LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

front passenger side antifreeze leak

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-16, 09:16 PM
Tantrix
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default front passenger side antifreeze leak

hello all, I have a 2007 with almost 100k miles.

I noticed antifreeze mixed with condensation water dripping out of a little tube right below the passenger side rocker panel.

I'm assuming it's from the condensation of the AC system but I noticed some green in the water.

the green shouldn't be there right ? anyone know where the source could be from ?

thanks
Old 08-09-16, 05:26 AM
Nospinzone

Received 407 Likes on 315 Posts

Definitely should not be green. Hopefully it is just coming from a hose as that would be the easiest and cheapest fix. If it's coming from a head gasket, that is an expensive fix.

Keep in mind even though the leak is dropping further back, it could be coming from the front and the car's forward momentum flows it further rearward.
Old 08-09-16, 07:26 AM
jmcraney

Received 254 Likes on 194 Posts

Sort of sounds like it may be a leak in the heater core. However you didn't mention any odor of antifreeze. Antifreeze has a very strong, distinct odor, so unless you are "olfactory impaired" it may not be antifreeze.

We haven't had any reports of heater core leaks in this forum that I recall. Let's hope that it is something that would be easier to fix.

Be sure to check your floorboard, under the floor mats, to see if there is any moisture there.

Something else to think about is: Toyota antifreeze is red or pink so take your coolant tank cap off and see what color your coolant is.

Last edited by jmcraney; 08-09-16 at 07:32 AM.
Old 08-09-16, 08:14 AM
Tantrix
Lead Lap

thanks guys.

is there any chance that it's just residue from somewhere? but green antifreeze shouldn't be leaking anywhere right ?
Old 08-09-16, 08:34 AM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Received 505 Likes on 383 Posts

As JMCraney stated, There shouldn't be green coolant in your car. Red or pink unless someone put the wrong coolant in after the factory fill was drained. So as he stated, checking the color in your reservoir tank will be the logical step. You can also dip the tip of your finger in the puddle and with the tip of your tongue, check to see if it has s distinctly sweet taste. If so, then it's coolant. Then, you need to track it down. Based on the location you described, heater core is suspect, but I've never heard of one failing yet.
Old 08-09-16, 08:48 AM
Tantrix
Lead Lap

great thanks.

due to the location of the leak at the passenger side, below the rocker panel drainage pipe, is it possible for it to be coming from a leaky radiator or radiator hose ?

Originally Posted by roadfrog
As JMCraney stated, There shouldn't be green coolant in your car. Red or pink unless someone put the wrong coolant in after the factory fill was drained. So as he stated, checking the color in your reservoir tank will be the logical step. You can also dip the tip of your finger in the puddle and with the tip of your tongue, check to see if it has s distinctly sweet taste. If so, then it's coolant. Then, you need to track it down. Based on the location you described, heater core is suspect, but I've never heard of one failing yet.
Old 08-09-16, 08:56 AM
Nospinzone

Originally Posted by Tantrix
great thanks.

due to the location of the leak at the passenger side, below the rocker panel drainage pipe, is it possible for it to be coming from a leaky radiator or radiator hose ?
Anything is possible. There have been reports of a radiator connection cracking or even breaking off. In fact if I recall correctly roadfrog had that problem. Obviously if it broke off you would be losing all your coolant.

I would park the car in your driveway and let it run for 5 minutes. Then get underneath and see if you see where the leak is coming from.
Old 08-09-16, 09:06 AM
jmcraney

Received 254 Likes on 194 Posts

A major component of most antifreeze is ethylene glycol. Ethylene glycol is extremely toxic to humans and animals. Just a teaspoon in a 24oz soft drink is often fatal. Dogs frequently die from licking spilled antifreeze.

Please don't put anything in your mouth or on your tongue that might be antifreeze. Even though a small amount on your tongue may not kill you, you may suffer some permanent damage to your health.
Old 08-09-16, 09:31 AM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

As JMCraney said, let the car run and see if you can spot the leak....BUT make sure the AC is off so that condensation doesn't come into play.
Old 08-09-16, 12:22 PM
Tantrix
Lead Lap

ok assuming my radiator is filled with the red pink antifreeze, where else could this green antifreeze be coming from ?
Old 08-09-16, 01:24 PM
jud149
Advanced

Received 138 Likes on 107 Posts

ok assuming my radiator is filled with the red pink antifreeze, where else could this green antifreeze be coming from ?
I wouldn't assume what's in the radiator. You could take it to a radiator shop and have the coolant system pressured tested to find out the origin of the leak. Speculating on the Forum is not worth much. Good luck.
Old 08-09-16, 01:30 PM
Nospinzone

Ireland?

jud149 is right. It doesn't sound like you are a DIYer. Take it to a shop you trust and have them take a look at it.
Old 08-09-16, 07:51 PM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

LOL. If the coolant is pink in your rad/reservoir, it's NOT possible for there to be any green coolant anywhere else in the system.....that's the point. So instead of asking more "what-ifs", follow our hints above and then we'll gladly go from there. Otherwise, we're just chasing our tails.

But I agree with the other's speculations, and sense that you might be better off taking this to a shop.
Old 08-10-16, 01:22 AM
Tantrix
Lead Lap

sorry for all the ignorant questions guys. Im kinda new to the ls460.

if the coolant fluid is more red or pink color, then is there a chance the green I saw was a freon leak ? Im stumped.
Old 08-10-16, 04:11 AM
Rhambler
Lexus Test Driver

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Well, it could also be green assuming a previous owner filled it with green antifreeze? Are you the first owner?

Maybe peak inside a cool radiator and look?

Quick Reply: front passenger side antifreeze leak