LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Thinking of buying an LS, what do I need to look for?

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-16, 01:50 PM
CJITTY

Received 146 Likes on 109 Posts

I wouldn't pass up on a LS460L with air suspension. Lexus Platinum Warranty covers them as well as a few aftermarket 3rd party warranties like CarChex. Don't let that stop you from a sweet deal, just be sure you have a warranty in general because this car is reliable, but when stuff breaks it ain't cheap. I have warranties on all my vehicles and they get used. I've always ended up on the plus side with issues being addressed and paid for enough to where it surpassed my warranty investment.
Old 07-25-16, 01:56 PM
litesoarer
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Warranty is important.

I'm going to see just how far we get with 3 original air shocks and one that's been replaced multiple times.
Old 07-26-16, 01:50 PM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Received 505 Likes on 383 Posts

If I had purchased the warranty when I got my LS two and a half years ago, I'd be 3k dollars poorer. To each his own.
Old 07-26-16, 03:43 PM
LS430FL
Instructor

Received 91 Likes on 77 Posts

Originally Posted by comotiger
A LWB without air suspension are out there but rare. Definitely available in the 2013+ MY, don't know in 2007-12 MYs.
I had no idea my 2011 lwb without air suspension was rare. Pretty cool... I'll be taking orders for photos of my rare car $5 a piece

To the OP, I have always liked Lexus certified cars however like some other members have said on this forum, they are not without issues as well. Buying certified just gives me extra peace of mind. These are expensive cars and they can be expensive to fix so certified from a reputable Lexus dealer is the way I always go. Can even cover yourself extra and get a second Lexus dealer to check it out if nearby or independent mechanic just to be safe.
Old 07-26-16, 11:30 PM
jainla
Intermediate

Received 42 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by LS430FL
I had no idea my 2011 lwb without air suspension was rare. Pretty cool... I'll be taking orders for photos of my rare car $5 a piece

To the OP, I have always liked Lexus certified cars however like some other members have said on this forum, they are not without issues as well. Buying certified just gives me extra peace of mind. These are expensive cars and they can be expensive to fix so certified from a reputable Lexus dealer is the way I always go. Can even cover yourself extra and get a second Lexus dealer to check it out if nearby or independent mechanic just to be safe.
Here's a good list:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls-...ml#post9230586
Old 07-27-16, 02:11 AM
Lukas99GS
Instructor

Received 32 Likes on 23 Posts

I know this is the LS forum but have any of you driven the 4th gen gs350? For the price of a 08-11 LS with under 90k I could get a 2013 GS with much bigger screen/newer interface. Obviously the LS would be the smoother car but just wondering if anyone's driven both what their opinion is.
Old 07-27-16, 02:59 AM
litesoarer
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Lukas99GS
I know this is the LS forum but have any of you driven the 4th gen gs350? For the price of a 08-11 LS with under 90k I could get a 2013 GS with much bigger screen/newer interface. Obviously the LS would be the smoother car but just wondering if anyone's driven both what their opinion is.
There is no comparison. Flagship vs not flagship.
Old 07-27-16, 03:25 PM
Scrutator
Pole Position

Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by Lukas99GS
At 6'3" the GS is nearly as tight for me as my Corvette.
Old 07-27-16, 03:42 PM
Doublebase
Pole Position

Received 352 Likes on 243 Posts

Originally Posted by roadfrog
If I had purchased the warranty when I got my LS two and a half years ago, I'd be 3k dollars poorer. To each his own.
I agree with you 100%, I bought mine two and a half years ago as well and in that time I've put over 60,000 miles on my car...I've replaced $600 dollars worth of parts (wheel bearing and control arms). And honestly I could have gotten away with just replacing the upper control arms and saved myself a couple hundred bucks.

To each his own I guess.
Old 07-27-16, 04:14 PM
comotiger
Pole Position

Received 292 Likes on 251 Posts

Originally Posted by Doublebase
I agree with you 100%, I bought mine two and a half years ago as well and in that time I've put over 60,000 miles on my car...I've replaced $600 dollars worth of parts (wheel bearing and control arms). And honestly I could have gotten away with just replacing the upper control arms and saved myself a couple hundred bucks.
To each his own I guess.
The peace of mind that comes with an extended warranty (e.g., Lexus Platinum) cannot be overstated for non-DIYers like me. If there is any issue with the vehicle, I can take it to my dealer, and, other than wear/tear items, I can be assured they will take care of fixing it. I don't have to shop around for the best aftermarket parts, find an indy shop etc. And I get a loaner and concierge service to boot.

I hear you that given its reliability, I may not have any issues with my car in the first 125K miles. Then again, my car has air suspension and those pesky CAs....
Old 07-27-16, 04:38 PM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

The peace of mind that comes with an extended warranty
And there's nothing wrong with that. Peace of mind has it's value and that's where insurance also is viewed. But for me, there's far more "value" in saving a ton of cash and that manageable risk is pretty darn good especially with an LS. Consumer organizations and advocates agree. But again, that has to be at the comfort level of the owner.

On another note, don't be surprised if your air suspension is not covered when it fails. "Wearable items" are usually excluded - specifically brakes, suspension, exhaust, etc. Lots of forums speak of having been denied warranty claims on air ride.

Last edited by roadfrog; 07-27-16 at 04:45 PM.
Old 07-27-16, 05:03 PM
comotiger
Pole Position

And there's nothing wrong with that. Peace of mind has it's value and that's where insurance also is viewed. But for me, there's far more "value" in saving a ton of cash and that manageable risk is pretty darn good especially with an LS. Consumer organizations and advocates agree. But again, that has to be at the comfort level of the owner.

On another note, don't be surprised if your air suspension is not covered when it fails. "Wearable items" are usually excluded - specifically brakes, suspension, exhaust, etc. Lots of forums speak of having been denied warranty claims on air ride.
Wait a minute, I didn't know the air suspension may not be covered. I am planning to purchase the 8 year/125K Lexus Platinum warranty ($3760) pretty soon. I should get this issue sorted out. Thanks for the heads up.
Old 07-27-16, 05:19 PM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Wait a minute, I didn't know the air suspension may not be covered. I am planning to purchase the 8 year/125K Lexus Platinum warranty ($3760) pretty soon. I should get this issue sorted out. Thanks for the heads up.
On one of the forums, a member called 6 different warranty companies and none of them would cover air suspension components (except compressor and fittings/switches). Everything I see on the various car warranty sites (Nationwide, Carmax etc), exclude the shock absorbers. Let us know what you find out.

Last edited by roadfrog; 07-27-16 at 05:29 PM.
Old 07-27-16, 08:52 PM
Doublebase
Pole Position

Received 352 Likes on 243 Posts

The peace of mind that comes with an extended warranty (e.g., Lexus Platinum) cannot be overstated for non-DIYers like me. If there is any issue with the vehicle, I can take it to my dealer, and, other than wear/tear items, I can be assured they will take care of fixing it. I don't have to shop around for the best aftermarket parts, find an indy shop etc. And I get a loaner and concierge service to boot.

I hear you that given its reliability, I may not have any issues with my car in the first 125K miles. Then again, my car has air suspension and those pesky CAs....
Is that warranty until your car reaches 125,000 miles...or is that 125,000 miles on top of whatever your car already has for miles?

I hear what you're saying...you want to get your car repaired at the dealer, you're not willing to shop around and you want piece of mind. Fair enough.

What you're paying for that warranty...and by taking the car to the dealer for repairs...should equal out, if not put you on top by about $1,000 (if an air strut goes bad). Probably a good bet by you.
Old 07-27-16, 09:11 PM
comotiger
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Doublebase
Is that warranty until your car reaches 125,000 miles...or is that 125,000 miles on top of whatever your car already has for miles?

I hear what you're saying...you want to get your car repaired at the dealer, you're not willing to shop around and you want piece of mind. Fair enough.

What you're paying for that warranty...and by taking the car to the dealer for repairs...should equal out, if not put you on top by about $1,000 (if an air strut goes bad). Probably a good bet by you.
The 8 year/125K mile Lexus Platinum warranty can be purchased before the 4 year/50K new car warranty or an extended CPO warranty runs out. For my 2014 non-CPO car, it will cover me thru 2022 and 125K miles, whichever comes first. Amazingly, if my 2014 car had been CPO warrantied thru 2020, the Lexus Platinum would have provided unlimited mileage coverage through 2028. The 8 years kick in after the CPO warranty runs out, not from the date of first purchase as for a non-CPO car!!

Quick Reply: Thinking of buying an LS, what do I need to look for?