LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

LS460 Control Arm Update

Old 08-25-16, 09:44 AM
GR6RR
Intermediate

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

pretty cheap you say? there is a couple of thread posts on CL complaining about the lack of support from this company. I've used kyb on previous vehicles without a problem. Just pointing out about their problems that's on CL. Maybe that's why their so cheap lately... maybe unrelated...

Here is one of them... I couldn't find the other.
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls-...r-buy-kyb.html
Old 08-25-16, 11:53 AM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Received 503 Likes on 382 Posts

Originally Posted by GR6RR
pretty cheap you say? there is a couple of thread posts on CL complaining about the lack of support from this company. I've used kyb on previous vehicles without a problem. Just pointing out about their problems that's on CL. Maybe that's why their so cheap lately... maybe unrelated...

Here is one of them... I couldn't find the other.
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls-...r-buy-kyb.html
Perhaps I should have said "inexpensive" rather than "cheap". LOL

In that particular thread, the issue seems to be more with the installer, but intersting nonetheless. A couple of posters there said they had good luck with KYB. Not sure if they're still made in Japan, but I've used KYB's in all my cars and never had an issue. My Cobra has KYB's that are nearing 20 years and they're still plugging along. Regardless, they are pretty much the only game in town as suppliers for our cars. Further, they (KYB) makes the OEM struts/shocks on our cars.

On edit: They are made in Malaysia, Japan or the US depending on model.

Last edited by roadfrog; 08-25-16 at 12:02 PM.
Old 08-25-16, 12:23 PM
GR6RR
Intermediate

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I would agree, the OP of that thread is probably just pissed things didn't go as planned. KYB, I've used with previous vehicles with good results, others have as well. Just that thread popped up when I read your post. haha
Old 08-26-16, 06:24 PM
derpie
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by superdenso
The control arm rebuild put new life into my car. It just feels smoother and more contolled; it absorbs imperfections without bouncing all over the place.
Sure be nice to see pictures or even video of this lower control arm and steering knuckle removal. you guys make it seem so easy .
Old 08-27-16, 08:27 AM
Doublebase
Pole Position

Received 351 Likes on 242 Posts

Originally Posted by superdenso
The control arm rebuild put new life into my car. It just feels smoother and more contolled; it absorbs imperfections without bouncing all over the place.
Thats great! I may decide to replace my lower rears this year, and I'll probably just replace the bushings rather than the entire arm as well. I might even try to replace those ball joints, I have access to ball joint presses, etc.

Old 08-27-16, 08:36 AM
Doublebase
Pole Position

Originally Posted by roadfrog
If I do mine anytime soon, I'll replace my shocks at the same time. KYB's are going pretty cheap for our vehicles right now.
I talked to a KYB factory rep in June...this guy really drank the cool aid...had me convinced struts need to be replaced every 50,000 miles on any vehicle. Which I kind of just rolled my eyes on. Then he went into stability assist systems and said a worn strut effects the performance and ability of those systems...ok, I kind of agree, but at 50,000 miles?? No I don't. Then he played me a video of a CRV bouncing all over the place, with the stability assist failing to help because of the worn struts and I was like...those aren't worn struts, those are four completely blown out struts, big difference.

Anyway, it seems like KYB is high quality just talking to this guy - which means nothing I know - but he was knowledgable involving struts and spring rates. Told me KYB doesn't make many complete struts because of the varying spring rates per manufacturer in each of its models (example a Honda LX may have a different spring rate than its EX, therefore it will not perform properly when stability assist kicks in). I found that to be a little extreme, probably correct within a certain threshold, but a bit unorthodox in the world of complete struts and shock companies. KYB needs to sell complete struts to compete with these other companies...this guy certainly told me he was aware of this and they are losing sales because of it.

I wonder if they sell complete units for the LS? Because after talking to this guy I was "motivated" to buy struts, even though mine seem fine. But I'm at the 133,000 mile mark...it's probably not unreasonable to think they could maybe use replacement...it's a heavy car.
Old 08-29-16, 07:29 AM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Received 503 Likes on 382 Posts

Last time I checked (about a year ago), KYB was all there was available for our cars. I found these today: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Full-Set-4-N...hWqSN3&vxp=mtr

And here are the KYB's which are about twice the cost: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Set-of-4-KYB...dXcNTA&vxp=mtr
Old 08-29-16, 04:26 PM
Doublebase
Pole Position

Originally Posted by roadfrog
Last time I checked (about a year ago), KYB was all there was available for our cars. I found these today: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Full-Set-4-N...hWqSN3&vxp=mtr

And here are the KYB's which are about twice the cost: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Set-of-4-KYB...dXcNTA&vxp=mtr
So it looks like no one sells them in complete struts, I prefer the complete strut, it's just so much easier to put in, plus you don't have to worry about taking the strut assembly apart only to find out you need strut towers and rubber insulators. But all well, I guess it's no big deal.