LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Test drove a 2016 740i and a 2016 S550 today...how'd the LS stack up?

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-16, 10:33 AM
comotiger
Pole Position

Received 292 Likes on 251 Posts

Originally Posted by SW15LS
The tech strides in these cars really are more or less just window dressing. When it comes to "what would you actually use?" the LS has everything that the other two have. Its cleaner, higher tech looking in the S and 7, especially the 7. For instance when adjusting the seats on the 7 a 3D graphic of the seats comes up on the nav screen and you can see the exact adjustments you're making or the passenger is making on the screen in real time. Do you need that? No...its cool but once it gets old its going to be annoying when you're trying to look at the nav screen and your passenger is simply adjusting their seat.
Did you try the Heads Up Display on the 7 and 550? I tried it on an Equus and found it to be cool but very distracting. It may become useful with time, but I feel I would not use it much.

The "SkyView" feature for parking with full-surround cameras on these cars is awesome and I would definitely want that in the LS.
Old 06-23-16, 11:34 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,500 Likes on 1,803 Posts

Both of them had HUD. I like it, once you get used to it you never look down at the speedometer.

The sky view camera is unbelievable!
Old 06-23-16, 01:32 PM
comotiger
Pole Position

Both of them had HUD. I like it, once you get used to it you never look down at the speedometer.

The sky view camera is unbelievable!
I never look at the speedometer . But I love looking at all the other colorful lights and info in the display . I know the HUD on the 7 is a high quality color display, so it probably looks much better than the Equus I tested. The way I look at it, if car makers start squeezing in lots of info on the HUD, there will be a tendency to stare at it constantly rather than out at the road. It's a good thing they can be turned off.
Old 06-23-16, 01:44 PM
Kennyr44
Lead Lap

Received 59 Likes on 49 Posts

I was just parked next to a beautiful new S550 AWD. It looked very impressive. I could picture myself driving it. But! I will never ever buy another German car. I gave into my wife when she wanted one and she now totally agrees it was a big mistake. I told her it would end badly but I folded anyway.
Old 06-23-16, 02:52 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by comotiger
I never look at the speedometer . But I love looking at all the other colorful lights and info in the display . I know the HUD on the 7 is a high quality color display, so it probably looks much better than the Equus I tested. The way I look at it, if car makers start squeezing in lots of info on the HUD, there will be a tendency to stare at it constantly rather than out at the road. It's a good thing they can be turned off.
What were your thoughts on the Equus when you drove it vs your LS?
Old 06-23-16, 03:17 PM
comotiger
Pole Position

It was nearly a year ago! Overall, the vehicle drove well but I didn't take it on the freeway to compare noise levels. It felt solid and stable and was very quiet. I found the driving position in the Equus to be a bit off (somewhat high). The materials and finish on the Equus are below the LS, but the car is packed with features not available on the LS. It's a huge car, with a wheelbase pretty close to the 460L.

Since I drove the RWD Equus last summer, I cannot tell whether it would have handled any worse than an AWD LS on winter roads.

I have lusted for an LS since the 90s, and I am happy I can afford one now. But the bottom line is if the Equus had been available in AWD (as the G90 would), I would have definitely picked it over the LS for the value it represents.

Last edited by comotiger; 06-23-16 at 04:54 PM.
Old 06-23-16, 04:29 PM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Received 505 Likes on 383 Posts

Originally Posted by comotiger
It was nearly a year ago! Overall, the vehicle drove well but I didn't take it on the freeway to compare noise levels. It felt solid and stable and was very quiet. I found the driving position in the Equus to be a bit off (somewhat high). The materials and finish on the Equus are below the LS, but the car is packed with features not available on the LS. It's a huge car, with a wheelbase pretty close to the 460L.

Since I drove the RWD Equus last summer, I cannot tell whether it would have handled any worse than an AWD LS.

I have lusted for an LS since the 90s, and I am happy I can afford one now. But the bottom line is if the Equus had been available in AWD (as the G90 would), I would have definitely picked it over the LS for the value it represents.
Wait til the Hyundai G90 is released. THAT car looks to be a show-stopper.
Old 06-23-16, 05:01 PM
comotiger
Pole Position

Originally Posted by roadfrog
Wait til the Hyundai G90 is released. THAT car looks to be a show-stopper.
You mean the Genesis G90

I would have had to wait until at least 2018 to get a depreciated CPO G90. I needed a loaded LWB AWD vehicle now to travel around with my kids. So, I had to go with the LS. I briefly considered the 750iL and S550 (my wife is a sucker for BMW!), but based on all I have read here I am glad we got the LS
Old 06-23-16, 05:23 PM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Received 505 Likes on 383 Posts

You mean the Genesis G90
Correct. Hyundai's version of what Toyota did with creating the Lexus brand. It's a beautiful logo too...reminiscent of Aston Martin's wings. As small an issue as it may be, many potential buyers were averse to the Hyundai logo being associated to a luxury purchase. It wil be interesting to see if Kia does a similar thing with the K900.
Old 06-24-16, 07:11 AM
Doublebase
Pole Position

Received 352 Likes on 243 Posts

Originally Posted by tbilisi79
Thanks for the review .
I work in Manhattan Ny so S550s are dime a dozen . They are mainly limo cars working as high end taxis . A few 750s as well but not as many as s550s.

I absolutely love the styling of the new s550. And I strongly believe I'd own one right now if it wasn't for our 3 year old daughter. I don't want to be spending money on something that depreciates as fast as a German car.
Neither do I want to deal with the twin turbo madness.
All of these cars are 5 year cars at max, after that into container they go.

As I get older, I realize I nee less things. So all that tech is useless to me. All I want is 300hp, ac, heat, and power windows.
Yup I've been to Manhattan and the s550 is all you see there...should be the official car of NY city.
Old 06-24-16, 09:32 AM
greg3852
Lexus Test Driver

Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by Doublebase
Yup I've been to Manhattan and the s550 is all you see there...should be the official car of NY city.
Been there many times, S550's everywhere. About 10 years ago, saw a Maybach 62 and a Phantom on the same day.

Greenwich Ct is by far the best city for car watching I've ever been to.

Can't wait to check out the G90 in person.
Old 06-24-16, 11:58 PM
jainla
Intermediate

Received 42 Likes on 24 Posts

I drove the Equus when they launched it at the LA Auto show a few years ago. I remember thinking 3 things vs my LS430:
  1. My 13 year old LS is quieter
  2. My 13 year old LS has nicer materials.
  3. My 13 year old LS is paid for.

That being said were I to cross shop it new with an LS it would be interesting; but in brand-conscious LA it would be a bold choice. I'm curious as to the new G90 (and the whole Genesis line). I liked the Genesis when I drove it a few years ago; but it needs some brand differentiation between it and Hyundai. I think if they had done that from the start it would be a different story; but that being said I do see a couple here and there on the streets of LA.

The new S550 and 7 have great interiors (I've seen them at the car show) and the materials in BMWs have always been great. I thought the W222 was a step up from the W221 as far as fit and finish; but I have yet to drive the later. I drove an S600 221 a couple months ago and while the power is breathtaking the rest of the car feels like an S class; big, imposing, solid serious. The LS is just.... friendlier. Steve did you find the 222 to be the same or better than the 221?

The LWB 4LS cars are a little more comparable to the 7 and the S as far as interiors; there's much more leather and to me at least the Lexus dash and door leather is at least as good as the Mercedes leather. But to Steve's point the S and 7 have newer, fresher designs (including fancy LED lights). The S has real metal vents (fun) and seems to finally have shed the plasticitis that crept in during the early '00s.

I also agree the cabin tech is in need of an update for Lexus; someone in my family just bought a brand new ES350 and the menus and such look 10 years old. I really haven't been much of an RT fan since getting a couple IS cars as dealer loaners; I find it distracting. I've used the newer version of COMAND in other Benzes and it seemed kind of slow and needlessly complicated. The BMW system is marginally better but having all these options buried in many menus makes me feel like I'm using a computer rather than a car. The Audi MMI system remains my favorite in the controller wars. It balances the need for control and complexity quite well IMHO.

That being said I think things bode well for 5LS. The LC materials and interior seem really good; and the design is bold, spectacular, different. I figure the LS will be a little toned down but if it's anything like the LF-FC it's still going to be a stunner; and hopefully different in it's segment.

I'll be sad if they get rid of the articulated driver side windshield wiper though. The latest spy shots don't have it.
Old 06-25-16, 12:27 AM
Aron9000
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

Personally, if it were my money, I think I'd go with a decked out long wheelbase LS460. The Benz is the superior car, but personally I think it has a bit too much of the "I am the 4th Herzog of Stuttgart, kneel before your lord" type of vibe going on with it. The Benz is an awesome car and brings that Rolls Royce level of fit/finish to a much lower price point, the technology is just amazing.

Its just that I am starting to get that sort of Bentley or Rolls Royce vibe with the new S-class. Its perhaps a bit too nice, too flashy, personally I feel like its rubbing your success in other people's faces, like its a bit vulgar if you catch my drift.
Old 06-25-16, 06:42 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by jainla
I drove the Equus when they launched it at the LA Auto show a few years ago. I remember thinking 3 things vs my LS430:
  1. My 13 year old LS is quieter
  2. My 13 year old LS has nicer materials.
  3. My 13 year old LS is paid for.
The refreshed Equus is a lot better though, especially inside.

Steve did you find the 222 to be the same or better than the 221?
Better for sure. I was always underwhelmed by the ride of the 221.

The LWB 4LS cars are a little more comparable to the 7 and the S as far as interiors; there's much more leather and to me at least the Lexus dash and door leather is at least as good as the Mercedes leather.
When you're talking about a 13-16 LS the SWB gets all the door and dash leather the LWB has. Not as good as whats in the 7 or S for sure.

I'll be sad if they get rid of the articulated driver side windshield wiper though. The latest spy shots don't have it.
I thought I was the only one who noticed this and liked this! I noticed that in the spy shots too...

[quote-Aron9000]Personally, if it were my money, I think I'd go with a decked out long wheelbase LS460.[/quote]

Have you driven everything in the segment? I love the LS, but if I'm up in the high 80s-90s no way I'm buying an LS over a LWB Jaguar XJ, A8L, 7 Series or S Class. Even at that price the S is way more, but the other 3 all feel more special than the LS at those ranges, and while the S and XJ are real flashy, the 7 and A8 are quite understated.

My LS was $79k I got it for $69k. Now I could have gotten it for something in the low $60s. Thats crazy value.

Originally Posted by Aron9000
Its just that I am starting to get that sort of Bentley or Rolls Royce vibe with the new S-class. Its perhaps a bit too nice, too flashy, personally I feel like its rubbing your success in other people's faces, like its a bit vulgar if you catch my drift.
It depends on where you are. Here they're everywhere, so it reduces that impact.

Last edited by SW17LS; 06-25-16 at 06:47 AM.
Old 06-25-16, 08:07 AM
Rhambler
Lexus Test Driver

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Sometimes I feel like a driving billboard for Lexus and to a lessor extent, large, luxury sedans. I swear ever since I've been driving this, the amount of large, luxury sedans along my commute and in my neighborhood has jumped considerably.

There's a brand new S550 along my commute. It's clichéd in black, but dang, it looks nice. He makes a point to drive up next to me, then speed off lol.

One thing about that Benz is the shape and stance looks so sharp from all angles. The grill is larger than ours if you can believe that, but it's symmetrically-shaped. Our cars have a presence for sure, but I don't think it holds a candle to the way that '16 S550 looked.

I still won't buy one, though because of the aforementioned, potential headaches.

Quick Reply: Test drove a 2016 740i and a 2016 S550 today...how'd the LS stack up?