LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

In 1 Sentence: What (if anything) do you miss about your LS 430?

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-16, 04:16 AM
Doublebase
Pole Position

Received 352 Likes on 243 Posts

Originally Posted by AJT123
The 460 is faster once you wind it out toward redline and can feel the extra 90 hp, but the 4.6 is a somewhat peaky motor (by comparison) and doesn't feel as torquey as the 430 just puttering around town at 2k RPM. That's not to say it lacks torque or anything, but the 460 isn't as waftable. I also felt the 8spd auto was overkill and hunted too much. I've driven both cars thoroughly and much prefer the 4.3 for the way it sounds (the 4.6 doesn't sound like ripping silk like the UZ motors do), the fact that it's noticeably smoother and quieter, and the more accessible low-end torque.

Still, though, the 460 is, well, an LS. So it's still a great, serene driving experience. But when I drove a 460 I did notice these things about the drivetrain. I think they took a step backwards in refinement with the UR.

And please, guys, don't read into this the wrong way. No offense. I just felt like chiming in bc I was considering trading in my 430 for this stunning '11 LS460 but there was nothing that it did better (some things it didn't do as well) than the 430. I was beyond smitten with the looks (silver with the chrome '19s), but the rest of the car didn't feel like any sort of upgrade, other than newer telematics, Nav, etc., which is stuff I don't care about anyway.
After driving many many different cars I disagree with your assessment of the 8 speed transmission. i honestly think it's one of the best transmissions I've seen--it always seems to be in the right gear or the right spot, it's trouble free, it enables you to get outstanding fuel economy, there's no noise associated with it...when you need the power it knows exactly what to do, and when you need to keep the rpm's down it does that too. This transmission is now being used in the new Cadillac (and it'll probably be the best part of that entire car). You should try driving an Audi...those transmissions have no clue what they're doing, before they explode 100,000 miles before they're supposed to.

As for the engine...it idles at 500 rpm, it can rev very quickly (in fact it's probably more snappy than 4's and 6's), yet it is still smooth...not as smooth as a 430, but unlike the 430 it has another side to it that the 430 doesn't have...a energetic side that wants to go. I think it's a versatile achievement.

I do like the LS430's smoothness. I've always found that fascinating from an engine. Toyotas V8s earlier in the century were all very smooth. Ever drive a Tundra or Sequia from say 2002-2007? Smoother than any truck you'll ever drive. Like butter.
Old 07-15-16, 11:58 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,500 Likes on 1,803 Posts

Personally, I agree about the transmission. I prefer the 6 speed in the 430, and even the 5 speed in the 400 to the 8 speed in the 460. I've never driven a car with one of these super multi-gear automatics that I liked the shift logic on. Every once and a while it'll get hung in some higher gear and the engine will hang at a high RPM and abruptly snap into the appropriate gear feeling like its a manual being driven by someone who doesn't drive one very well. When you go to try and make it kick down, its got to go 2-3 gears down to get the ratio your throttle input demands, which is why it feels peakier and more sluggish to throttle inputs.

Even modern 5 and 6 speeds though, the ratios are so tall for fuel economy that their shift logic is strange too.

I find that I'm happier with the transmission in eco mode. Its peppier in normal or sport, and in the 430 and 400 I always ran in ECT PWR, but it shifts less in eco and overall I like that better.

So all in all I too would say I prefer the UZ powertrain, but that wouldn't make me go back and buy a 430. The 430s are ancient now IMHO, the styling is dated, technology is archaic. Technology is important to me, I use the nav every day, use the BT audio every day. I use the destination assist through enform nearly every day. I really like the iPhone app for vehicle status, lock/unlock, remote start, etc.

Remember too that when you aren't comparing them directly every day, subtle differences here and there don't jump out at you as much.

Last edited by SW17LS; 07-15-16 at 12:04 PM.
Old 07-15-16, 12:22 PM
dlbuckls10
Racer

Received 96 Likes on 80 Posts

The 430 seats were soft like butter and more comfortable.
Old 07-15-16, 12:24 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by dlbuckls10
The 430 seats were soft like butter and more comfortable.
This I found true compared to the 07-09 460s, but less so 10-12, and even less so 13+
Old 07-15-16, 01:37 PM
Kennyr44
Lead Lap

Received 59 Likes on 49 Posts

[QUOTE=SW15LS;9553838]Personally, I agree about the transmission. I prefer the 6 speed in the 430, and even the 5 speed in the 400 to the 8 speed in the 460. I've never driven a car with one of these super multi-gear automatics that I liked the shift logic on. Every once and a while it'll get hung in some higher gear and the engine will hang at a high RPM and abruptly snap into the appropriate gear feeling like its a manual being driven by someone who doesn't drive one very well. When you go to try and make it kick down, its got to go 2-3 gears down to get the ratio your throttle input demands, which is why it feels peakier and more sluggish to throttle inputs.

I like the 7 speed in my Mercedes. It feels perfect. I think 6 or 7 is the correct number. I skipped the 430 so I'm no help,
Old 07-15-16, 10:19 PM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Received 184 Likes on 163 Posts

Heck, I think five speeds are just fine for an automatic. Six tops. I could live with one less gear in my 430, but wouldn't want one more.
Old 07-16-16, 05:15 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by AJT123
Heck, I think five speeds are just fine for an automatic. Six tops. I could live with one less gear in my 430, but wouldn't want one more.
Fuel economy. Carmakers don't have any choice.
Old 07-16-16, 09:19 AM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Received 505 Likes on 383 Posts

When I had my '08 repaired after a collision with a deer, the body shop I used was part of a GM/Cadillac dealership that has an excellent reputation. When I picked up my car, the shop manager couldn't stop praising how quiet and smooth my car was and specifically made mention of the transmission. He couldn't believe how smooth the transmission shifted and seamlessly it did so. He compared it to the dealerships Caddys and made a comment, something to the effect of being the smoothest and quietest car he had ever driven. and was shocked at the age of my car and the mileage it had.
Old 07-16-16, 10:27 AM
Dr. Jekyll
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by Scrutator
Okay, I'll bite:

Miss the seat-position adjustment for the Martin Logan audio. In my LS 430 I was able to select the driver's seat for the optimum soundstage. I am usually alone when driving.
I still have this function. Do you have an ML system now?
Old 07-16-16, 11:46 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

The transmission shifts smoothly, it's just the logic of what gear it's in and when.

I've driven way worse.
Old 07-16-16, 02:16 PM
Scrutator
Pole Position

Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by Dr. Jekyll
I still have this function. Do you have an ML system now?
Yes, I have ML. In my 2006 LS430 one could select the seat position from the display and it would "optimize" the sound for either the driver, driver and front passenger, rear passengers or all four. In the 2013 LS460 one must use the left-right balance and front-rear balance controls to attempt to do something similar.

I believe that the 430's system did more than just change balance. There was a noticeable "shift" in the soundstage, which may have been achieved with additional audio processing. I suspect that the processor changed the timing of one or more of the speakers when optimized for the driver.
Old 07-16-16, 02:25 PM
Dr. Jekyll
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by Scrutator
Yes, I have ML. In my 2006 LS430 one could select the seat position from the display and it would "optimize" the sound for either the driver, driver and front passenger, rear passengers or all four. In the 2013 LS460 one must use the left-right balance and front-rear balance controls to attempt to do something similar.

I believe that the 430's system did more than just change balance. There was a noticeable "shift" in the soundstage, which may have been achieved with additional audio processing. I suspect that the processor changed the timing of one or more of the speakers when optimized for the driver.
Oh I see. I just assumed it would be the same since both systems used processors. And I agree. I paid for the car, who cares about anyone else's experience? LOL okay just kidding. But am I?
Old 07-17-16, 12:32 AM
jainla
Intermediate

Received 42 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by roadfrog
When I had my '08 repaired after a collision with a deer, the body shop I used was part of a GM/Cadillac dealership that has an excellent reputation. When I picked up my car, the shop manager couldn't stop praising how quiet and smooth my car was and specifically made mention of the transmission. He couldn't believe how smooth the transmission shifted and seamlessly it did so. He compared it to the dealerships Caddys and made a comment, something to the effect of being the smoothest and quietest car he had ever driven. and was shocked at the age of my car and the mileage it had.
There have been a lot of software updates for the 8sp automatic; so if yours isn't behaving you might want to have the dealer check and see what version of the software you are running. Lexus uses it in almost every sedan they offer so it's pretty well sorted by this time.

Interesting that Cadillac is using it; also it will be showing up in the Corvette apparently; at least for next year.

With the new 10sp automatic these seem to be moving in the direction of a CVT... so many ratios. It might make sense for transmissions to 'pick' a shift sequence based on load, driving style, etc so they can only shift through half the gears; but pick the right 5 gears for each situation. if someone makes a 12sp (and you know they will) it would be an interesting idea; 4 shifts for comfort, 6 for sport, etc.
Old 07-17-16, 02:26 PM
Doublebase
Pole Position

Received 352 Likes on 243 Posts

Originally Posted by jainla
There have been a lot of software updates for the 8sp automatic; so if yours isn't behaving you might want to have the dealer check and see what version of the software you are running. Lexus uses it in almost every sedan they offer so it's pretty well sorted by this time.

Interesting that Cadillac is using it; also it will be showing up in the Corvette apparently; at least for next year.

With the new 10sp automatic these seem to be moving in the direction of a CVT... so many ratios. It might make sense for transmissions to 'pick' a shift sequence based on load, driving style, etc so they can only shift through half the gears; but pick the right 5 gears for each situation. if someone makes a 12sp (and you know they will) it would be an interesting idea; 4 shifts for comfort, 6 for sport, etc.
I believe Acura is now using a 9 speed in some of there cars now. I think the 460's 8 speed is pretty damn good. I've never had any confusion problems, in terms of which gear it chooses based on conditions, etc. it always seems to be right where I need it too bad, and the fuel economy it delivers is unbelievable. Chrysler is using an 8 speed unti right now, but I highly doubt it's as reliable as this unit.
Old 07-17-16, 06:02 PM
Duck05
Racer

Received 360 Likes on 241 Posts

Having both available it is easy to see why both cars are well regarded.

Which one is better? Seems subjective but they do drive differently. The 430 was the wife's DD before the 460 and she likes the 460 better. The 430 is now my DD and I prefer the 430 mostly for it's smoother handling and acceleration curve (albeit the 460 is of course faster).

As for interior and the like, the 430 is nice but the 460 being 13 years newer wins that battle.

The NAV and entertainment system is subjective as well. I prefer the easy to use and simpler 430 but no argument the 460 has more capabilities.

Nice to have both but I can see why a 430 owner may miss some things being in a 460. Brand new never-had-a-430 460 owners will not miss a thing.... LOL....

(Sorry.... way more than 1 sentence.....)

Last edited by Duck05; 07-18-16 at 07:45 PM.

Quick Reply: In 1 Sentence: What (if anything) do you miss about your LS 430?