LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H
View Poll Results: Would you purchase this exhaust mod?
Yes
76.92%
No
23.08%
Voters: 13. You may not vote on this poll

Exhaust Mod Thread..

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-16, 02:06 PM
brianlin87
Racer

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

I could be wrong, but sounds to me like the best medium to this business 'opportunity' would be just to sell these parts based on consignment.
Old 06-03-16, 03:04 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,753 Likes on 1,968 Posts

Perhaps a poll? "would you be interested in a simple mod that adds a little bit of throaty sound to your exhaust for $X, yes or no?
Old 06-03-16, 03:53 PM
brianlin87
Racer

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by SW15LS
Perhaps a poll? "would you be interested in a simple mod that adds a little bit of throaty sound to your exhaust for $X, yes or no?
7milesout can chime in and correct me, but based on the original thread, my last recollection of price quote was $120-150(?).
Old 06-03-16, 05:03 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Sounds reasonable to me.
Old 06-03-16, 06:20 PM
litesoarer
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Seems a bit high to me. It cost me less to do the delete + j pipes and that involved putting the car on a lift.

I could see $60-80 perhaps.
Old 06-03-16, 06:31 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by litesoarer
Seems a bit high to me. It cost me less to do the delete + j pipes and that involved putting the car on a lift.

I could see $60-80 perhaps.
I don't think the two are comparable. I wouldn't ever consider doing that but I would consider this.
Old 06-03-16, 06:46 PM
litesoarer
Lexus Test Driver

You should.

I'm going to be working on killing the 1,300-1,600 rpm drone that our transmissions cause from lugging the engine on street driving. I'm mocking up a few different lengths of pipe to achieve this, but for now I think 28" will work best while still eliminating the 1,700-2,000 highway speed drone.
Old 06-03-16, 06:52 PM
Chuckinnj
Advanced

Received 77 Likes on 60 Posts

I am very interested HOWEVER, I want to see what I am buying. I really don't understand why this piece is so secret..... Is this manufactured in AREA 51?
Anyone who would copy this "invention" would have to market it to the LS community and I feel very confident that "IF" anyone decided to copy this (7milesout) exhaust vent "invention" they would be labeled a "D-Bag" by the CL community and it would not sell because nobody wants to deal with a "D-Bag" who steals from another enthusiast who invested his time and energy in a product.
An educated consumer would NOT buy anything they could not see before purchasing...... Everything on Flea Bay, Jegs, Summit, JC Whitney has pics and a "basic description" and you would be foolish to buy something unseen.
Want to gain some real interest?........ Post some pix with install instructions and you will get some more people interested in this exhaust vent.
Old 06-03-16, 07:26 PM
litesoarer
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Chuckinnj
I am very interested HOWEVER, I want to see what I am buying. I really don't understand why this piece is so secret..... Is this manufactured in AREA 51?
Anyone who would copy this "invention" would have to market it to the LS community and I feel very confident that "IF" anyone decided to copy this (7milesout) exhaust vent "invention" they would be labeled a "D-Bag" by the CL community and it would not sell because nobody wants to deal with a "D-Bag" who steals from another enthusiast who invested his time and energy in a product.
An educated consumer would NOT buy anything they could not see before purchasing...... Everything on Flea Bay, Jegs, Summit, JC Whitney has pics and a "basic description" and you would be foolish to buy something unseen.
Want to gain some real interest?........ Post some pix with install instructions and you will get some more people interested in this exhaust vent.
Agreed.

And honestly, if someone wants to imitate the product for their own purposes then what stops them from just buying one from the OP and reverse engineering it? Especially if there is no patent.

I can see (Well, I can't see it because there are no pictures) this modification possibly working on more than just the LS as long as a universal kit can be mocked up.

People like to see what they're spending their money on. Visuals are just as, if not more important than the effect one seeks. As far as the "packaging will be superb" goes, I'm not paying for special packaging. I want a special product.

Pack it in the Sunday funnies and put it in a 2 day priority box and most people looking at this mod will gladly save this expense.
Old 06-03-16, 07:57 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Nobody's asking anybody to buy anything without seeing it. They just want to know if people would be interested in such a product. If people would theoretically be interested they'll go from there.

And no, not interested in removing mufflers or welding pipes or eliminating drone on an $80,000 Lexus. If someone can provide me with a bolt on quality part that gives me a polished repeatable result, I'd pay $150 for it. Not into devising my own thing or trying different setups...Etc.
Old 06-03-16, 11:15 PM
sdwtchlvr
Intermediate

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Yeah, I'd be interested.
Old 06-04-16, 01:51 AM
Meraki Autoworks
Your #1 Lexus Vendor
CL Vendor - Starter

Received 699 Likes on 613 Posts

After manufacturing costs, shipping costs, etc..

The product will most likely be offered at $199 shipped anywhere in US.

-Josh

Your #1 Dealer for Aftermarket Performance Products
Orange County, CA
Email: info@merakiautoworks.com
Text/Call: 213 394 2886
Old 06-04-16, 05:54 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

That's not cheap, but for a quality part that I knew what the result would be, I would probably still buy one.

Need to see more audio/video clips though for myself personally.
Old 06-04-16, 09:46 AM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Received 509 Likes on 386 Posts

Update:

I've had this product on my car for about a week now. This has included a mixture of highway driving (about 300 miles altogether), and city driving at all speeds and conditions (about 60 miles).

This "exhaust note" for me , is PERFECT. More importantly, there is ZERO drone.....at any speed or RPM. Accelerating hard is awesome. It's not as loud as say, a Maserati Quattropole, but still authorative. At idle, there is just a hint of burble, but again, not like a Maserati or whatever, but definitely a notch up from stock, which is good because I didn't want to ruin the serenity of the LS, but still wanted to hear a nice exhaust note when I accelerated hard. Running the car's ECT in "power" mode accentuates the experience even more.

As for installation, it was a breeze. Literally 10-20 minutes would suffice. A ratchet and socket was all I needed. I sprayed a little PB Blaster on the bolts first. The nuts are welded on the flange, so having a wrench is unnecessary. Truly as easy as it gets. I ran my car up on ramps at the rear end to make life easier. The included bolts are quality pieces.

As for the parts themselves, again....quality. The box was well packaged, ensuring everything was in place and easy to find (ie: the bolts). Instructions were clear, though I believe 7milesout is revising and editing them for extra clarity. The vent pieces themselves also seemed good quality. However, I have no idea what they're made of, nor how durable they will be to the extremes of an exhaust environment. I guess time will tell. I CAN say that they seemed like quality and they were not just a hacksawed piece, roughly cut to dimension. Smooth edges, even sized, holes perfectly lined up and a perfect fit. Again, the bolts were of excellent quality and strength as well.

I don't anticipate any issues down the road, however I will update if anything changes. So far though, these things are staying in! I love the sound. I wouldn't want anything louder ot more intrusive. NO WAY can I anticipate doing anything that involves a muffler delete. The best part about this mod, is it's easily reversible a in a few minutes.
Old 06-04-16, 09:57 AM
younglad
Driver School Candidate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Still no pics?????????

Quick Reply: Exhaust Mod Thread..