LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

"Maintenace Required"!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-16, 07:33 PM
superdenso
Instructor

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Littleguy
Those Centric rears look good, I decided to go drilled on the front and slotted only on the rear so I could get the JDM street cred of non-matching brakes. I have to admit that you are correct about how they price their service, especially if I had an 80% disappointment rate with dealers then I am sure I would feel the same as you do.
I should of went with an SL55 to get the drilled front and rear. So I jumped on the opportunity to one-up the SL5.
Old 07-24-16, 08:38 PM
Duck05
Racer

Received 360 Likes on 241 Posts

Interesting slant this thread went ..... It is true I no longer "wrench" on my cars since I do not have the tools, space, or desire to be a DIYer any more. The intent of the original post was to ask if I was missing something that this car does not make it too easy to decipher the meaning of indicators. At least the LS430 messages and alerts are straight forward and almost tell you exactly what is needed. "Maintenance Required" with no clue what is required is hardly helpful.

I have gone so far, now, to search for a decent OBD II plug in module so at least I can see what may be needed. (Amazon has several candidates.) Any thing "not simple" will make it to one of my two trusted independents or to a dealership if it is CPO warranty worthy.....

Old 07-24-16, 09:22 PM
comotiger
Pole Position

Received 292 Likes on 251 Posts

Originally Posted by Duck05
Interesting slant this thread went ..... It is true I no longer "wrench" on my cars since I do not have the tools, space, or desire to be a DIYer any more. The intent of the original post was to ask if I was missing something that this car does not make it too easy to decipher the meaning of indicators. At least the LS430 messages and alerts are straight forward and almost tell you exactly what is needed. "Maintenance Required" with no clue what is required is hardly helpful.

I have gone so far, now, to search for a decent OBD II plug in module so at least I can see what may be needed. (Amazon has several candidates.) Any thing "not simple" will make it to one of my two trusted independents or to a dealership if it is CPO warranty worthy.....
The Carista app and OBD bluetooth module are popular on CL. I ordered them last week.
Old 07-25-16, 05:55 AM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Received 505 Likes on 383 Posts

Originally Posted by comotiger
The Carista app and OBD bluetooth module are popular on CL. I ordered them last week.
I was just about to post the same thing...lol. This is a bargain. Not only you do you get a great OBD reader, but you can also program your car;s customizible features to your liking.(DRL's, seatbelt chimes, lighting etc).
Old 07-25-16, 08:15 AM
litesoarer
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Didnt they recently go to a membership model vs pay once.
Old 07-25-16, 08:33 AM
comotiger
Pole Position

Received 292 Likes on 251 Posts

Originally Posted by litesoarer
Didnt they recently go to a membership model vs pay once.
The backdoor option to buy version 3.0 (and future updates) for $20 was still available last week. Please check the Carista app thread for details and PM Carista.
Old 07-25-16, 10:25 AM
superdenso
Instructor

Those Centric rears look good, I decided to go drilled on the front and slotted only on the rear so I could get the JDM street cred of non-matching brakes. I have to admit that you are correct about how they price their service, especially if I had an 80% disappointment rate with dealers then I am sure I would feel the same as you do.
Did you install the rotors yet? If so...please post a review about them.
Old 07-25-16, 07:41 PM
teedub21
Pole Position

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by comotiger
The backdoor option to buy version 3.0 (and future updates) for $20 was still available last week. Please check the Carista app thread for details and PM Carista.
yup, just bought mine and got the dongle off amazon. Pretty neat gadget. My 2011 is mostly customizable through the nav screen but my window roll down feature using the remote wasn't activated or available through the in car set up. It was easy to activate using the Carista app and what a trip to the dealer would've cost more than paid for it.
Old 07-26-16, 07:20 AM
Littleguy
Intermediate

Received 44 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by superdenso
Did you install the rotors yet? If so...please post a review about them.
They arrive today so I probably won't install until this weekend or next week but I'll post a review for sure.
Old 08-19-16, 09:37 PM
superdenso
Instructor

C'mon Littleguy, the people are waiting for that review...you said"I'll post a review for sure"
Old 08-20-16, 05:52 AM
Littleguy
Intermediate

C'mon Littleguy, the people are waiting for that review...you said"I'll post a review for sure"
I'm being so lazy, maybe I'll write something up this weekend.
Old 08-21-16, 05:05 AM
superdenso
Instructor

I'm being so lazy, maybe I'll write something up this weekend.
Give us a Teaser: Awesome or not Awesome? You can post the details anytime; just give-up the skinny
Old 08-21-16, 08:56 AM
Littleguy
Intermediate

Give us a Teaser: Awesome or not Awesome? You can post the details anytime; just give-up the skinny
Ok, just got back from a road trip in the RX-7 yesterday so I'm exhausted but I can give a quick summation of the LS brakes. I'm pretty happy so far with my ricer combination of the drilled fronts/slotted rears. Initial bite is good, and even when slowing down quickly from say 110 to 60 I've gotten no fade feeling after or during. Any small squeaks I used to get when reversing out of my garage in the morning are gone. The only issue that I still is not optimal is I do sometimes notice a squeak the first time I hit the brakes in the morning, but it is pretty consistently the first time I hit the brakes, then it goes away. Overall the brakes are very quiet, don't create a lot of dust, and my ricer side likes having 2 different kinds of rotors. I'm never really going to push the brakes on this car but overall I would say this was a pretty good bang for my buck upgrade and I'd do it again. I'll post a couple of shots of how they look on the car later.
Old 08-22-16, 04:21 AM
superdenso
Instructor

Ok, just got back from a road trip in the RX-7 yesterday so I'm exhausted but I can give a quick summation of the LS brakes. I'm pretty happy so far with my ricer combination of the drilled fronts/slotted rears. Initial bite is good, and even when slowing down quickly from say 110 to 60 I've gotten no fade feeling after or during. Any small squeaks I used to get when reversing out of my garage in the morning are gone. The only issue that I still is not optimal is I do sometimes notice a squeak the first time I hit the brakes in the morning, but it is pretty consistently the first time I hit the brakes, then it goes away. Overall the brakes are very quiet, don't create a lot of dust, and my ricer side likes having 2 different kinds of rotors. I'm never really going to push the brakes on this car but overall I would say this was a pretty good bang for my buck upgrade and I'd do it again. I'll post a couple of shots of how they look on the car later.
Good to hear you're enjoying the new brakes. Drivers either apply the brakes or gas so both should be enjoyable!