LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

HELP: second blow out in 2 weeks.

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-16, 01:39 PM
Dr. Jekyll
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by comotiger
The odd thing is the OP was running on these same brand tires for quite a while. Why would the tire be cut or rubbed to destruction within two days if that didn't happen with the original tire on that same wheel?
Why would any accident happen? I just repaired my neighbors Ford SUV that was running fine for months until he ran something over on the freeway and tore the brackets off the front fascia cutting his air ducts.

The fact that he thinks it's an issue with the tire is ridiculous in my opinion. I've seen NASCAR tires that ran 180 mph for 50 miles that were in better condition.
Old 07-21-16, 02:16 PM
comotiger
Pole Position

Received 292 Likes on 251 Posts

Originally Posted by Dr. Jekyll
Why would any accident happen? I just repaired my neighbors Ford SUV that was running fine for months until he ran something over on the freeway and tore the brackets off the front fascia cutting his air ducts.

The fact that he thinks it's an issue with the tire is ridiculous in my opinion. I've seen NASCAR tires that ran 180 mph for 50 miles that were in better condition.
The question is do both blown tires show exactly the same damage? If they do, then there is a common factor in both events, which could be the age/batch of the new tires. But then why only the tire in this position? I agree it probably has to do with something cutting into the tire that was not happening with the original tire because it was mounted differently.
Old 07-21-16, 02:21 PM
Dr. Jekyll
Lexus Champion

The question is do both blown tires show exactly the same damage? If they do, then there is a common factor in both events, which could be the age/batch of the new tires. But then why only the tire in this position? I agree it probably has to do with something cutting into the tire that was not happening with the original tire because it was mounted differently.
Correct. Like why just that tire, should all the other tires have blown by now? It's getting cut plain and simple.
Old 07-21-16, 02:29 PM
mha002
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

both incidents happened to the front left..both interior wall ripped the same way. i will double check to see if there's anything cutting it but i currently have stock 19s on there(1st day), and nothing has happened so far...
Old 07-21-16, 02:41 PM
Littleguy
Intermediate

Received 44 Likes on 32 Posts

Does this really look like a cut to you guys? I'm thinking that would be a really low probability as it really looks like a dry rotted blowout to me. OP, did you ever get the date off of the tires? That would give us a clue.
Old 07-21-16, 02:55 PM
mha002
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Littleguy
Does this really look like a cut to you guys? I'm thinking that would be a really low probability as it really looks like a dry rotted blowout to me. OP, did you ever get the date off of the tires? That would give us a clue.
ill check the date on the tires when i get home from work.
Old 07-22-16, 07:50 AM
mha002
Driver School Candidate

so the tires were manufactured in 2015...235/35 ZR21 89W
Old 07-22-16, 10:04 AM
Dr. Jekyll
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by mha002
so the tires were manufactured in 2015...235/35 ZR21 89W
so every tire that's failed came from the same batch?
Old 07-22-16, 10:06 AM
Dr. Jekyll
Lexus Champion

And are the other 3 tires on your car from the same batch too??
Old 07-22-16, 10:38 AM
mha002
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Dr. Jekyll
And are the other 3 tires on your car from the same batch too??
i purchased them at the same time, yes..they all show made in 2015..
Old 07-22-16, 10:45 AM
GR6RR
Intermediate

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Sounds like you're close to the sgv area, if all your big brand stores don't want to touch your car because of liability issues, go see Donald at Tire Central in San Gabriel. They do quality work and have great prices. That's where I go, it's way better than the homeboy tire shops that use impact to tighten your lugs back on. These guys actually torque down your wheel to spec, then have another tech come to double check the first person's work.
I use them all the time when I need to stretch tires. My daily I take to any shop.
Old 07-22-16, 10:47 AM
mha002
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by GR6RR
Sounds like you're close to the sgv area, if all your big brand stores don't want to touch your car because of liability issues, go see Donald at Tire Central in San Gabriel. They do quality work and have great prices. That's where I go, it's way better than the homeboy tire shops that use impact to tighten your lugs back on. These guys actually torque down your wheel to spec, then have another tech come to double check the first person's work.
I use them all the time when I need to stretch tires. My daily I take to any shop.
thanks for the headsup.
Old 07-22-16, 12:43 PM
GR6RR
Intermediate

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Their driveway is lowered car friendly, too. They actually laid out of asphault to cover up the difference in grade.
Old 07-22-16, 11:27 PM
teedub21
Pole Position

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

89 load index is very light. My 2011 Sport package car requires 98 load index rating. I'm running 95 front and 97 rear because it's all I could find in 22's and it's close but 89 is way off.
Old 07-23-16, 10:38 PM
AznRacer
Lexus Test Driver

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

I had this happen to me a few times in my old ls430 with 20" I finally found out the problem it was due to low air in the tires. Does your wheels have tpms and did it show low air on the dash?

Quick Reply: HELP: second blow out in 2 weeks.