LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Apexi throttle controller unit

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-16, 07:41 PM
hmooblis
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Apexi throttle controller unit

Befor I spend the $215 on the controller, anyone here have any advice or reviews on the item? I am experiencing the dreaded lexus throttle lag and was wondering if this would help correct the problem? I have an 08 ls460 and although I do daily drive the car, speeding up to pass a car can be challenge. It's as if I'm back in my honda civic with the powerband, not something I would expect from a 380hp V8. Other notes... seems like the transmission has to search for the right gear, sometimes going 2 gears down. The motor does really open up after 4.5k rpm

So essentially, would this thing put my base ls460 into sport mode and improve the overall response of the car?
Old 08-01-16, 04:01 AM
superdenso
Instructor

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

It wouldn't be the most money thrown at the LS drivetrain lag. Really hope it goes well for you
Old 08-01-16, 06:19 AM
Kennyr44
Lead Lap

Received 59 Likes on 49 Posts

I have the Sprint Booster (Same idea) on my V6 4 Runner. It works great. I dont need it on my LS460 but it would be fun to try one. At $289 its not going to happen though.
Old 08-01-16, 06:42 AM
greg3852
Lexus Test Driver

Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts

Was just reading about them here. https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rc-...d-threads.html

Whether or not it is mental I don't know. I'd like to see concrete numbers
Old 08-01-16, 06:31 PM
hmooblis
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for the replies... will probably go ahead and purchase it. Will do a mini review in a week or so
Old 08-01-16, 10:27 PM
Dr. Jekyll
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 25 Posts

What year is your car? It doesn't have a sport mode? I'm not familiar with this throttle lag you speak of.
Old 08-02-16, 01:36 AM
hmooblis
Driver School Candidate

It's a 08 ls460. No sports mode, just the 8spd shift mode. There's only lag when you step on the gas and open up the throttle more than half way. I would say about a 1 second lag. A simple search would provide that this is a ongoing problem for many lexus owners
Old 08-02-16, 07:15 AM
Littleguy
Intermediate

Received 44 Likes on 32 Posts

I've run a Power FC on a couple of cars in the past so I know Apex'i makes a good product. I was looking at this one from Buddy Club the other day.

https://www.vividracing.com/catalog/...FQdehgodYUYHug
Old 08-02-16, 09:08 AM
brianlin87
Resident JDM Snob

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

If my memory serves me correctly, I think this mod essentially engages the throttle earlier with less pressure from the pedal.

In addition to the Apex'I one, I believe Blitz and Tom's manufacture one as well.

Old 08-02-16, 09:22 AM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Received 505 Likes on 383 Posts

Originally Posted by brianlin87
If my memory serves me correctly, I think this mod essentially engages the throttle earlier with less pressure from the pedal.

In addition to the Apex'I one, I believe Blitz and Tom's manufacture one as well.
Correct...it merely makes the throttle respond sooner and with more "oomph". No power increase or improved performance. Some have reported that these devices are annoying and negatively change the dynamics of the throttle. I doubt that it will change the transmissions response.
Old 08-02-16, 12:13 PM
Dr. Jekyll
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by hmooblis
It's a 08 ls460. No sports mode, just the 8spd shift mode. There's only lag when you step on the gas and open up the throttle more than half way. I would say about a 1 second lag. A simple search would provide that this is a ongoing problem for many lexus owners
Got it, I have 2014 with Sport Plus option that resolves this issue. I also had a 2004 with a sport mode. Bummer Lexus didn't include it as a standard feature for the 2008s
Old 08-02-16, 06:04 PM
hmooblis
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Dr. Jekyll
Got it, I have 2014 with Sport Plus option that resolves this issue. I also had a 2004 with a sport mode. Bummer Lexus didn't include it as a standard feature for the 2008s
Yes, lexus flopped on the 4gen LS flagship car. Definitely considering trading in for a 2014 gs350 f sport if this mod doesn't relieve the lag
Old 08-02-16, 06:12 PM
hmooblis
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Littleguy
I've run a Power FC on a couple of cars in the past so I know Apex'i makes a good product. I was looking at this one from Buddy Club the other day.

https://www.vividracing.com/catalog/...FQdehgodYUYHug
What's your experience with the product? I'm surprised the item is in backstock. What I really want to know is if the controller engages the motor to get a quicker response or will it essentially be the same thing as me stepping on the gas peddle harder like a mad man?

Sorry, the wording is a bit hard to understand. From my understanding, lexus built the car as more of a cruiser, thus retarding the throttle. I like it so that if I had to step on the gas peddle half way to pass a car, that it would do it with ease and no lag
Old 08-02-16, 06:56 PM
Kennyr44
Lead Lap

Received 59 Likes on 49 Posts

Its the same as a Sprint Booster. All it is going to do is mimic stepping on the gas harder. The switch at the gas pedal is a potentiometer that sends the signal to the electronic throttle. I think a Sprint Booster type device on a 8 speed trans will just cause more havoc. My 07 has a sport mode but I don't use it since the only lag I ever feel is the 8 speed trans trying to drop or raise 2 or 3 speeds at a time. Too many speeds. 5 6 or 7 feels better to me. I don't have any experience with the engine lag people are talking about. The Sprint Booster works wonders with my 5 speed 4 runner V6 though. Its a match made in heaven. It has lots of pedal travel and only 285 HP. I don't think the LS460 is a match for these devices, but I'm curious to hear the results if someone tries it.
Old 08-02-16, 09:07 PM
hmooblis
Driver School Candidate

Can someone confirm if 07-08 models had sport mode? Where would the switch be? Not just the 8spd shift mode

Quick Reply: Apexi throttle controller unit