LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

2016 LS 460 - Weird Rattle

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-16, 03:39 PM
HUSKERnKS
Lead Lap

Received 108 Likes on 66 Posts
Default 2016 LS 460 - Weird Rattle

I have a weird rattle in my front wood trim. It is in the area where the led light shines on the glove box. If I open the glove box, I can squeeze the light area and it pops. It also only seems to happen when I first get in the car for the first couple minutes.

Anyone else seen this/fixed this?

Thanks,

Steve
Old 07-21-16, 04:26 PM
Rhambler
Lexus Test Driver

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

I have the same thing. It's only when I first get in the car and AC blasts. Even without moving, I can hear it contract or expand due to the temperature swing. After the car temperature equalizes, it stops. The temperature-induced cracks happens around the center clock for me as well. Upon the AC blasting (without moving) and upon the first few body flexes while driving.

i haven't taken it in. It's so brief and disappears so quickly that I really don't consider it a nuisance, although at first it did. I purchased my car in December and during the winter time, not a peep. It's 90+ now and it started happening when it got warm. But again, after a few mins it stops and returns to tomb, dead silent over everything.
Old 07-21-16, 04:27 PM
comotiger
Pole Position

Received 292 Likes on 251 Posts

Originally Posted by HUSKERnKS
I have a weird rattle in my front wood trim. It is in the area where the led light shines on the glove box. If I open the glove box, I can squeeze the light area and it pops. It also only seems to happen when I first get in the car for the first couple minutes.

Anyone else seen this/fixed this?
Thanks,
Steve
No, I haven't experienced this issue, but it sounds very annoying. Considering this is a brand-new car, let the dealer fix it while they give you a loaner LS
Old 07-21-16, 04:37 PM
litesoarer
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by comotiger
No, I haven't experienced this issue, but it sounds very annoying. Considering this is a brand-new car, let the dealer fix it while they give you a loaner LS
Sadly they don't give out loaner LS's
Old 07-21-16, 04:47 PM
comotiger
Pole Position

Originally Posted by litesoarer
Sadly they don't give out loaner LS's
Yeah, I knew that; but considering Husker bought it new just a couple of months ago, it seems unfair that he has to drive around in an ES or RX while they fix the rattle!
Old 07-21-16, 04:48 PM
litesoarer
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Yeah, I knew that; but considering Husker bought it new just a couple of months ago, it seems unfair that he has to drive around in an ES or RX while they fix the rattle!
Officially there are no LS loaners. Unofficially if one is close with a Sales Manager one may be able to get an LS as a loaner out of the demo fleet.
Old 07-21-16, 04:54 PM
HUSKERnKS
Lead Lap

I plan to take it in, just annoying. Thought there might be a quick felt fix like most rattles.

It is just a brief thing, but still not acceptable for a brand new car with 3k miles on it.
Old 07-21-16, 04:56 PM
HUSKERnKS
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Rhambler
I have the same thing. It's only when I first get in the car and AC blasts. Even without moving, I can hear it contract or expand due to the temperature swing. After the car temperature equalizes, it stops. The temperature-induced cracks happens around the center clock for me as well. Upon the AC blasting (without moving) and upon the first few body flexes while driving.

i haven't taken it in. It's so brief and disappears so quickly that I really don't consider it a nuisance, although at first it did. I purchased my car in December and during the winter time, not a peep. It's 90+ now and it started happening when it got warm. But again, after a few mins it stops and returns to tomb, dead silent over everything.
Exactly what happens to mine. Crazy that it is just that part.
Old 07-22-16, 04:52 AM
Rhambler
Lexus Test Driver

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Husker, one thing I've noticed is that if I empty my glove box of heavy items, especially the 10+ pounds of encyclopedia Lexus, the quantity of creaks diminishes a bit. It doesn't go away completely, but it does seem to abate it a bit.

If you take it in, please let us know what and how they addressed it. I would be grateful.

After thinking about it more and remember reading about the 2016 changes in Lexus' press release, our issues may be related to the increased stiffening used throughout the vehicle. It was stated that their engineers went to great lengths to increase this for the 16 model year and what we experience could be an unintended consequence.

Last edited by Rhambler; 07-22-16 at 04:57 AM.
Old 07-22-16, 02:07 PM
HUSKERnKS
Lead Lap

Good tip! I tried it on the way home and it was much less noticeable. I will continue to keep the load light in the glovebox and see how it goes.

I will be taking it to the dealer for my 5k and have them look into this as well.

Thanks again!

Steve
Old 07-23-16, 05:22 AM
superdenso
Instructor

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts
Default most of the time it's just a car

The LS was not built to save the world . If you own an LS it's likely not your first rodeo. You've probably owned all kinds of sedans &/or sports cars. Cars with rattles or growing pains or some quirk that can't be resolved. I once took a car to 2 dealers and an Indy for an electrical issue that they never resolved, turned into 3 more issues and ultimately the electrical issue traced back to a fuse that was discovered by myself. So what do we have: even with a warranty its best to stay away from the repair shop if you can<~This is tuff to embrace. The LS was not built to save the world, but it was built to improve your travels in it.

Last edited by superdenso; 07-23-16 at 05:27 AM.
Old 07-23-16, 10:46 AM
HUSKERnKS
Lead Lap

Fair point. Funny enough removing the manual resolved the issue. Too much weight in the glove box. No shop for me. :-)
Old 07-23-16, 11:03 AM
comotiger
Pole Position

Originally Posted by HUSKERnKS
Fair point. Funny enough removing the manual resolved the issue. Too much weight in the glove box. No shop for me. :-)
Ok, so where to put the manual? BTW, is the manual available in PDF format? I hope Lexus moves to a tablet for the next MY.
Old 07-23-16, 05:54 PM
sktn77a
Lead Lap

Received 292 Likes on 257 Posts

Ok, so where to put the manual? BTW, is the manual available in PDF format? I hope Lexus moves to a tablet for the next MY.
My "Lexus Encyclopedia" fit nicely in the door pocket.

Old 07-23-16, 06:03 PM
superdenso
Instructor

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

Great idea...i'll download it and pull out ye' ole' tablet when I need to reference my way out of something

Quick Reply: 2016 LS 460 - Weird Rattle