Hybrid Technology Unique topics related to the LS600h L model hybrid drivetrain and other features/options found only on the LS600h. Please use the main 4LS forum for discussion about shared components with other fourth generation LS models.

Lexus 600hl Hybrid System Failure

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-16, 01:28 PM
hfahmy
Advanced

Received 53 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by roadfrog
They're out there, and there's more and more companies producing them and cashing in on the opportunity. I've researched this and found that replacing these packs is actually quite easy and straightforward. The hardest part of the work is the sheer weight of these packs and muscling them out and into the vehicle..
I know that there are alternatives for the Prius. Appreciate sharing anything about the 600
Old 06-19-16, 02:29 PM
satiger
Instructor

Received 90 Likes on 65 Posts

OP, reading in between your posts looks like you had the same exact issue first time. Did that happened while on the road or before hitting the road?. Any how, I can only assume technician missed proper diagnosis.

There is another thread on hybrid battery failure where member Arvid made some good points on LS600 hybrid system. He is to the point and technical.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls-...y-failure.html

On a different topic, I don't even use ebay batteries on my flash lights.......forget about any ebay parts getting into any of my cars....
Old 06-19-16, 05:49 PM
caha14
Racer

Received 74 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by roadfrog
They're out there, and there's more and more companies producing them and cashing in on the opportunity. I've researched this and found that replacing these packs is actually quite easy and straightforward. The hardest part of the work is the sheer weight of these packs and muscling them out and into the vehicle..

Here are a couple of examples:

http://www.dormanproducts.com/pages/...rid/index.aspx

http://www.ebay.com/bhp/hybrid-battery-pack

Prius battery packs can be had for 500 dollars and one for a chevy is about 800
This is great, and in addition to aftermarket replacement options, targeted repairs will hopefully become more common over time. I came across the article I link below a long time ago (have been reading about this on-and-off), and it was eye-opening (and very interesting too). Wouldn't be surprised if many folks here have already seen it, but FWIW.

Then, however, I learned (via Arvid) that as tempting as it would be to extrapolate from Prius to 600h, the battery packs are constructed differently, with cells on the 600 battery being riveted, making individual replacement much harder . Satiger referenced Arvid's post, with a link to a detailed report (which, funny enough, I had loaded years ago but hadn't read in detail).

Anyway, it may take longer for there to be aftermarket options for the 600 (Prius and Camry demand is so much higher), but hopefully we'll get there.

EDIT: I had forgotten this! http://www.geek.com/news/toyota-deal...st-10-1616007/

Last edited by caha14; 06-19-16 at 06:06 PM.
Old 02-26-20, 05:49 AM
AKB
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had both the Check Hybrid System, engine and VSC warning lights. After trying a new battery, disconnecting the isolation plug re-plugging in, all kinds of things, nothing worked. I notice the hybrid battery coolant was low, so I topped it up. perhaps the hybrid batteries were overheating. Not seen the messages since.
Hope this helps.
Old 02-26-20, 08:51 PM
jainla
Intermediate

Received 42 Likes on 24 Posts

I've had the 'Check Hybrid System' light come on but the car drove fine; warning did not appear after I restarted the car. Took it to an Indy and they pulled the codes and said the "engine failed to start in a timely manner" reset the code and I believe cleaned the MAF or something. Issue did not come back.

When the 12v battery was dying I was on the PCH and floored the throttle and the car performed a shutdown sequence similar to the one described. I pulled over and rebooted the car; then gingerly drove it home and sourced a Bosch battery the next day from Pep Boys for about $220; transferred the little sensor from the old to the new and was off to the races. Knock on wood the car has run fine since.

+1 on both checking the connections for the 12v battery (they were somewhat awkward to set) as well as the coolant for the hybrid battery. These are somewhat unicorn cars but if you have a local repair place that specializes in Hybrid cars I would think they would have more experience troubleshooting as the system works very similarly to the other Toyota Hybrids; whereas the parts are different.
Old 04-27-20, 06:08 PM
GhostfaceK
Driver School Candidate

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by jainla
I've had the 'Check Hybrid System' light come on but the car drove fine; warning did not appear after I restarted the car. Took it to an Indy and they pulled the codes and said the "engine failed to start in a timely manner" reset the code and I believe cleaned the MAF or something. Issue did not come back.

When the 12v battery was dying I was on the PCH and floored the throttle and the car performed a shutdown sequence similar to the one described. I pulled over and rebooted the car; then gingerly drove it home and sourced a Bosch battery the next day from Pep Boys for about $220; transferred the little sensor from the old to the new and was off to the races. Knock on wood the car has run fine since.

+1 on both checking the connections for the 12v battery (they were somewhat awkward to set) as well as the coolant for the hybrid battery. These are somewhat unicorn cars but if you have a local repair place that specializes in Hybrid cars I would think they would have more experience troubleshooting as the system works very similarly to the other Toyota Hybrids; whereas the parts are different.
bosch is garbanzo beans
Old 12-08-23, 09:19 AM
Daisy223
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2007 Rx400 check hybrid system - coming to complete stop

My daughter's car just did this... 5 o'clock traffic. check hybrid system light comes on followed by all warning lights. Can't go anywhere. No power steering, no power anything. What's going on??? 2007 lexus rx400. Wait about 15 min and it'll start back up and go but this is dangerous!!! No warning whatsoever!!!

Originally Posted by rajnarang
I have a 2008 600hl. It showed Hybrid system failure and I took it to the dealer last week. They said that the hybrid system charges well but the issue seems to be 12V battery. They replaced that for $550. I got the car back and drove for 1 day, it stopped again at a major red light. This was a dead stop on Friday 5 pm peak hour traffic. My little daughter was sitting behind and so many cars came close to hitting us which made me mad at Lexus. Luckily I called cops and then they gave protection till it was towed.

All dashboard lights got on and it would show the following:
- Check Hybrid System
- Check Brake System
- Check VSC

My questions are as follows:
- Did the dealer do the proper repair when they changed 12v battery since the same issue happened last week?
- If I understand correctly from the blogs, Check Hybrid System is mainly a cell or module failure. If they at the dealership were able to charge the Hybrid System, does it mean it was working? Their health check showed 75%
- Since the car stopped abruptly at a stop light, if we were hit from behind, does Lexus/dealership have any liability? My major issue was that my daughter sitting behind does not get hurt.
- If I am forced to buy a battery pack, should we but it aftermarket or from the dealer?

Appreciate your help/response.

Regards
RN
Old 12-08-23, 09:35 AM
LeX2K
Lexus Champion

Received 2,707 Likes on 2,292 Posts

Get the 12 volt battery tested.