus tens of others that are not even in the PDFs. So to answer your question, we don't have such a list, but if you know of any such settings (other than the steering column), let us know and we'll try to add them to Carista.
Old 08-18-16, 11:37 AM
comotiger
Pole Position

Thanks for the kind words
We're constantly trying to find additional settings that are dealer-changeable and when we do, we add them to Carista. We have not yet done a full sweep through the PDFs that they publish for all models to see if we're missing anything, but we believe we have almost all settings, plus tens of others that are not even in the PDFs. So to answer your question, we don't have such a list, but if you know of any such settings (other than the steering column), let us know and we'll try to add them to Carista.
Ok, you asked, so here is one setting that would be nice to change!! It is technically not dealer-changeable, but maybe you can figure it out. Can you lower the height of cars with the air suspension? I am pasting below quotes from another thread.
Originally Posted by Dr. Jekyll
I just read on Jimmy's Black Pearl build he used a scan tool from a Lexus technician to lower his car. Is this true? Can a Lexus tech do this or someone with the scan tool? If so I wouldn't mind dropping it an inch and using the high height button to raise it up when needed.

Originally Posted by raefkrad
I just lowered mine about an inch all around using the Toyota techstream diagnostic software. Look under setting reference height. Once done, you can then bring it back up to almost stock by hitting the height high button on your console when you feel the need. Regards

If you can figure out how to lower the height in 0.5 inch steps over a 0.5-2.5 inch range, I am sure your App will be even more popular

I asked my dealer whether they would lower the height for me, but they said No because of liability concerns. You probably have a disclaimer somewhere in your App that states that customers change settings at their own "peril" without liability for you, so maybe you folks will consider this...Thanks.
Old 08-18-16, 11:43 AM
Tantrix
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

there is definitely no "easy entry" option with the car.

it is only a carista or dealer mod.

Old 08-18-16, 11:58 AM
comotiger
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Tantrix
there is definitely no "easy entry" option with the car.
it is only a carista or dealer mod.
Sorry, you never mentioned the MY for your car. Just checked manual for 2014LS and seat movement is adjustable by customer. Maybe not called Easy Exit (I guess I made that up ) but check your manual carefully. I know I could do this in the 2012 LS also.

Standard: Both steering wheel and seat move.
Partial: Only steering wheel moves.
Off: Neither moves.
Old 08-18-16, 01:39 PM
Carista
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by comotiger
Standard: Both steering wheel and seat move.
Partial: Only steering wheel moves.
Off: Neither moves.
Are you sure about that? I always thought "partial" meant moving the seat by a shorter distance.

About the air suspension: we've heard that it's possible, but haven't researched it yet. We do have it in our list of tasks to research this.
Old 08-18-16, 02:08 PM
comotiger
Pole Position

Are you sure about that? I always thought "partial" meant moving the seat by a shorter distance.

About the air suspension: we've heard that it's possible, but haven't researched it yet. We do have it in our list of tasks to research this.
Yes, positive, I use the Partial setting. I will check again today and report.

Good to know the air suspension is on your to-do list. Good luck with it!!

Quick Reply: shutting off automatic steering column function