LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H
View Poll Results: Would you purchase this exhaust mod?
Yes
76.92%
No
23.08%
Voters: 13. You may not vote on this poll

Exhaust Mod Thread..

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-16, 10:01 PM
Meraki Autoworks
Your #1 Lexus Vendor

Received 668 Likes on 590 Posts
Default Exhaust Mod Thread..

Hey guys..

Josh with Meraki Autoworks opening this thread again..

Who is interested in purchasing one of these systems?! The original thread creator has contacted me regarding this product. I'm assuming that a lot of you guys know what product I am talking about, if not, please comment so I can write it all out!

-Josh

Your #1 Dealer for Aftermarket Performance Products
Orange County, CA
Email: info@merakiautoworks.com
Text/Call: 213 394 2886
Old 06-02-16, 04:20 AM
litesoarer
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Meraki Autoworks
Hey guys..

Josh with Meraki Autoworks opening this thread again..

Who is interested in purchasing one of these systems?! The original thread creator has contacted me regarding this product. I'm assuming that a lot of you guys know what product I am talking about, if not, please comment so I can write it all out!

-Josh
Exhaust vents?

So who's actually selling this product?
Old 06-02-16, 05:56 AM
7milesout
Advanced

Received 78 Likes on 62 Posts

litesoarer, and all,

Josh at Meraki Autoworks is the vendor I have began communicating with. As explained to me, I either have to become a vendor, or I have to partner up with a vendor. After reading about the capabilities and the directions of SEVERAL vendors I chose to reach out to Josh. Me becoming a vendor is not economically feasible at this time.

Since M-A is an established vendor, he has the ability to sell and gather interest, where I do not. Since it is not economically feasible for me to become a vendor, either I just go away and CL members lose the chance to procure these Exhaust Vents, or I partner up.

From what I've read so far, Josh is as passionate as I am (OK ... likely more passionate ) about Lexus vehicles. Josh and I are establishing a relationship here. So far, so good. So responding to Josh, is like responding to me. He needs to know if this is a viable expense to expose himself to.

Don't pull any punches, let him know for real what your thinking is. That includes feedback from the 3 members I chose to provide samples to.

Thanks for your input, positive or negative. I don't want to waste Josh's time, if this will not work for him!

7milesout
Old 06-02-16, 08:28 AM
Chuckinnj
Advanced

Received 76 Likes on 59 Posts

I would be interested if I knew what I was buying...... EG: Picture of the exhaust vent and install instructions.
Hopefully this works out for everybody!
This is SIMPLE,........ "IF" you saw a "pill" advertised that would grow hair I am sure you would want to know what was in it and how it worked BEFORE you spent your hard earned money on it and swallowed the pill.
Even if you were going to sell this exhaust vent on Flea Bay (which is another "affordable" marketing option) you would have to show a picture along with an accurate description of the product....... So why not here??

Last edited by Chuckinnj; 06-02-16 at 02:00 PM.
Old 06-02-16, 09:29 AM
brianlin87
Resident JDM Snob

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by Meraki Autoworks
Who is interested in purchasing one of these systems?!
I'm going to chime in here with an honest response because I believe we have mutual friends and I think we have met before at the Attic when I used to frequent there and you used to work there.

Anyhow, I think the real questions you need to address here are
(a) "what" exactly this modification consists of; and
(b) at what price point are you intending to sell it for

From what I've read and gathered now from the multiple threads related to this "exhaust mod" - it sounds like it's a "noise maker", similar to the "OE Lexus LS460 Air Intake Sound Generator Kit" here that sells for $100 or so:

Again, echoing the fact that there have been mutiple threads now created again and again for this "exhaust mod" should tell you that there exists a demand, assuming it is a cost-effective part. If you price this "exhaust mod" anywhere near the OE Lexus Dealership price of ~$100 I'm sure you'll see cynics and people making comments similar to this

Originally Posted by jgbackes
I wonder if the noise it generates is the sound of money going down the drain
Originally Posted by roadfrog
I think it would go good with this:
http://tornadoair.com/
*Tongue firmly in cheek*
My advice is if you wanted to market this effectively, you would first show people the look and hardware of exactly what they're going to be buying.

Call me a cynic, but I didn't read anywhere that 7milesout/Meraki Autoworks is involved in any sort of a manufacturing process, so I would assume there would be no warranty or liability held should something go wrong (someone always finds a way).

No offense, and this is the biggest point, but the recurring ambiguous response that gets batted around in regards to the "look" of this 'mod" makes me assume that it's some $10-$20 part from a local hardware store with nuts and bolts.

Wouldn't be the first time:
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls-...er-trim-3.html
Old 06-02-16, 10:52 AM
Meraki Autoworks
Your #1 Lexus Vendor

Originally Posted by brianlin87
I'm going to chime in here with an honest response because I believe we have mutual friends and I think we have met before at the Attic when I used to frequent there and you used to work there.

Anyhow, I think the real questions you need to address here are
(a) "what" exactly this modification consists of; and
(b) at what price point are you intending to sell it for

From what I've read and gathered now from the multiple threads related to this "exhaust mod" - it sounds like it's a "noise maker", similar to the "OE Lexus LS460 Air Intake Sound Generator Kit" here that sells for $100 or so:

Again, echoing the fact that there have been mutiple threads now created again and again for this "exhaust mod" should tell you that there exists a demand, assuming it is a cost-effective part. If you price this "exhaust mod" anywhere near the OE Lexus Dealership price of ~$100 I'm sure you'll see cynics and people making comments similar to this

My advice is if you wanted to market this effectively, you would first show people the look and hardware of exactly what they're going to be buying.

Call me a cynic, but I didn't read anywhere that 7milesout/Meraki Autoworks is involved in any sort of a manufacturing process, so I would assume there would be no warranty or liability held should something go wrong (someone always finds a way).

No offense, and this is the biggest point, but the recurring ambiguous response that gets batted around in regards to the "look" of this 'mod" makes me assume that it's some $10-$20 part from a local hardware store with nuts and bolts.

Wouldn't be the first time:
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls-...er-trim-3.html
Thanks Brian.

These are all great points, and I hope Jason can chime in on this and explain everything.

-Josh

Orange County, CA
Old 06-02-16, 10:59 AM
7milesout
Advanced

Brian - All justified reasoning. But the Exhaust Vents are NOWHERE NEAR a product like the "Sound Generator" you posted. I had no knowledge that even existed. But the fact that it does is an indication that even Toyota heard from customers that the vehicle is too quiet. I wonder who may have installed that, and if they were happy with the sound? That sound is probably like an intake hum. The Exhaust Vents are real exhaust sound.

In the original thread, I had a link to a video with the sound before and after. With headphones, you can clearly hear the difference. I don't believe I should link that video here, it could still be against the rules. But the video continues to exist. Although ... maybe Josh could link it. Dunno ... will check.

Be patient, I'm hoping we will hear from PrinceAkim, Tee & roadfrog their impressions. As for images, to date, the samples I made did not have the laser etching on them that the final product will have. Once I get samples with the laser etching, between myself and Josh, we will make images & instructions available.

I'm going to dangle an olive branch of apology here. I started the original thread back on about 4/20, somewhere in that time zone. I started the thread just as I was making the initial samples that was going to go into my car. It was an authentic experiment. I thought it stood a good chance to sound really bad. But it didn't. My apology is this: This is really all very new. I apologize for the lack of information (because of the newness, and maybe an overbearing sense of self-protection to prevent my work (and expense) from being copied and wasted), and I apologize for doing this in a way that broke the forum rules and created a big disturbance of communication to you guys.

I'm going to try diligently to form a partnership with Josh. I already get the sense with Josh that he is a professional. If he and I can work this out, I believe every person that purchases this is going to be pleasantly surprised.
Old 06-02-16, 10:27 PM
Meraki Autoworks
Your #1 Lexus Vendor

As of right now, on my end, I'm seeing if there is enough interest and serious buyers for me to inventory these items.

-Josh

Orange County, CA
Old 06-03-16, 01:54 AM
Doublebase
Pole Position

Received 352 Likes on 243 Posts

7milesout, have you tried Facebook? There's a page for LS owner's/enthusiasts, I imagine your before and after video would create some interest, especially if this mod could be made for other LS's. There are quite a few people who belong to clublexus on the Facebook page...might be worth a shot. And as others have said, there are other avenues to get your product out there. Sounds like a better solution than trying to get the word out here.

I imagine your mod is a small spacer with a slit machined into the bottom that allows the exhaust gas to leak and create the sound you got in your video - which is pretty damn cool. I think you're correct, that if you post a picture of it people will be able to make this on their own (probably not as good as yours), and when theirs isn't done properly (and they don't like it), they won't buy your's. I also imagine part of the problem is that your design isn't quite finished yet...it needs some cosmetic polishing...perhaps chrome...laser etching like you said...perhaps colored alloy, etc. And to get that will take some cash/sales...and without pictures you'll have trouble getting sales. So you're in a catch 22. But at the very least you need to get the video some serious exposure and I think you need to be able to make this device for some other LS models (so you'll need measurements). Try some other avenues. Be patient and hold your ground (don't show your hard work because it will get hijacked from you). And keep in mind...you're not going to get rich doing this (and I'm sure that wasn't your intention anyway), but then again a quick google search on "exhaust gas venting" didn't really turn up anything...so perhaps you're on to something. Then again venting exhaust gas under a vehicle is most likely illegal. But I think responsible adults can handle this in moderation...hell pot is legal in most states now...or at least that's what I've read on the Internet
Old 06-03-16, 06:57 AM
Tee

Received 67 Likes on 56 Posts

I had the prototype installed on my car for a few weeks now and I still love it! No drone on the highway and it has just the right sound to it (balanced) for my taste, again this is an LS so I'm not for a loud robust sound to draw attention. I also gotten complements on how it sounds when I leave the lot at the job from co-workers saying how nice it sounds. They agree it's a subtle, nice sounding exhaust note. If you want to hear your V-8 vs stock try it out, I don't think you will be disappointed.
Old 06-03-16, 11:26 AM
Meraki Autoworks
Your #1 Lexus Vendor

Originally Posted by Tee
I had the prototype installed on my car for a few weeks now and I still love it! No drone on the highway and it has just the right sound to it (balanced) for my taste, again this is an LS so I'm not for a loud robust sound to draw attention. I also gotten complements on how it sounds when I leave the lot at the job from co-workers saying how nice it sounds. They agree it's a subtle, nice sounding exhaust note. If you want to hear your V-8 vs stock try it out, I don't think you will be disappointed.
Hey,

Would it be possible to get some sound clips from outside and inside? Maybe this will spark some interest.

-Josh

Orange County, CA
Old 06-03-16, 11:35 AM
DriftGirl
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

sound clips arent gonna cut it..pics of what you guys are trying to sel or it pretty much pointless to continue "talking" about it. I think enough has been said....we're just waiting to see what we are being offered.
Old 06-03-16, 12:27 PM
Meraki Autoworks
Your #1 Lexus Vendor

Here's one sound clip.

-Josh

Orange County, CA
Old 06-03-16, 12:50 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,128 Likes on 1,298 Posts

Folks this thread is OK for a short period while Josh is deciding if he will carry the item.
Old 06-03-16, 01:09 PM
7milesout
Advanced

I just started this less than 2 months ago. I'm a 1 man show. And within that time span I have stumbled into a problem with a delivery method to "the market." Josh has since been involved. His involvement is less than a week. Both Josh and I run a risk with this project. There's decent money to be lost if these are prepared and then they just sit on a shelf. So, this possibility must be VETTED. Let me correct that, this possibility SHOULD be VETTED. That is what we are doing.

I can understand that some may think that making this product available is like snapping their fingers. But it is not like that at all. And it matters little what this kit looks like. It can look like a pile of manure, or it can look like cherry pie. Once the vents are installed you can't see them, and you won't see them again. It matters MORE how these vents perform.

I was targeting having these ready to ship by 6/20. However that was mentioned on the removed thread, and I have to keep in mind maybe most of you either didn't see that, or don't remember. But since the thread has shut down, I've had to change gears, jump through a couple hurdles. And now Josh needs to vet this out too. He is wise to do so.

What we would like to know is if there is interest, or if you all think you would rather leave your exhaust as-is.

Possibly what I sort of gather is that there is interest, but there is interest in it NOW. And since we are bound by the law of physics and time, some are irritated with that. I tried to make this as real as possible by having credible members equip their LS vehicles with this and provide feedback. There's no conspiracy to trick or be mysterious.

I hold a more than full time job and have 3 young sons, so I stay very bsuy. I'm out of town right now. But when I get back, I will do my best to get some videos from outside the car. Cranking, accelerating away, etc.

7milesout

Quick Reply: Exhaust Mod Thread..