LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

New Battery

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-16, 08:50 AM
DarKnight
Lexus Champion

Received 52 Likes on 38 Posts
Default New Battery

Hey fellas, I'm considering changing out the battery on my 2007 LS460. I've only looked at a couple of options: DieHard Gold and Optima Red Top. What have you guys used and what have been your results?
Old 07-25-16, 10:17 AM
Tec80
Advanced

Received 126 Likes on 98 Posts

Interstate from Costco. Best price and warranty.
Old 07-25-16, 07:37 PM
teedub21
Pole Position

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Are you on the original battery on your 07? I was checking for codes on my 11 with my new Carista app and there were a couple stored even though the CEL wasn't on. One was for low positive battery terminal voltage. Was assuming my 11 was on the original battery and it may be getting tired although it fires right up no problem.
Old 07-25-16, 07:50 PM
superdenso
Instructor

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

Optima Yellow 34/78
Old 07-26-16, 02:32 AM
DarKnight
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by teedub21
Are you on the original battery on your 07? I was checking for codes on my 11 with my new Carista app and there were a couple stored even though the CEL wasn't on. One was for low positive battery terminal voltage. Was assuming my 11 was on the original battery and it may be getting tired although it fires right up no problem.
Based on the service history it's been replaced twice the last time being June of 2012.
Old 07-26-16, 02:33 AM
DarKnight
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by superdenso
Optima Yellow 34/78
Why Yellow over Red?
Old 07-26-16, 04:15 AM
Shibumi1
Lexus Champion

Received 84 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by DarKnight
Why Yellow over Red?
That's a common mistake... definitely get the red top optima. yellows are considered deep cycle where their strength is the same as the red.. but the yellow will only take a 10amp charge max!!! so it takes 5x longer to recharge a yellow vs the red.. red tops can reach 80% max charge in 15mins... the advantage (why people think yellows are better) to yellows are if u plan on sitting in a parking lot for hrs with the engine off blasting music.. then yellow but then you'll also have to spend hrs to recharge it.. (something most people don't do.. then the batt fails an they wonder why) but for any other application the red is the best (short of blues. which are strictly marine) I suggest the SC34U.. best place to buy is Amazon (if u have prime) free next day shipping $145 no core charge. I have an interstate batt account.. an Amazon is cheaper..
Old 07-26-16, 04:23 AM
Shibumi1
Lexus Champion

side note to all the parking lot pimps... a gallon of gas is only $2.... please run the engine, it will save your amps an charging system.. a few gallons of gas is much cheaper than buying a new batt.. or new amps.. fyi amps get hot due to lack of voltage!!! also make sure u ALWAYS USE 100% COPPER WIRE ONLY!!!!!!! (companies are now selling CCA copper clad aluminum DON'T USE THIS)
The following users liked this post:
diamente (05-25-18)
Old 07-26-16, 04:27 AM
Shibumi1
Lexus Champion

feel free to pm me if u have any questions....
Old 07-26-16, 05:09 AM
superdenso
Instructor

Why Yellow over Red?
Shibumi makes excellent points. However the number of computer systems that remain in an active state in the LS is what pushed me towards the yellow battery. So if you have the door closers, power trunk, folding mirrors, the alarm system, and who knows what else is going on...the yellow will bail you out. I don't buy batteries online I buy them from Advance Auto. The manufacturer places a date on the battery and as long as it's less than 4 months old it's mine for 6yrs.
http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/web...&storeId=10151

The LS is not a 64' Buick Roadmaster, the LS is constantly drawing power from the battery while the ignition is off. For instance, when you walk up to the vehicle the sensor recognizes your smart key and turns on the courtesy lights. In order to pull off this action a computer must remain powered up. But, if you disconnect your battery everytime you exit the car go for a "starting" battery. I do not recommend sitting idle in a running auto...this is just bad for the environment as well as the parts. Unless you're driving, please shut off your V8 sir. Safety First
http://www.health.ri.gov/healthrisks...arbonmonoxide/

Last edited by superdenso; 07-26-16 at 06:15 AM.
Old 07-26-16, 05:24 AM
Doublebase
Pole Position

Received 352 Likes on 243 Posts

I have a Napa gold with a two year warranty. Personally I don't really give a lot of thought to car batteries...isn't there only like two companies in the world that make the internals of batteries? If so that means there really isn't much of a difference besides the case, warranty and posts...plus the fancy stickers.

I've had success with every battery I've ever owned. Usually I just buy a battery from my local Walmart, but they hit you with a core charge until you bring your old battery back (which is a pain for me). But I have a Walmart battery in my old Honda Accord right now...it's going on 6 years without a single problem.

I think it largely depends on the vehicle you own, some are harder on batteries than others...especially the ones with lots of memory and electronics like ours. There are certainly higher quality versions of batteries within each brand...some with stronger grates to hold the sponge lead...some with better case design that keeps the sediment from shorting out the cells on the bottom...but I haven't had any issues with any of them. It's the various types of cars that I think is the real issue.
Old 07-26-16, 06:09 AM
DarKnight
Lexus Champion

So if I go with an Optima battery, is it the 25 or 34? Optima and Amazon websites say it's the 25 for my car. Thanks.
Old 07-26-16, 06:34 AM
superdenso
Instructor

Default Glad you considered Optima

So if I go with an Optima battery, is it the 25 or 34? Optima and Amazon websites say it's the 25 for my car. Thanks.
I went with the 34/78 and adjusted the tie down left arm away from the battery negative (-) terminal. Advanced Auto sells the battery "TODAY" for $192.00 ($240 less a 20% discount). You purchase the battery online and pick it up in the store "TODAY". The Red Top 25 is suggested on the Optima website:

https://www.optimabatteries.com/en-u...FYVehgodaKwMoA

Red top suggested retail is 220 and Yelllow top is 257. Advanced Auto sells both for $192.00 ($240 less a 20% discount).
Old 07-26-16, 07:14 AM
R Z
Pole Position

Received 339 Likes on 259 Posts

I went with an AutoZone battery. They have a good / better / best choice for our car. I went with the better or the Duralast Gold. Been just under 2 years and no problems.
Old 07-26-16, 07:19 AM
DarKnight
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by superdenso
I went with the 34/78 and adjusted the tie down left arm away from the battery negative (-) terminal. Advanced Auto sells the battery "TODAY" for $192.00 ($240 less a 20% discount). You purchase the battery online and pick it up in the store "TODAY". The Red Top 25 is suggested on the Optima website:

https://www.optimabatteries.com/en-u...FYVehgodaKwMoA

Red top suggested retail is 220 and Yelllow top is 257. Advanced Auto sells both for $192.00 ($240 less a 20% discount).
Actually I've been using discount code TRT30 for years and you get 30% or up to $50 off for online orders. Just a tip, if you order more than one item and one of the items gets you the max discount of $50 just order the items separately so you get the max discount on all your items. For example, if you order 2 items, one for $200 and one for $50, order them separately so you get $50 off on the first item and 30% or $15 off on the second item. If you order them together the most you'll get discounted is $50 instead of $65.

Quick Reply: New Battery