LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

difficulty with hesitation

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-16, 11:58 AM
hmooblis
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default difficulty with hesitation

So I recently purchased a 2008 ls460 and the car drove fine for a while. After noticing throttle hesitation and doing research, I decided to take my car in to do the Tsb 0033-08 service ecm calibration. Sad to say it didn't help at all. I've always drove in D mode but said the hell with it and drove it in sport shift mode. Big difference in gears 3-4, the powers instance. So what gives for the car being so sluggish in regular drive (D) mode?

Was the Tsb 0033-08 supposed to calibrate the tcm also? Should I take it back to the dealership and pray they'll work with the tcm free of charge? Previous owner has replaced the head recall and the car does drive fine with no funny noises.
Old 07-15-16, 12:02 PM
hmooblis
Driver School Candidate

Would like to add that previous of the service, when hitting the throttle the car had to go to 2 gears and still felt sluggish. After the tsb servive it only goes through 1 gear but revs high to about 5k with the same sluggishness
Old 07-15-16, 12:48 PM
Doublebase
Pole Position

Received 352 Likes on 243 Posts

Well hopefully this isn't your problem...

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...ssion-lag.html

It's pretty rare but some people have experience hesitation because of their heads, the valve guides are worn and the knock sensors kick in, causing the hesitation. Like I said it's rare, but a guy in the thread I linked went through all sorts of scenarios before they figured out what it was. The GS 460 shares the same drivetrain by the way.
Old 07-15-16, 01:22 PM
GR6RR
Intermediate

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Cheapest thing I would try first, is changing out the motor oil and putting in what's recommended. From what I've read, you just bought the car. So not knowing what's in there could be the case. Won't cost you much to change the oil and filter. Some people have had very good results with Toyota Genuine Motor Oil. Just a thought...
Old 07-15-16, 05:23 PM
hmooblis
Driver School Candidate

Thanks. Sadly I've already bought 10 quarts of moble 1 sync blend extended performance 0w20 oil. Didn't use it yet, but don't know if I want to put it on hold and use extra $$ to buy the tgmo?
Old 07-15-16, 07:24 PM
greg3852
Lexus Test Driver

Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts

What brand and octane gas are you using? I have had hesitation with bad gas.
Old 07-15-16, 08:41 PM
superdenso
Instructor

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts
Default Walmart/Walmart/walmart

My best results in this car is with mobil1 0w30 and royal purple gas treatment. It takes 25 miles for the slug-play to fade away. This stuff should cost you @65bux

2 x Mobil1 0w30 (5qt jugs)
1 x Royal Purple max-fuel system cleaner

Last edited by superdenso; 07-18-16 at 02:35 AM.
Old 07-15-16, 11:10 PM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Received 505 Likes on 383 Posts

I had this BAD hesitation several times right after an oil change. My problems went away as soon as I changed to TGMO 0W20 and a bottle of Toyota Engine oil system cleaner. It's been almost two years since then and no more hesitation. If your car's previous owner used dino oil and then synthetic was put in, the superior cleaning properties of the syn may have broke loose some sludge and sediment that clogged the VVT-I system causing the hesitation. That's one theory anyway. All I know is that changing to TGMO completely cured my issue. It has also worked for a few others too.
The following users liked this post:
DrQuality (08-05-21)
Old 07-16-16, 04:59 PM
hmooblis
Driver School Candidate

I've always used chevron 91 premium, every now and then I throw in stp octane booster also. Tried shell 91, but have have bad experience in the past with different cars.

Dont know why cause top shelf oils like mobile 1 syn should work the same way but I will go ahead and buy the tgmo and oil system cleaner. Recommend me a place to buy them? Or would the local toyota dealership have the same price point? Hope that helps
Old 08-12-21, 05:15 AM
Doublebase
Pole Position

Received 352 Likes on 243 Posts

Originally Posted by DrQuality
RESOLUTION OF MY OWN HESITATION ISSUE

My experience with the hesitation issue was pretty straight-forward. My recently-acquired 2007 LS460 (with 119k miles) delivered about 2 seconds of idling-delay in response to my flooring the gas pedal to demand full/urgent acceleration. That's really the only hesitation symptom I noticed. The 'Safety Recall ALE' VSR work had been done at 35k miles, quite some time ago.

When scheduling a brake fluid change/bleed at my local Lexus dealership, I also described my hesitation symptoms and presented the 2008 Lexus Service Bulletin L-SB-033-08 to the service writer. A couple of days later, the service writer reached out to me with the superseding Lexus Service Bulletin L-SB-0122-17. The Repair Procedure in that 2017 Bulletin requires an ECM/PCM flash, followed by (an unconditional) replacement of the cylinder heads.

I explained the age and value of the vehicle was such that I would not authorize the cost or risk of any cylinder head replacements. I also reinforced the 2008 Bulletin required such only if the ECM/PCM flash did not resolve the problem. I also mentioned that many members of ClubLexus reported that the ECM/PCM flash by itself had resolved their problem … and as a prior owner of a 2006 Toyota Avalon, I had experienced almost the exact same issue and that a similar Service Bulletin issued around the same time as L-SB-033-08 resolved that problem with only an ECM/PCM flash. So, in essence, I was encouraging the service writer to find if it was possible to proceed with the ECM/PCM flash only.

I was quoted a diagnostic fee of about $175 for the shop to determine how they could/would proceed. On that basis I scheduled-in, and eventually dropped, the vehicle for the hesitation issue (and the brake fluid change/bleed). At the end of the first day, I was told the vehicle would be held for a second business day while the service shop management continued to determine how it could/would proceed; I'll guess they were reaching-out to Lexus USA for advice (as to whether they could safely apply the ECM/PCM flash without any risk of really having to do the cylinder heads) and were awaiting a response. The service writer called early on the beginning of the third business day to inform me that the ECM/PCM flash (only) had been applied, that the hesitation symptom/problem was resolved and that I could pick up the vehicle.

When I picked-up the vehicle and closed-up the work, the service writer deleted the entire diagnostic fee and instead charged only for the ECM/PCM flash itself, written-up at 0.4 labor hours and a charge of $74. Perhaps placebo, but it feels as if the vehicle drives a good bit more smoothly overall … and it looks like I might have picked up at least a 1MPG (solid-city stop-and-go) improvement as well.

And the brake fluid bleed/change (@ $190) got rid of the "clunk-clunk" emanating from the (infamous) brake actuator whenever I worked the brake pedal. For the moment, I'll guess that the prior owners were seriously skimping on intervals and/or having them done lower-cost at non-TechStream Goober's Garage. So, for now at least, I am good-to-go regarding the brake actuator as well.

All-in-all, a productive & worthwhile dealership visit. Happy motoring!
That’s great! Glad it worked out for you and hopefully this is a permanent cure for hesitation issues. I too experienced occasional hesitation issues when I had mine, and it wasn’t after oil changes...it was intermittent and random. Usually fuel, I think, was part of the problem, BUT at that time there were many “possibilities” floated around here on what it could be...and honestly it could have been any of them. Here’s what I remember about them...

PCM ECM flash
Connector harness inside the transmission going to the valve body
Heads/valve guide wear
Oil viscosity
Fuel
Rings/compression
Oil consumption
Knock sensors
A design fault in the 8-speed learn process.
The direct injectors

Honestly, it could have been all of this^^^. I just drove it and didn’t care, but my car was a 10 year old vehicle, not a new $80,000 car, because THEN I’d really care. And something similar did happen when I did buy a new car/truck!!! It did the same type of thing! Hesitation upon acceleration on the highway with my brand new 2018 Silverado. Thing would act the exact same way. I was told fuel. Then transmission learn tendencies and it’ll get better. My solution was to trade it in and never consider another GM product again. But I do think these issues are a lot more common now with direct injection engines. And I don’t think it helps when transmissions now have 8 plus speeds and multiple overdrive opportunities.
The following users liked this post:
DrQuality (08-12-21)