LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

2018 Lexus LS Spy shots

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-16, 03:37 AM
Rhambler
Lexus Test Driver

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

One thing I noticed with these images versus the ones released in May is that the rear passenger window is different. The c pillar is different, too.

I can't tell if it's subterfuge on their part or if something changed, which isn't out of the question. In fact the general shape, especially the rear, looks much different between the two versions.

It's definitely an LS, though. It's too big and too similar in length to the existing LS to not be it.

From May: look closely at the side rear window shape.

July: the side rear window is different as with the C pillar.

Last edited by Rhambler; 07-29-16 at 03:41 AM.
Old 07-29-16, 05:44 AM
dlbuckls10
Racer

Received 96 Likes on 80 Posts

Hmmmm! Interesting but time will tell what the next top secret generation LS will look like.
Old 07-29-16, 05:55 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,520 Likes on 1,818 Posts

The pictures from May are the current LS body, which is why the Windows are different.
Old 07-29-16, 06:29 AM
Rhambler
Lexus Test Driver

If the May pictures are the current body, why would they feel the need to disguise it?

The front and rear of the May car looks different to me. The air dams on the front and the amount of indent on the rear.

Maybe the May pictures were for the 2017 with a revised front and new lights and the recent photos the 2018 on the new platform? It's either that or the May mule didn't have all of the new body panels and maybe they were just anxious to test the inner mechanics (like new engine) before these cosmetic changes were ready?
Old 07-29-16, 06:53 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,520 Likes on 1,818 Posts

Because the May pictures are a test mule that incorporates elements of the new car and the old car. You can see that in the front and rear as you mentioned.

Is be shocked if we saw any cosmetic change before the all new platform.

These new pictures are the car being tested with the actual new body. A natural progression from the previous test mule.
Old 07-29-16, 07:39 AM
sktn77a
Lead Lap

Received 292 Likes on 257 Posts

I think they are both the same car (current LS), mocked up to look like something new and keep the spy photographers busy!
Old 07-29-16, 09:28 AM
comotiger
Pole Position

Received 292 Likes on 251 Posts

If the rear window looks anything like in the new picture, I would be disappointed because it is ugly
Old 07-29-16, 10:11 AM
GR6RR
Intermediate

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

^ I agree with that! The window just gets cut off...and also to me, the hump on the fender, it seems as it'll distract from the lines of the car.
Old 07-29-16, 10:17 AM
Rhambler
Lexus Test Driver

I think that fender hump is just an illusion caused by the wind being caught there. These pictures are of a moving car.

I personally like the coupe look, but I agree that the rear quarter-panel window looks artificial. It could frankly be disguising. Even the quarter-panel window bar looks artificial.

Actually if you zoom in, that quarter-panel window bar just looks like tape. It could be just a fake out to throw off the shape of the rear window and real quarter-panel window bar is where the body cover begins, meaning there's some window behind the body covers.

Honestly, the shape looks more like the FC than anything else, especially the rear. There's also a distinctive shape around the front fender and wheel well, unless of course that too is disguised in a way to purporsely make it look that way.

In any case, I'm stoked. Can't wait to see what it looks like.

Last edited by Rhambler; 07-29-16 at 10:20 AM.
Old 08-04-16, 05:12 PM
Rhambler
Lexus Test Driver

I think the latest pictures show the FC, which means that could indeed be the new LS, unless they disguised it to look like it to throw us off. Or, what we saw is the FC and maybe it's an entirely different car than the new LS?

Look at the shape and the rear windows. They are almost a spitting image. In fact, they are IMO.

That would be interesting if the FC is indeed the new LS. Going from concept to production that quickly is amazing.

Also, I distinctly remember seeing that weird indent in the rear of the first test mule, that looked nothing like the FC. It mirrors the indent on the FC.

Last edited by Rhambler; 08-04-16 at 05:15 PM.
Old 08-05-16, 06:58 AM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Received 505 Likes on 383 Posts

The front fender well hump looks identical as well.
Old 08-05-16, 09:06 AM
Tec80
Advanced

Received 126 Likes on 98 Posts

The windsheld rake is more extreme on this latest one, it looks sleeker and lower. The rear decklid is even shorter than before. It would be really cool if it was a hatchback with fold-down rear seats. Yes, it would be a bit out of character, but totally practical and useful. I often wish for that functionality to allow carrying larger items, vs. having to use the other, less-comfy-on-a-trip vehicles...
Old 08-05-16, 03:33 PM
Littleguy
Intermediate

Received 44 Likes on 32 Posts

I would guess it will look something like the LF FC, which is a very good thing.
Old 08-05-16, 04:25 PM
Rhambler
Lexus Test Driver

Yeah, I guessed incorrectly a while ago that the new LS will look anything like the FC just because of the concept release date versus actual proposed release (too short). If what is coming is indeed a slight derivation of the FC, it will be amazing.

I also noticed the windshield rake is less than the concept, which makes sense as lowering the rake increases overall interior volume, so, on brochures or what have you, they can say x cubic feet versus y. It's also a bit more realistic, so that's an expected, real-world change. The trunk, though, is another matter entirely. I can't tell nor do I remember if Lexus mentioned the FC as a hatchback like the A7? Looking at the photo of the rear of the FC is hard to determine although the proportions are certainly ripe for it.

In either case, the trunk seems smaller. A hatchback will increase the space slightly, at least in the vertical direction so again, they can say, hey, we have X cubic feet of trunk space. In either case, I just hope to god they put in a spare. A full-size spare to boot like what I have now. I can't stand MB and BMW's insistence on run flats and no spare. Please Lexus, DO NOT DO THIS. Run flats suck and having no spare sucks even more. I'm grateful I have a full-size spare.

So, I'm pretty much dead set on getting one when my lease is up. I just want a 467 HP engine or whatever magical turbo wonder they may stuff in there (V8 of course). I may either lease again or just buy and the only reason I may lease again is so that three years later I can buy into a more later build date. I'm eventually going to settle on a car that I can keep for ten years.

Of course, this could all be a ruse or another car entirely.
Old 08-05-16, 11:43 PM
Meraki Autoworks
Your #1 Lexus Vendor

Received 668 Likes on 590 Posts

Woaw.

-Josh

Your #1 Dealer for Aftermarket Performance Products
Orange County, CA
Email: info@merakiautoworks.com
Text/Call: 213 394 2886

Quick Reply: 2018 Lexus LS Spy shots