LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Taking LS to a New Shop Questions

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-16, 07:08 AM
DJWLDW
Pole Position

Received 420 Likes on 312 Posts
Default Taking LS to a New Shop Questions

I am thinking of taking my 2010 LS 460L to a new shop that I have not taken the LS to before. I was thinking of letting them install the new rotors and pads I just ordered. These guys work on my 1990 Ford Bronco II but have never worked on the LS as I always get the service done at a Lexus dealer in either Omaha or Tulsa. This is a great shop and I really like the family that own it and they have always done a great job at very reasonable prices on the Bronco. Is there anything unique about changing out the rotors and pads on a 2010 LS 460L that I need to make sure they are aware of? I am probably just being paranoid about turning the LS over to someone new. While we do not have a Lexus dealer closer then Tulsa, OK I do live in the NW Arkansas where there are a ton of Lexus's. I was also thinking of going by the local Toyota dealer in the morning to see what they would charge me since it really is just a straight swap of parts and should not really take I would think more than 1.5 hours labor?

Thoughts please

Dennis
Old 07-19-16, 07:28 AM
dlbuckls10
Racer

Received 96 Likes on 80 Posts

The new shop will probably do a good job because brakes and rotors isn't complex. The Toyota place will do a great job also for a lot less than the Lexus dealership. I have my 460 serviced at Toyota all the time.

Last edited by dlbuckls10; 07-19-16 at 02:27 PM.
Old 07-19-16, 09:03 AM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Received 505 Likes on 383 Posts

Pretty much any DIY'er (including many here at CL), can and have done this job. It's as basic as it gets. It's not any different than most cars I've done this on and in many ways is even simpler than others. It's certainly simpler than the old drum brake systems of the 60's-80's. My only caveat to this, is with relation to the hydraulic system. IF they disconnect any brake fluid lines (there's no need to), Techstream will need to be connected to correct the inevitable error codes.
Old 07-19-16, 09:09 AM
DJWLDW
Pole Position

roadfrog

Thanks that is the kind of stuff I am looking for. I am sure the shop knows this but just want it to be hassle free. No need to unhook the battery right?

Dennis
Old 07-19-16, 09:21 AM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by DJWLDW
roadfrog

Thanks that is the kind of stuff I am looking for. I am sure the shop knows this but just want it to be hassle free. No need to unhook the battery right?

Dennis
No need to disconnect the battery.
Old 07-19-16, 02:41 PM
Doublebase
Pole Position

Received 352 Likes on 243 Posts

Originally Posted by roadfrog
No need to disconnect the battery.
I want to say I read that you should disconnect the battery when doing your brakes on the LS...that if someone opens the door during the brake job the brake actuator will apply pressure to the calipers and blow out the Pistons...that the car has a feature that prevents any rolling when the door is open. I don't know if that's true, but I did disconnect my battery when doing my brakes because I didn't want to take a chance. The funny thing is you'd be surprised that you do end up opening your doors during repairs (at least I always seem to).
Old 07-19-16, 04:01 PM
DJWLDW
Pole Position

Doublebase

Good info thanks

Dennis
Old 07-19-16, 04:31 PM
superdenso
Instructor

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts
Default Addended: Sounds like an LS concern too

Mercedes S and SL cars(and early E's) have an SBC braking system that must be shut down when servicing the brakes to avoid injury.

The SBC brakes actuate when the alarm is deactivated and pads are moved closer to the rotors to remove water in the rain. The system makes brake service near impossible for the DIYer because even if you don't bleed the system the dealer/select mechanics with Star Diagnostics must reset the SBC.

***A search for brake info suggests the battery should be disconnected after 6min of shutting off the vehicle before a brake job:
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls-...ml#post9561115

Last edited by superdenso; 07-22-16 at 11:04 AM.
Old 07-19-16, 04:52 PM
DJWLDW
Pole Position

I do not think I have but if I had got up against the ware sensors would I get a light on the dash or some other indication?

Dennis
Old 07-19-16, 05:24 PM
Doublebase
Pole Position

Originally Posted by DJWLDW
I do not think I have but if I had got up against the ware sensors would I get a light on the dash or some other indication?

Dennis
The light would come on if the sensor was touching the rotors, so if your light hasn't come on, your sensor should be fine. No need to replace it, just reuse it.
Old 07-19-16, 06:24 PM
DJWLDW
Pole Position

Doublebase

Thanks, that is what I needed to know

Dennis
Old 07-19-16, 07:12 PM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Doublebase
I want to say I read that you should disconnect the battery when doing your brakes on the LS...that if someone opens the door during the brake job the brake actuator will apply pressure to the calipers and blow out the Pistons...that the car has a feature that prevents any rolling when the door is open. I don't know if that's true, but I did disconnect my battery when doing my brakes because I didn't want to take a chance. The funny thing is you'd be surprised that you do end up opening your doors during repairs (at least I always seem to).
Well in that case, I've been driving with blown out caliper pistons for the last two years.
Old 07-20-16, 07:15 AM
enoch861
Pole Position

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Brake job on the LS is about as easy as it gets.
The hardest brake job I ever did was the rears on Audi and VW vehicles with the infamous 14mm 12 point socket bit . Carista did make it easy to release the EPB though.
Dealers typically won't let you bring your own parts for install but your new shop should be able to get them installed for less than 200 bucks for both front and rear.
Old 07-20-16, 12:52 PM
Doublebase
Pole Position

Originally Posted by roadfrog
Well in that case, I've been driving with blown out caliper pistons for the last two years.
Probably legal in Canada
Old 07-20-16, 01:02 PM
DJWLDW
Pole Position

I stopped at the Local Toyota dealer and they wanted $280 (140 per axle). The shop that works on my Bronco II wants $200 (100 per axle). I am scheduled to have the brakes done next Thursday morning at Tim's automotive. Spot on enoch861.

Dennis

Quick Reply: Taking LS to a New Shop Questions