LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

How would YOU sell my 2013 LS460?

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-16, 11:15 AM
williakz
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Default How would YOU sell my 2013 LS460?

I'm sure some of you guys were expecting this shoe to drop.

I've got my 60k mile 2013 LS460 RWD fully up to date on all its major and minor maintenance items (new brake pads, new spark plugs, new tires (actually the OEM Potenzas I stripped and saved when it was new, spare even matches now), new brake fluid, new engine oil and filter, cabin and engine air filters, etc. I purchased the 8-year, 125k mile, $0 deductible, Platinum factory extended warranty at 49k. I'm looking to sell the unit by next February which would leave the new owner 4 years, 55k+ miles on the warranty (equivalent to the factory warranty when bought new). If the buyer doesn't want the warranty, I can cash it in and get a pro-rata refund from Lexus.

I plan on having the car closely detailed and any minor cosmetic defects addressed (paint chips, scuffs, scratches, seat and carpet cleaning, new floor mats, etc.) After all that's done, how would you guys suggest I go about selling it? Craigslist, newspaper (there's still ONE left in town), co-opt a Lexus salesguy and/or indie shop for a side deal, word-of-mouth, etc.? What will get me the best price on the unit? I'm willing and able to show the car, demo it, etc. since I'm retired and am under no time or financial pressure to sell.

Any and all ideas (NOT offers) on how I might go about selling the car would be greatly appreciated.

[Note to moderator: I am NOT selling the car in this forum. I AM asking advice from LS owners on how they suggest I go about selling the car to maximize the selling price.]

Last edited by williakz; 08-14-16 at 12:44 PM. Reason: 125k vs. 120k warranty
Old 08-14-16, 11:48 AM
litesoarer
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

What would you be looking to get out of it? Since you're not in a hurry...
Old 08-14-16, 12:02 PM
LS430FL
Instructor

Received 92 Likes on 78 Posts

I personally actually do like eBay. While none of my cars have actually sold during auction, I have always gotten a buyer through the auction which has led to a sale. They wil send me an email during the auction asking for my number and to see the car. Sold 4 cars 100% sale rate. Price the car fair for the market and I don't see a problem selling it.
Old 08-14-16, 12:13 PM
williakz
Lexus Test Driver

LS430FL: Thanks for the eBay tip. I completely forgot about its huge Auto section.

litesoarer: I'm not seeking a particular price, and I will be entirely satisfied with FMV considering the car's feature set and condition.
Old 08-14-16, 12:34 PM
RayLS
Pole Position

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by williakz
I purchased the 8-year, 120k mile, $0 deductible, Platinum factory extended warranty at 49k. I'm looking to sell the unit by next February which would leave the new owner 4 years, 50k+ miles on the warranty (equivalent to the factory warranty when bought new).
\

Check your Platinum VSA.
I was reviewing mine last night and it says non-transferable.

This alone will affect the selling price.
Old 08-14-16, 12:41 PM
williakz
Lexus Test Driver

Just pulled the VSA documents (found it's for 125k miles, not 120k as originally described). Fully transferrable between private parties, so I'm OK. Is your warranty backed by Lexus or is it a third-party product?

Last edited by williakz; 08-14-16 at 12:45 PM.
Old 08-14-16, 12:56 PM
RayLS
Pole Position

Just pulled the VSA documents (found it's for 125k miles, not 120k as originally described). Fully transferrable between private parties, so I'm OK. Is your warranty backed by Lexus or is it a third-party product?
Backed by Lexus.
Old 08-14-16, 12:59 PM
williakz
Lexus Test Driver

Is the 'CA' in your info California or Canada? If the former, you should definitely look into this; if the latter, I suspect you're running under totally different rules of the road...
Old 08-14-16, 01:35 PM
RayLS
Pole Position

California.
It's not an issue since I don't plan on selling or trading my LS for now.
I'll probably keep it after the extended warranty expires.
The service/maintenance would be expensive but much more reasonable than making 60 monthly payments.
Old 08-14-16, 02:10 PM
williakz
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by RayLS

California.
Something's not right here. There are NO California exclusions whatsoever in the VSA I received from Lexus Financial Services. My warranty is fully transferrable and pro-rata refundable. As I mentioned above, I DID purchase my extended warranty WHILE my vehicle was still under the original Lexus factory warranty of 4 years/50,000 miles.

To avoid confusing and misleading other readers, could you check your VSA again? Perhaps you have a non-transferrable "wrapper" warranty available through Lexus for its CPO vehicles at various terms/mileage combinations.

Last edited by williakz; 08-14-16 at 02:23 PM.
Old 08-14-16, 02:50 PM
Nospinzone

Received 428 Likes on 330 Posts

How about cars.com or autotrader. They probably have the widest audiences. eBay is big too.
Old 08-14-16, 03:28 PM
satiger
Instructor

Received 90 Likes on 65 Posts

How about Carmax?. Are you looking for easy of sale or better sale price?.

As far as Lexus warranty, had one and second is being purchased - both times were told non transferable. Both were purchased before 50k/4 yr factory warranty expired.

Last edited by satiger; 08-14-16 at 03:33 PM.
Old 08-14-16, 03:43 PM
williakz
Lexus Test Driver

Satiger: Lexus-branded extended warranties don't transfer through a used car dealer but only from one private owner directly to another. Also, Carmax is a used car dealer who makes their money buying low and selling high. I want to sell high, so they're my competition, not my customer. I HAVE successfully used Carmax before to get my dealer(s) to "sweeten" their trade-in offers. The dealer hardly ever goes dollar-for-dollar with Carmax due to the sales tax advantage the dealers enjoy on trade-ins.

Nospinzone: I've used cars.com for researching new cars, didn't realize they allow listing of used ones by private owners. I'll check it out. Never heard of autotrader, I'll check them out as well. Thanks for the leads.
Old 08-14-16, 03:52 PM
Chuckinnj
Advanced

Received 77 Likes on 60 Posts

Auto Trader for a "local sale"....... I have always used this site for buying cars.
Old 08-14-16, 04:21 PM
RayLS
Pole Position

Something's not right here. There are NO California exclusions whatsoever in the VSA I received from Lexus Financial Services. My warranty is fully transferrable and pro-rata refundable. As I mentioned above, I DID purchase my extended warranty WHILE my vehicle was still under the original Lexus factory warranty of 4 years/50,000 miles.

To avoid confusing and misleading other readers, could you check your VSA again? Perhaps you have a non-transferrable "wrapper" warranty available through Lexus for its CPO vehicles at various terms/mileage combinations.
Non-transferable.
Purchased my 08 LS CPO with 58K miles. I added the extended Lexus Platinum VSA that same day.

Quick Reply: How would YOU sell my 2013 LS460?