LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

HELP: second blow out in 2 weeks.

Old 07-24-16, 04:07 PM
Dr. Jekyll
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by AznRacer
I had this happen to me a few times in my old ls430 with 20" I finally found out the problem it was due to low air in the tires. Does your wheels have tpms and did it show low air on the dash?
This guy tore through his in 2 days. How long did it take yours to fail?
Old 07-24-16, 06:52 PM
Rhambler
Lexus Test Driver

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

It looks like you have negative camber and massive inside wear. Or was that a result of the failure?

I would be leary of running that low load rating. The sidewall strength is dictated by that number. You have to remember, even though simple math may seem like it would work, during cornering, the weight on any one wheel could go up dramatically.

Simple Physics.

Standing still and it may be equal between the same axles--although the front of our car has more weight--moving and cornering and that tire is carrying a ton of weight and it's all on the sidewall. 25-75% more depending on the angle, load shift, etc. And if you have negative camber, the amount of force on the inner wheel sidewall is enormous.

Also, the inside of our wheel wells, the front at least, is where most of the engine heat gets kicked out. If you had low air pressure, that would mean your tires are running hotter than normal. Add the massive heat sink next to the inner front wheels and it could degrade the strength of those tires.

Bad alignment, inappropriate load rating, under inflation + cheap tires can all lead to its catastrophic downfall.

Old 07-24-16, 07:07 PM
comotiger
Pole Position

Received 292 Likes on 251 Posts

Originally Posted by Rhambler
It looks like you have negative camber and massive inside wear. Or was that a result of the failure?

I would be leary of running that low load rating. The sidewall strength is dictated by that number. You have to remember, even though simple math may seem like it would work, during cornering, the weight on any one wheel could go up dramatically.

Simple Physics.

Standing still and it may be equal between the same axles--although the front of our car has more weight--moving and cornering and that tire is carrying a ton of weight and it's all on the sidewall. 25-75% more depending on the angle, load shift, etc. And if you have negative camber, the amount of force on the inner wheel sidewall is enormous.

Also, the inside of our wheel wells, the front at least, is where most of the engine heat gets kicked out. If you had low air pressure, that would mean your tires are running hotter than normal. Add the massive heat sink next to the inner front wheels and it could degrade the strength of those tires.

Bad alignment, inappropriate load rating, under inflation + cheap tires can all lead to its catastrophic downfall.
Excellent points, Rhambler. What's puzzling though is the OP had no issues running on identical tires for quite a while before he had a flat, then blew two new tires in quick succession on the same wheel.
Old 07-24-16, 07:14 PM
Rhambler
Lexus Test Driver

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

His alignment could have gotten worse between then and now. He may have been riding on the razor's edge with the first set but if his camber is as off as it seems to be, it makes perfect sense why those inner sidewalls blew out.

Way under rated tires + a magnification of that weight on the inner wheel sidewall due to negative camber (plus other misc elements) = catastrophe. If his camber was better, it would still be dangerous in my opinion and just by sheer luck he didn't blow things out. That negative camber just amplifies that weight on the inner sidewall and being how it's way underrated to begin with, goodbye tire.
Old 07-24-16, 07:28 PM
comotiger
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Rhambler
His alignment could have gotten worse between then and now. He may have been riding on the razor's edge with the first set but if his camber is as off as it seems to be, it makes perfect sense why those inner sidewalls blew out.

Way under rated tires + a magnification of that weight on the inner wheel sidewall due to negative camber (plus other misc elements) = catastrophe. If his camber was better, it would still be dangerous in my opinion and just by sheer luck he didn't blow things out. That negative camber just amplifies that weight on the inner sidewall and being how it's way underrated to begin with, goodbye tire.
Yeah, maybe he should have had the alignment done when he got new tires. I would have thought a 4 wheel alignment would be standard procedure when installing new tires.
Old 07-29-16, 11:01 PM
Dr. Jekyll
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 25 Posts

So how did this story end? I'm curious what was going on to cause that blow out in 2 days?
Old 07-30-16, 05:36 AM
superdenso
Instructor

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by comotiger
Yeah, maybe he should have had the alignment done when he got new tires. I would have thought a 4 wheel alignment would be standard procedure when installing new tires.
I put 195,000 miles on a vehicle without an alignment. When I attempted to get it aligned around 60k, the service advisor giggled and said we only align if there is a concern. So, absent major suspension work or old tire wear issues focus concern elsewhere
Old 07-30-16, 06:38 AM
comotiger
Pole Position

My dealer checks alignment every time the car comes in (complimentary). IMO it's best to catch minor alignment issues early before things get out of whack long enough to cause uneven tire wear or suspension issues. Of course unscrupulous shops may use this as an excuse to perform unnecessary work.