LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Gasoline:name brand or generic and why????

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-16, 03:26 PM
Doublebase
Pole Position

Received 352 Likes on 243 Posts

Originally Posted by 7milesout
I'm considered cheap too. Especially by my wife. I'll come into the house, and on the way to the bedroom I'll turn off 18 lights (not 18 switches, but maybe 5 or 6 switches, most with multiple bulbs, but I count the bulbs), I'll turn off a TV and X-Box and a bathroom fan that nobody is near, noone is using. There's a (cartoon) commercial with a bunch of hogs running rampant in a house and every light in the house is on. The hogs are called "Power Hogs." That's my family. But I've compared my power bill to my M5 buddy ... I don't even compare to his energy bills.

My wife could leave the house at night on a 2 week vacation, look back and see the house glowing like the sun from every light being on, and not give it a 2nd thought. Drives me nuts. Her mother and grandmother leave lights on everywhere ... including in closets when the closet doors are closed! It's too much of a hassle for them to flip a switch. So I guess that kind of *^#* is ingrained.

But I do have 5 cars, a motorcycle, golf cart and ATV ... so yes, I do like my toys.
This is my life in a nutshell. My wife is the same way, not only does my wife not care about money, I actually think she's allergic to it. My wife comes up with so many new and unusual ways to waste money that she could write a book (but she'd spend all the profits on utilities). My wife leaves the stereo on during the day for our dog. Our dog! I swear she'd leave her car running all night in the driveway just so the interior would be the proper temperature upon her arrival. We just had the coldest two days of the summer this weekend...she had the central air blasting so hard that I needed blankets to stay warm. In the winter our house is a sauna - she says, well we don't want anyone getting sick. Getting sick?? We're going to have heat strokes. And I'm pretty sure she spent $3,000 on her hair last year (although that's never a definitive - she never can remember how much anything costs - doesn't matter if it was 10 minutes ago). I'm pretty sure she just spent $600 on a tattoo...although that's a bit confusing as well...she didn't consider the Visa Gift cards as actually currency when she calculated total cost (because you know, that isn't real money). Lol. The other day she told me she wanted me to get some tattoos, so I could "look like the guys on that show Vikings". You want me to look like super models that are ten years younger than me? And spend $2,000-$3,000 on tattoos? Tell you what, why don't we spend $80,000 and have you looking like Kate Upton? Better investment.

I wish I could be like her, I'd live till I was 100. That's what people do when nothing bothers them.

Last edited by Doublebase; 07-11-16 at 03:30 PM.
Old 09-05-16, 07:11 PM
johnnyg66
Racer

Received 152 Likes on 130 Posts

Originally Posted by comotiger
What can I say, I was skeptical that brand name mattered . That thread pre-dated my joining CL so never saw it. Your posts are very helpful. Thank you!

The list of gas stations selling Top Tier gasoline is actually quite long (http://www.toptiergas.com/retailers/), and it includes the places where I usually fill up (Breaktime, QuikTrip, Phillips66). They are just not some of the famous names. Still, from now on, I will probably pay more attention to where I fill up.

On another note, although a 10% ethanol blend is approved by Lexus for the LS, I am wondering if I should try to use gas without ethanol. That might be more challenging in the midwest, especially Missouri and Iowa, my predominant travel region.
Bring this back up since QT is selling regular unleaded with out ethanol i have tried this twice saw no difference. So its one penny more than premium but less octane.

Anyone been using it on a regular basis?

Old 09-05-16, 07:37 PM
comotiger
Pole Position

Received 292 Likes on 251 Posts

Originally Posted by johnnyg66
Bring this back up since QT is selling regular unleaded with out ethanol i have tried this twice saw no difference. So its one penny more than premium but less octane.
Anyone been using it on a regular basis?
Are you saying that you have used regular without ethanol (lower octane but higher price) in your LS and it seems fine? The premium gas has additives missing in the regular. So, there may not be any noticeable effect on engine performance by using regular, but there could be carbon buildup etc that will affect the engine over the long term.

I just filled up a couple of hours ago at Breaktime, and I didn't pay attention to whether the premium gas was an ethanol blend. I use this station a lot, and my car has been running fine, so ethanol blends should be OK.
Old 09-05-16, 08:51 PM
johnnyg66
Racer

Received 152 Likes on 130 Posts

Yes. Since you live in MO you have QT around and they sell 87 octane no-ethanol gas. Its priced 1 cent higher than 91 premium.

So many people worry about ethanol in the tank because of the moisture issue. I have used a few times in between premium usage.

Just wondering if anyone has been using it long term.

Guess not.

Thanks