LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

2017 or 2018 LS?

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-16, 05:15 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,521 Likes on 1,819 Posts

New models are a normal part of vehicle depreciation. I don't think theres going to be a huge crater in value, there never is. Values will continue to slip, biggest hit will be to 13-17 models not 07s.
Old 08-31-16, 04:48 AM
redlight30
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Interesting thoughts so far. I know going from an LS to an RX or the like will be a step down but if that's where the chips fall so be it. I will look at the new Q7 as someone pointed out and the BMW X5 as well. Will the Jeep a look too as I haven't really looked at those in 10+ years. I am not really a fan of the GX or LX look. If the boss wants the convertible I need something to put the bikes/kayaks on!
Old 08-31-16, 06:55 AM
seanl
Intermediate

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by redlight30
Interesting thoughts so far. I know going from an LS to an RX or the like will be a step down but if that's where the chips fall so be it. I will look at the new Q7 as someone pointed out and the BMW X5 as well. Will the Jeep a look too as I haven't really looked at those in 10+ years. I am not really a fan of the GX or LX look. If the boss wants the convertible I need something to put the bikes/kayaks on!
Redlight, I own both a RX and a LS (and owned two LS400s). While the RX isn't on the same level of the LS, my CPO RX has been very reliable over the past 3.5 years and it's used primarily around town to haul a 1 and 3 year old. The RX has plenty of room for my family and looks / drives fine. I looked at other mid-sized SUVs including X5 and Acura MDX. The Q7 and X5 are going to have problems even new, let alone long term. And before considering a Jeep, take a good look at their reliability ratings -- Yikes and no thanks.

It all depends on your priorities. I simply don't have time to be ferrying a German SUV to the dealer all the time to fix things, no matter how great it drives. My brother even bought a new '13 RX350 after checking out mine and he's been very happy with it. Now they're considering a used LS 460 as they don't have a full size sedan in their fleet...
Old 08-31-16, 07:07 AM
situman
Pole Position

Received 162 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by SW15LS
Its a good looking vehicle (its not a truck, its on a Camry chassis), but drive one back to back with an LS. Its nowhere near as well built, solid or substantial feeling, or as refined. Its a much less expensive vehicle and you feel that. If you go say drive an LX, it would be a different story. Even the LX though, while its just as refined as the LS over the road, build and material quality isn't the same in places, the interior has some hard plastic areas where the LS has none, etc.

If a $46,000 RX felt as solid and substantial as an LS wouldn't all us $75,000+ LS owners be a little peeved?

If I were going to spend $60k on a two row SUV I would buy a Summit trim Grand Cherokee. More solid and refined than the RX, much nicer inside, more capable. If you must have a luxury brand I would spend a little more and get a nicely equipped X5, or new Audi Q7. The RX just isn't a vehicle that has ever appealed to me at all. Much more compelling vehicles out there IMHO.
Don't think its really the price that makes the RX less of a vehicle. I think its that giant gaping hole in the back of all non-bof suvs that compromises rigidity. I do agree that as a flagship the LS has to be better in every way.
Old 08-31-16, 07:09 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by seanl
Redlight, I own both a RX and a LS (and owned two LS400s). While the RX isn't on the same level of the LS, my CPO RX has been very reliable over the past 3.5 years and it's used primarily around town to haul a 1 and 3 year old. The RX has plenty of room for my family and looks / drives fine.
Thats exactly it. They're "fine". They look and drive "fine". I don't see any reason to go to an RX over something cheaper, because its "just fine". Going from a car that is really special in one way or the other (what makes the LS really special is the smoothness, quietness and refinement, quality of the interior, etc) to a car that is "just fine" is tough, I've done it. The other cars I've mentioned aren't going to be as reliable as an RX, but they have the added benefit of having a level of "specialness" that the RX doesn't have. The Jeep is more polished and refined and has a better interior, the Audi is those things and has more space and way better technology, the X5 is those things also, be sure to look at one with the nappa interior package.

If being reliable was the only thing that mattered to us we would all be driving Toyota Corollas. Its important, but if you're a car enthusiast and you want something that is really excellent in some way, you have to balance all those needs. The RX is very competent, but it isn't excellent at anything thats my issue with it. Same with the ES. Its very good, and I've had two that I enjoyed, but there are cars for that money that are excellent out there now.
Old 08-31-16, 07:29 AM
seanl
Intermediate

If being reliable was the only thing that mattered to us we would all be driving Toyota Corollas. Its important, but if you're a car enthusiast and you want something that is really excellent in some way, you have to balance all those needs. The RX is very competent, but it isn't excellent at anything that's my issue with it. Same with the ES. Its very good, and I've had two that I enjoyed, but there are cars for that money that are excellent out there now.
Totally agree on balancing needs. As I car enthusiast, I think I have just about the best (used) luxury sedan for the money, and the best (used) sports car for the money given my budget.

Reliability isn't everything, but I've owned just about every brand out there and have to balance my time and $...I think we can all agree that Lexus is a good balance.

The RX *is* competent and my wife likes the way it drives and looks, which works for me--I spent mid 30s out the door for it with 28K miles. Now 3.5 years later we're at 46K miles and it's holding up well and we haven't outgrown it. Is it special like my LS Sport or 911 Turbo, of course not...it's a F'ing Camry Truck !

Last edited by seanl; 08-31-16 at 07:35 AM.
Old 08-31-16, 07:57 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by seanl
The RX *is* competent and my wife likes the way it drives and looks, which works for me--I spent mid 30s out the door for it with 28K miles. Now 3.5 years later we're at 46K miles and it's holding up well and we haven't outgrown it. Is it special like my LS Sport or 911 Turbo, of course not...it's a F'ing Camry Truck !
Your wife likes it, but its not your primary car. Here's a question, if your wife wanted a convertible and you wanted to keep an SUV in the family, would you be happy driving that RX as your primary vehicle instead of your LS? Would you miss the qualities the LS has that it lacks?

Remember too that a new well optioned RX is $55,000-60,000. Lots of other vehicles out there in that price range that do in fact have special qualities. Hell, I'd rather have a Ford Explorer Platinum...I really would.

I get the desire to have an SUV in the family, I considered an SUV when we got the minivan, and I considered trading my GS in for the van and keeping the Jeep myself, but the numbers on that didn't work. I would just shop the competitors and not pull the trigger on the RX just because its a Lexus is my point.

Reliability isn't everything, but I've owned just about every brand out there and have to balance my time and $...I think we can all agree that Lexus is a good balance.
It depends on the model. Its getting better, but for a while there Lexus was seriously slipping on the non-reliability areas. Like I said, I wouldn't choose an RX and probably not an ES (although the 16 refresh is nice), wouldn't choose a GX, or CT.

Bottom line is competitors are catching up in reliability, AND producing way more special cars. Lexus needs to step it up.
Old 08-31-16, 08:42 AM
seanl
Intermediate

Your wife likes it, but its not your primary car. Here's a question, if your wife wanted a convertible and you wanted to keep an SUV in the family, would you be happy driving that RX as your primary vehicle instead of your LS? Would you miss the qualities the LS has that it lacks?
While I do drive the RX350 just about every morning on a short run to the daycare and montessori, I of course see your point. I could drive the RX every day without major complaint, but it's not the same as the LS and having ~17 years of LS ownership under my belt I have grown quite used to the LS build quality and experience.

The RX is lacking a bit in the power department and the 'ol 3.5 V6 could use another 50hp and more importantly another 50 ft lbs of torque, so yes, Lexus has fallen a bit behind with their V6s.

Why Lexus chose to not add more power to their V6 or have a V8 powered RX is beyond me. RX 460 F-Sport would be special IMO.

And I agree, Lexus does need to step it up a bit. I actually wanted to buy newer GS, but I didn't want/need the GS-F and that V6 just didn't do it for me. Again, Lexus is missing the boat, at least my boat by not having a more powerful (or V8) in their mid size cars.

Old 08-31-16, 09:08 AM
redlight30
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

seanL - that was going to be my question as well would you be happy driving the RX as your only vehicle? I drive about 15k / year and while I love the LS and all it has I am not convinced I'd miss it ( but who knows until it happens). I had a 2004 RX before my 1st LS and really liked it and I was driving more then. I don't really have the room/need/want for 3 vehicles so if the household CEO wants a convertible parliament has indeed voted 1-0!
Old 08-31-16, 12:43 PM
seanl
Intermediate

Originally Posted by redlight30
seanL - that was going to be my question as well would you be happy driving the RX as your only vehicle? I drive about 15k / year and while I love the LS and all it has I am not convinced I'd miss it ( but who knows until it happens). I had a 2004 RX before my 1st LS and really liked it and I was driving more then. I don't really have the room/need/want for 3 vehicles so if the household CEO wants a convertible parliament has indeed voted 1-0!
Yeah, that's a pretty tough question....but it would really depend on the use case. I am not a truck/SUV guy, so the only reason we have an RX is due to having small children--it is much easier for me to put them in their child seats in the RX vs. my LS. And ditto for the stroller.