LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Price Check: CPO '12 LWB w/ 56k miles

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-16, 08:11 AM
nguyenak88
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Price Check: CPO '12 LWB w/ 56k miles

Hi all. I am new to the forums and in the market for an LS, specifically the LWB model. I found one online that is a CPO 2012 LS460L with 56k miles listed for $39K + taxes/fees. Options include air suspension, ML, pre-collision system, dynamic radar cruise control.

I've checked the carfax and service history on Lexus owners site. Just a couple things: A couple dent removals, windshield replaced, recommended fuel induction and rear differential fluid service needs to be done.

Is this a good price or what is the top dollar I should pay for this specific car? I don't want to start off low-balling too much and have the sales person be in a bad mood lol.

Thanks in advance.
Old 06-21-16, 10:03 AM
comotiger
Pole Position

Received 292 Likes on 251 Posts

Originally Posted by nguyenak88
Hi all. I am new to the forums and in the market for an LS, specifically the LWB model. I found one online that is a CPO 2012 LS460L with 56k miles listed for $39K + taxes/fees. Options include air suspension, ML, pre-collision system, dynamic radar cruise control.

I've checked the carfax and service history on Lexus owners site. Just a couple things: A couple dent removals, windshield replaced, recommended fuel induction and rear differential fluid service needs to be done.

Is this a good price or what is the top dollar I should pay for this specific car? I don't want to start off low-balling too much and have the sales person be in a bad mood lol.

Thanks in advance.
Took a quick look on cars.com. This is the Park Place listing, correct? Have you checked its price on KBB and NADA? For a CPO and the options, it seems to be in the correct price range. As I have learned, clean carfax means nothing. Make sure Autocheck report is also clean. You should definitely get the vehicle checked out by another mechanic or as a PPI to be sure there are no unresolved issues. Sometimes, dealers miss things too. Of course, CPO gives peace of mind, so it's your call whether to do a PPI.

If the dealer already knows fuel induction and differential service are needed, maybe you should negotiate to have it done before you consider further. Depending upon NADA and KBB values, I would start at 37K and negotiate.
Old 06-21-16, 11:26 AM
CJITTY

Received 146 Likes on 109 Posts

Don't even think about buying a used car without an independent inspector that can measure paint, check frame and other components. I personally think you can get that price down
Old 06-21-16, 12:13 PM
aeggroup
Rookie

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I recently bought Lexus CPO car, but it was 2010 SWB. I did all negotiation over the phone and e-mail from NYC with Florida Dealer. Original asking price was $2K more than purchase price. The car was on their lot for about 2 months. There was another car , CPO 2011 SWB with about 56K miles on ODO from another Florida dealer at that time, but it was black and I did not like the color.Their asking price was $33K and they were ready to sell it for $31K.I agree that it's always good to have independent inspection, but with CPO you kind of "covered" to avoid surprises. I just flew to Florida to check the car myself and have not used any independent mechanic.
Old 06-21-16, 12:25 PM
nguyenak88
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by comotiger
Took a quick look on cars.com. This is the Park Place listing, correct? Have you checked its price on KBB and NADA? For a CPO and the options, it seems to be in the correct price range. As I have learned, clean carfax means nothing. Make sure Autocheck report is also clean. You should definitely get the vehicle checked out by another mechanic or as a PPI to be sure there are no unresolved issues. Sometimes, dealers miss things too. Of course, CPO gives peace of mind, so it's your call whether to do a PPI.

If the dealer already knows fuel induction and differential service are needed, maybe you should negotiate to have it done before you consider further. Depending upon NADA and KBB values, I would start at 37K and negotiate.
Yes, this is the Park Place listing one. KBB and NADA goes for $35-$38K. I plan to do a PPI, the only thing is that I am a 5 hours drive away from the dealer. I can try to look for someone that can do do an independent inspection around there. I just hate having to travel all the way there and the car doesn't meet my expectations. Better to be safe than sorry though.

I am thinking on offering 35-36K out the door, but I doubt they will take it...
Old 06-21-16, 01:05 PM
comotiger
Pole Position

Yes, this is the Park Place listing one. KBB and NADA goes for $35-$38K. I plan to do a PPI, the only thing is that I am a 5 hours drive away from the dealer. I can try to look for someone that can do do an independent inspection around there. I just hate having to travel all the way there and the car doesn't meet my expectations. Better to be safe than sorry though.

I am thinking on offering 35-36K out the door, but I doubt they will take it...
I drove 12 hours from MO to NJ to trade in and buy my dream car! I got the vehicle inspected at a NJ Lexus dealership for $135. I received the report, and consulted Carfax and Autocheck before deciding. The Lexus inspection was not comprehensive and missed paint defects (bumper issues) but nothing serious. There are many PPI companies; here are two that showed up on top of Google search.

https://oneguardinspections.com/
http://www.autoappraisal.com/prepurchase.htm

Check Cargurus.com to see how long the vehicle has been on the market to see how flexible the dealer will be. There are plenty of similar vehicles on the market, so there is no harm in starting at 35K OTD.
Old 06-21-16, 02:38 PM
CJITTY

There are tons of inspectors that can go look at it and send you high res photos with a detailed report for under $200. No need to travel. The only gamble is getting car inspected and they sell it to someone else in between..that happened to me, but I caught a Toyota Dealer lying about prior repairs on a LS I was looking at...so I passed on it and ended up getting my LS which is a year newer for about $8K less that has no damage.
Old 06-21-16, 02:39 PM
CJITTY

Originally Posted by comotiger
I drove 12 hours from MO to NJ to trade in and buy my dream car! I got the vehicle inspected at a NJ Lexus dealership for $135. I received the report, and consulted Carfax and Autocheck before deciding. The Lexus inspection was not comprehensive and missed paint defects (bumper issues) but nothing serious. There are many PPI companies; here are two that showed up on top of Google search.

https://oneguardinspections.com/
http://www.autoappraisal.com/prepurchase.htm

Check Cargurus.com to see how long the vehicle has been on the market to see how flexible the dealer will be. There are plenty of similar vehicles on the market, so there is no harm in starting at 35K OTD.
Great Advice for the OP
Old 06-21-16, 04:06 PM
comotiger
Pole Position

Originally Posted by CJITTY
Great Advice for the OP
Thanks, CJITTY . I am just paying it forward for all the good information and advice I have received on CL.

I just wish I had asked for similar advice before buying my 2014! I joined CL after buying the car . I am sure I could have negotiated better and saved some money.
Old 06-21-16, 07:39 PM
LS430FL
Instructor

Received 91 Likes on 77 Posts

I just bought a 2011 LWB from local lexus dealer three days ago! Black with tan interior. It has 38K miles on it. Does not have the dynamic cruse like the one you are looking at. It is a CPO car since it was from lexus dealer. Comes with 2 year unlimited mileage CPO warranty and I extended it for a total of 4 years. Car and warranty out the door was $39K. Did I overpay, possibly by a little but the car is mint so I fell in love. Only thing I wish it had is chrome wheels.
Old 06-22-16, 04:24 AM
comotiger
Pole Position

Thanks in advance.
Another option to consider, which could be heresy on a Lexus forum

Since you are looking at RWD cars, why not a Hyundai Equus? There has been much discussion on CL about the pros and cons of Hyundai (just search the threads). Personally, if I were shopping for RWDs, the Equus offers excellent value for money. Here's a listing on cars.com for a 2014 CPO Equus Ultimate (fully loaded with all features - radar cruise, lane keeping, advanced pre-collision package - and others not available on any LS460: Bird's eye view, Heads Up Display, separate DVD screens for rear passengers) for 38K
https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/d...0112/overview/

Yes it is a Hyundai, and it depreciates fast, but I think it is good value if you plan to keep the car for many years, and worth a look
Old 06-22-16, 06:28 AM
R Z
Pole Position

Received 339 Likes on 259 Posts

Something to keep in mind. Do not believe what you see (or don't see) on the internet. There are plenty of ways to hide information. The Lexus Drivers site, Carfax, and all others only report what is written. So caveat emptor!

My 08 came from a Toyota Dealer in Missouri. They didn't "Show Me" everything. I'm lucky they split repairs with me, but it's not the same. While I love my car and smile every time I press start, I still wonder!

Good luck!
Old 06-22-16, 06:41 AM
rld14
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It seems kind of pricey..... OTOH it's Pearl White and highly equipped.

Personally I think closer to $36-37K is on the money