LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Parking strategy

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-16, 10:00 AM
LexiJeff
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My .02 FWIW

I didn't see anyone mention angling, so I will. In addition to striving to minimize risk by taking end spots, next to handicaps, not on grade, etc., I also try to employ an "angle strategy". That is, if you pull into the space at a slight angle, with the rear corner closer to the next space and your nose angled away, when someone pulls into that space, the natural tendency is to see the corner of the car and gauge how far away the are based on that. If you don't angle too severely, you typically wind up with a couple inches more distance where they open the door than if you'd pulled in straight on. If you angle too aggressively though, it tends to backfire, they park angled too.

One other thing, call it "the lesser of two evils", is, I try to ensure my driver's side is the side facing the end, or handicap, etc., because if I'm going to get a ding or chip, I'd at least rather have it on the passenger side, so I don't go all OCD every time I walk up to the car and see it. The other side of that OCD is when I do walk up, I always take a paranoid gawk at the side next to the asshat that parked next to me to see if I got any gifties. Speaking of those asshats, why is it you can park at the furthest corner of the lot with 20 spaces around you, and there's always a clown that's gotta park next to you anyway! Ha.
Old 09-20-16, 08:01 PM
comotiger
Pole Position

Received 292 Likes on 251 Posts

I took my car to work today for the first time (usually drive the Legacy or Sienna). I lucked out by finding an end spot! What a relief

Old 09-20-16, 08:07 PM
Dr. Jekyll
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 25 Posts

Man you gotta back it up and stand on that line to maximize the spacing between you and that truck.
Old 09-20-16, 08:42 PM
comotiger
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Dr. Jekyll
Man you gotta back it up and stand on that line to maximize the spacing between you and that truck.
LOL, received loud and clear. Beginner's mistake.....
Old 09-20-16, 09:25 PM
Dr. Jekyll
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 25 Posts

Just saying that owner does not look like he'd care if the door swung into yours. AN assumption I know but it's not a Porsche you know...
Old 10-25-16, 04:58 PM
comotiger
Pole Position

Dr. J, does this pass muster?? Sorry to hear about your railroad to nowhere.....

Old 10-26-16, 03:45 AM
satiger
Instructor

Received 90 Likes on 65 Posts

AC, your parking garage has some inner spots, if they are not reserved will pick one of those. When I park in garage, first will look for inner spots, thus avoiding exposing front end of the car to sun, rain etc. Call me ..............what ever, but that's what I do, some times I drive my family crazy.....
Old 10-26-16, 05:18 AM
AL13NV8D3R
Instructor

Received 33 Likes on 22 Posts

In addition to parking strategies that you all use I also always wrap my car from bumper to bumper paint protection film aka clear bra. I wrap my cars either the same day i bought it or the next day. That way if all my parking strategies fails and some clown decides to door bump my car or key it the damage would be minimal. Small dents can be PDR'd. So far i have zero scratches on my car. When the clear bra on a door panal gets old and starts showing signs of damage from other cars bumping into it i simply remove it carfully and take the car back to where i have it install and pay for them to put it back on. I just did just that and was surprised to see a pristine door paint like it was when i bought the car new even though the film itself shows tons of scratches and scuffs and yellowing. PPF/CB was worth every penny.
Old 10-26-16, 06:09 AM
comotiger
Pole Position

Originally Posted by satiger
AC, your parking garage has some inner spots, if they are not reserved will pick one of those. When I park in garage, first will look for inner spots, thus avoiding exposing front end of the car to sun, rain etc. Call me ..............what ever, but that's what I do, some times I drive my family crazy.....
Yeah, there are a few of those spots. They fill up first, but they are also in high traffic corners, and I am paranoid about someone taking a turn too fast and smashing into my rear. That's never happened, of course, as far as I know, but I would be wondering all day! I am beginning to drive my family crazy when I hunt for spots at strip malls and such . Ah, the perils of owning an LS...

Originally Posted by AL13NV8D3R
In addition to parking strategies that you all use I also always wrap my car from bumper to bumper paint protection film aka clear bra. I wrap my cars either the same day i bought it or the next day. That way if all my parking strategies fails and some clown decides to door bump my car or key it the damage would be minimal. PPF/CB was worth every penny.
Wow, all around protection must be pretty expensive. I didn't know one could install plastic film on all painted panels (doors, trunk lid etc.). Roof too?? I guess peace of mind comes at a price, whether for ding protection or extended warranties.
Old 10-26-16, 06:42 AM
seanl
Intermediate

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I'd call that pretty normal my book!
Old 10-26-16, 07:09 AM
2v1g
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

That will make life less easy. I think there is more important things to worry about than little scratches and dings on the car.

I buy 4-5 years old pre-owned, drive 4 years and sell it. I don't take extra care, but when I sell it, the interior & exterior condition are almost the same comparing the day I got it.
Old 10-26-16, 07:25 AM
Bliz460
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This thread is funny. I find myself doing much of the same, I just didn't know other people were similar. I get lots of exercise parking way in the back of the grocery store parking lot. And I will never ever valet my car. And yes, this drives my wife nuts. But ya know what? My soon to be traded in 2013 VW is scratch free. Meanwhile her 2015 Ford has several scratches and door dings already.
Old 10-26-16, 07:59 AM
CRowe14
Lexus Test Driver

Received 64 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by Dr. Jekyll
comotiger: Beautiful LS!

I love this!!
While looking at the photo and before reading the Dr.'s response, I immediately thought the EXACT same thing! I thought "Look at all of that space he has to the drivers side!!"
I have an older LS, however its is nearly ding free. The only ding on it was there from when I bought it and I've had it for nearly 2 years.
I too used to drive my wife crazy with my parking habits, but she understands it now. I wont park at angles, but will park as far away as possible, or if I must park near a curb, I hug that thing to the point where there may be a half inch between the curb and my tires.

Bliz: I can so relate! The sides of my LS and even my older car are nearly dent/ding free. My wifes Pilot on the other hand, which is only 4 years old...sometimes I just scratch my head...
Old 10-26-16, 10:31 AM
CRowe14
Lexus Test Driver

Received 64 Likes on 45 Posts

Out at lunch and in this particular lot, this is the best I could grab!
Attached Thumbnails Parking strategy-imag2345.jpg  
Old 10-26-16, 12:44 PM
AL13NV8D3R
Instructor

Received 33 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by comotiger
Yeah, there are a few of those spots. They fill up first, but they are also in high traffic corners, and I am paranoid about someone taking a turn too fast and smashing into my rear. That's never happened, of course, as far as I know, but I would be wondering all day! I am beginning to drive my family crazy when I hunt for spots at strip malls and such . Ah, the perils of owning an LS...

Wow, all around protection must be pretty expensive. I didn't know one could install plastic film on all painted panels (doors, trunk lid etc.). Roof too?? I guess peace of mind comes at a price, whether for ding protection or extended warranties.
People wrap there cars all the time. I do business with alot of successful people and many of them drive Ferrari's and Lambos and thats where I got the idea from. Some exotics come with PPF/CB preinstalled at time of purchase. Its not as expensive as it seems. I have been using my installer guy for many years on 15+ cars and we are good friends too so he gives me a great discount. He doesnt do it for a living though because he is a perfectionist and would not make much money becuase he is too ocd and he usually take a couple of days to get it done on his spare time. So if you can find someone like my friend it would be worth it. It usually cost me about $1100 to $1500 for all painted surfaces, depending on what car and what brand of film i want to try.

I have gotten price quotes from dealers and installers ranging from $2500 to $5000 to get whole car wrapped. I usually drive my cars till the transmission or engine breaks before getting a new one so sometimes i keep cars for more than 10 years and all of them have pristine paint when i sell them or trade them. So from looking outside people think the car was new but in reality the interior and drivetrain is dying or broken.

Last edited by AL13NV8D3R; 10-26-16 at 12:49 PM.

Quick Reply: Parking strategy