LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Gasoline:name brand or generic and why????

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-16, 12:04 PM
steelers6
Pole Position

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Gasoline:name brand or generic and why????

Just wondering if you guys use a NAME BRAND or a GENERIC BRAND of gasoline and why????
Old 06-27-16, 12:24 PM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Received 505 Likes on 383 Posts

Generic (usually). Because it's cheaper (significantly). Once a year, I toss in a bottle of Techron. I use 92 octane, which is more than what's required, but 91 isn't available where I fuel up.

107k miles.....no issues.
Old 06-27-16, 12:32 PM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Received 505 Likes on 383 Posts

And there's this from Edmunds:

[QUOTE][/ Mazor believes that the driving public has outdated notions about gas. Twenty years ago, only premium fuel had detergents in it. Back then, it was beneficial to occasionally buy a tank of high-test gas to clean the engine. Then, he says, "regulations were very lax and there was little enforcement. But all that has changed."

Likewise, Randy Stephens, chief engineer for Toyota's Avalon, isn't wholly convinced by the claims of engine protection afforded by higher-priced gas. He says fuel experts at his company study the effects of different brands of gas on the Toyota engines. Automotive engineers disassemble engines after 10,000 miles of running them on different brands of gas to see if there is a difference.

"Honestly, in the 10 years I've been in charge of Avalon, I've never seen one come back with any sort of deposit issue," Stephens says.

Nevertheless, Stephens admits to being "swayed" by ads that tout cleaning agents. Twice a year he adds a bottle of Chevron U.S.A. Inc.'s Techron — the same additive that's in Chevron gasoline — to the fuel tank of his personal car.
QUOTE]

Funny, he does the same as I do (Techron) lol.
Old 06-27-16, 01:15 PM
Littleguy
Intermediate

Received 44 Likes on 32 Posts

93 from Phillips 66, just because it's convenient, in both of my cars (91 and 92 aren't available really here).
Old 06-27-16, 01:28 PM
DJWLDW
Pole Position

Received 420 Likes on 312 Posts

Costco/ Flying J/Pilot/Shell. These are the places I fuel the LS

Dennis
Old 06-27-16, 01:32 PM
sktn77a
Lead Lap

Received 292 Likes on 257 Posts

Bear in mind that the oil companies may be buying their gas from the same refiners. Who knows what you're getting at the pump these days.
Old 06-27-16, 01:33 PM
Dr. Jekyll
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 25 Posts

Been using Chevron for years, never an issue and they come highly recommend by my mechanic.
Old 06-27-16, 01:34 PM
Dr. Jekyll
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by sktn77a
Bear in mind that the oil companies may be buying their gas from the same refiners. Who knows what you're getting at the pump these days.
Good point, like Hawaii has 2 refineries, Chevron and Tesoro, Tesoro refines for everyone else but Chevron.
Old 06-27-16, 03:22 PM
steelers6
Pole Position

[QUOTE=roadfrog;9534603]And there's this from Edmunds:

[/ Mazor believes that the driving public has outdated notions about gas. Twenty years ago, only premium fuel had detergents in it. Back then, it was beneficial to occasionally buy a tank of high-test gas to clean the engine. Then, he says, "regulations were very lax and there was little enforcement. But all that has changed."

Likewise, Randy Stephens, chief engineer for Toyota's Avalon, isn't wholly convinced by the claims of engine protection afforded by higher-priced gas. He says fuel experts at his company study the effects of different brands of gas on the Toyota engines. Automotive engineers disassemble engines after 10,000 miles of running them on different brands of gas to see if there is a difference.

"Honestly, in the 10 years I've been in charge of Avalon, I've never seen one come back with any sort of deposit issue," Stephens says.

Nevertheless, Stephens admits to being "swayed" by ads that tout cleaning agents. Twice a year he adds a bottle of Chevron U.S.A. Inc.'s Techron — the same additive that's in Chevron gasoline — to the fuel tank of his personal car.
QUOTE]

Funny, he does the same as I do (Techron) lol.
WOWWWWWWWW im totally impressed,great information right there,much appreciated...
Old 06-27-16, 06:54 PM
greg3852
Lexus Test Driver

Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts

I can tell you to stay as far away from Wawa when gassing the LS. I've fueled up everywhere from Maine to South Carolina at all different types of gas stations. Wawa one time and I had HUGE power issues. Felt like I was driving a 4 cylinder. Never had an issue since.
Old 06-27-16, 07:19 PM
Kuhan
Pole Position

Received 52 Likes on 40 Posts

Costco, BP or Shell. Costco mostly because it's cheap and also in the top tier group.
Old 06-27-16, 07:38 PM
Chuckinnj
Advanced

Received 76 Likes on 59 Posts

Premium fuel at the lowest cost...... WAWA, Speedway, Valereo, Costco, etc.
Most of the gas in my area comes from one refinery.
Old 06-27-16, 07:49 PM
steelers6
Pole Position

Originally Posted by greg3852
I can tell you to stay as far away from Wawa when gassing the LS. I've fueled up everywhere from Maine to South Carolina at all different types of gas stations. Wawa one time and I had HUGE power issues. Felt like I was driving a 4 cylinder. Never had an issue since.
WOWWWWWWWW not cool at all,lol,thanks man...
Old 06-28-16, 03:51 AM
Rhambler
Lexus Test Driver

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

I use Chevron because they're all over the place here and it performs well based on my seat-of-the-pants feel. Use to use Shell exclusively, but after my anecdotal test, switched to Chevron. Just felt smoother to me in my previous car and I've read good things about the additive Techron.

Last edited by Rhambler; 06-28-16 at 04:21 AM.
Old 06-28-16, 04:15 AM
comotiger
Pole Position

Received 292 Likes on 251 Posts

Honestly, I don't pay attention to where I fill up, especially on road trips. At home, I use my neighborhood Breaktime (MFA Oil Inc.). Maybe I should be more discriminating

Quick Reply: Gasoline:name brand or generic and why????