LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

One Recommendation for CarMax

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-16, 03:17 PM
sayow
Pit Crew

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts
Default One Recommendation for CarMax

So a few days ago I went in for my inspection of a 2010 LS460 I am purchasing from CarMax. I was not all that optimistic about going there to begin with but low mile 2010 Sports in my desired color and options limits my options.

The price was good but not great (31k out the door with extended MaxCare 4/60 warranty, 65k, Starfire Pearl, Sport Pkg, Mark Levinson, Park assist) so I had warned the sales rep that I would be pretty particular when inspecting.

True to my word I spent the better part of 2 hours going over the car with a fine tooth comb. Given that the car will have the 4/60 bumper to bumper warranty, I spent the bulk of my time going over lots of little stuff like the wheels, tires, paint, interior, any warping on the bumpers, the pillars, brakes and rotors and general ride.

I came back to the rep with a list of items. Specifically that the brakes are pretty worn, the ride while pretty great has a slight vibration on braking and two wheels had curb rash on them. To my surprise the rep did not hesitate to get the service manager to turn all rotors and then take the car over to the local Lexus dealer and have them put brand new OEM brembo's all the way around AND replace the two front 19" Sport wheels with factory replacements (confirmed as also factory OEM).

All in all I am pretty impressed with my experience and i generally have a pretty low opinion and high level of skepticism for car salesmen/dealers.

Maybe I am getting lucky and this is not the norm, but CarMax gets a solid recommendation from me enough that I felt like writing this little review.

Last edited by sayow; 07-08-16 at 03:23 PM.
Old 07-08-16, 03:53 PM
Kennyr44
Lead Lap

Received 59 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by sayow
So a few days ago I went in for my inspection of a 2010 LS460 I am purchasing from CarMax. I was not all that optimistic about going there to begin with but low mile 2010 Sports in my desired color and options limits my options.

The price was good but not great (31k out the door with extended MaxCare 4/60 warranty, 65k, Starfire Pearl, Sport Pkg, Mark Levinson, Park assist) so I had warned the sales rep that I would be pretty particular when inspecting.

True to my word I spent the better part of 2 hours going over the car with a fine tooth comb. Given that the car will have the 4/60 bumper to bumper warranty, I spent the bulk of my time going over lots of little stuff like the wheels, tires, paint, interior, any warping on the bumpers, the pillars, brakes and rotors and general ride.

I came back to the rep with a list of items. Specifically that the brakes are pretty worn, the ride while pretty great has a slight vibration on braking and two wheels had curb rash on them. To my surprise the rep did not hesitate to get the service manager to turn all rotors and then take the car over to the local Lexus dealer and have them put brand new OEM brembo's all the way around AND replace the two front 19" Sport wheels with factory replacements (confirmed as also factory OEM).

All in all I am pretty impressed with my experience and i generally have a pretty low opinion and high level of skepticism for car salesmen/dealers.

Maybe I am getting lucky and this is not the norm, but CarMax gets a solid recommendation from me enough that I felt like writing this little review.
This just shows the big markup they have in these and all cars. I'm impressed that they made it work for your satisfaction.
Old 07-08-16, 04:31 PM
Doublebase
Pole Position

Received 352 Likes on 243 Posts

That's great that you did well with carmax, personally I've been appalled by their prices in my area. I guess it depends on where you are and when you're buying.

Their Facebook page I'd say is about 60% negative comments from customers, compared to 40% positive. But used cars is risky business for everyone involved...the buyer...the seller. No one really knows what your going to get, which can be pretty devastating for a large used car company. Then again I don't think they mind.
Old 07-11-16, 07:36 AM
jasone36
Instructor

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

When shopping, I also found CarMax to be priced significantly higher than the market rate.

That's why they can put money into a car and still make out well financially.
Old 07-11-16, 07:46 AM
seanl
Intermediate

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by jasone36
When shopping, I also found CarMax to be priced significantly higher than the market rate.

That's why they can put money into a car and still make out well financially.
But there's no free lunch....if Sayow had missed a bunch of those items he's be on the hook for it....and Carmax turns a nice profit on the car. But seeing how Carmax addressed all the items he uncovered *and* sold the car shows that they did indeed have plenty of margin in this particular car.

That's a pretty fair price for what you're getting especially given that you get a their great warranty.

Sayow, please post up some pics, that color combo sounds pretty awesome.
Old 07-11-16, 06:46 PM
sayow
Pit Crew

Here are the pics right on the lot

Old 07-11-16, 07:55 PM
Doublebase
Pole Position

Received 352 Likes on 243 Posts

^^^ Beautiful looking LS!

I'm a Junior Seau fan...loved the way he played. He played for my Patriots for a short time, Belichick loved him...kept him around for a season just because they were having some problems in the locker room and needed his presence in there. Totally shocked he was suffering like he was.
Old 07-11-16, 08:01 PM
comotiger
Pole Position

Received 292 Likes on 251 Posts

Originally Posted by sayow
Here are the pics right on the lot
Very nice, sayow. Congrats and enjoy the ride

I see that the front and rear overhangs on your vehicle appear to have cladding attached to the bodywork. I never noticed that before. I did some checking and other 2010s don't have it. Here's an example.

Is this an F-sport or some other mod? Is there anything in the car's service history about this?
Old 07-11-16, 08:51 PM
seanl
Intermediate

Originally Posted by comotiger
Very nice, sayow. Congrats and enjoy the ride
I see that the front and rear overhangs on your vehicle appear to have cladding attached to the bodywork....
Is this an F-sport or some other mod? Is there anything in the car's service history about this?
No, there wasn't an F-Sport in 2010-2012. This particular car (and mine) are plain old LS460 with the Sport option the includes different interior and that spiffy body trim you're referring to.
Old 07-11-16, 09:35 PM
comotiger
Pole Position

Received 292 Likes on 251 Posts

Originally Posted by seanl
No, there wasn't an F-Sport in 2010-2012. This particular car (and mine) are plain old LS460 with the Sport option the includes different interior and that spiffy body trim you're referring to.
Pretty neat! Does this option require AWD?
Old 07-12-16, 08:14 AM
seanl
Intermediate

Originally Posted by comotiger
Pretty neat! Does this option require AWD?
Nope, my car is RWD.
Old 07-12-16, 08:56 PM
AznRacer
Lexus Test Driver

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

I've bought a few cars from carmax before and always had good experiences. I highly recommend their maxcare extended warranty 72month/150,000 miles was the highest they offer back then. They have always pickup the taps at the dealerships when I need warranty related repairs.
Old 07-12-16, 09:22 PM
sayow
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by AznRacer
I've bought a few cars from carmax before and always had good experiences. I highly recommend their maxcare extended warranty 72month/150,000 miles was the highest they offer back then. They have always pickup the taps at the dealerships when I need warranty related repairs.
That is great to hear thanks for sharing your experience. Hoping i never need it but nice to know its a solid warranty.
Old 07-14-16, 03:17 PM
rld14
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Well,

CarMax isn't exactly cheap. I find that my CPO cars are often the same price as cars on their lot. That being said they sell nice stuff and stand behind it.

That being said, I don't think the OP got killed on this car AND, let's remember one thing people... LS460 Sports aren't exactly dime a dozen, are they?

Bill
Old 07-14-16, 03:27 PM
litesoarer
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by rld14
Well,

CarMax isn't exactly cheap. I find that my CPO cars are often the same price as cars on their lot. That being said they sell nice stuff and stand behind it.

That being said, I don't think the OP got killed on this car AND, let's remember one thing people... LS460 Sports aren't exactly dime a dozen, are they?

Bill
Aren't they?

JK, I love mine even though brake pad sensors decided to go beserk causing yet another trip to the dealer.
Plus that damn right rear shock looks to be leaking down again. (I'm averaging one dealer visit every three weeks at this rate)