LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Polishing windshield?

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-16, 08:27 AM
teedub21
Pole Position

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts
Default Polishing windshield?

My new to me LS460's windshield looks like the wipers were used to clean a constant supply of fine sand from the glass. Hazy wiper marks that are very distracting when in direct sunlight. I've ordered the CarPro Ceriglass polishing kit from Autogeek and was going to use it on my Porter Cable DA. Has anyone had luck polishing the factory Lexus glass? I'd rather fix the original windshield rather than replace with with an aftermarket one if possible.
Old 05-30-16, 12:05 PM
Chuckinnj
Advanced

Received 76 Likes on 59 Posts

I have polished glass with excellent results and you are on the right track as far as the kit........ Did you buy the glass polishing pad too? I use a Flex polisher and your Porter Cable will work also but it will take more effort. I highly suggest using the Car Pro or Griots Garage rayon polishing pads (the geek sells them) and keep the glass wet with the polish while moving the buffer around the glass to avoid excessive heat build up. Buffing the wiper scratch out will take some time and patience so take your time and don't build up too much heat with the machine.
If the scratch can be "caught" with a finger nail it may be too deep to polish out and attempting to buff the scratch out will distort the glass....... Basically it's time for a new windshield after "a rock hits it."

Last edited by Chuckinnj; 05-30-16 at 04:44 PM.
Old 05-30-16, 01:23 PM
mdpresco
Pit Crew

Received 30 Likes on 24 Posts

I purchased and used the CarPro product I did not get all the scratches out after an hour of polishing but is is better. I used a Porter-Cable DA.

Chucking is correct - lots of work.

Good luck.
Old 05-30-16, 08:31 PM
teedub21
Pole Position

I did buy the CarPro pads. No deep scratches, it just looks hazy with a lot of fine "micro scratches". The car was meticulously maintained mechanically and the interior is perfect, but the original owner was some tech company guru that wasn't the kind of guy to hand wash his own cars. Regular automatic car wash sort of guy. I'm going to have some paint correction to do too, but the windshield has to be done first.
Old 05-31-16, 09:01 AM
CRowe14
Lexus Test Driver

Received 64 Likes on 45 Posts

I'd have to guess that if he ran the car through automatic washes a lot, the clear coat has taken a beating.
Good thing you've purchases the buffer, now you'll be able to wax and polish the vehicle to remove the spider webs in the clear coat. I have yet to tackle this task on myself, but plan on it soon.

Good luck with the process!
Old 05-31-16, 11:57 AM
dlbuckls10
Racer

Received 96 Likes on 80 Posts

Good luck! Polishing glass is very different than polishing paint. Polishing the windshield usually end with no significant results and looking worst. A new windshield is probably your best option and even with an aftermarket you couldn't tell it from the original and no one will know but you.
Old 05-31-16, 12:16 PM
riknchar
Instructor

Received 227 Likes on 140 Posts

Originally Posted by dlbuckls10
Good luck! Polishing glass is very different than polishing paint. Polishing the windshield usually end with no significant results and looking worst. A new windshield is probably your best option and even with an aftermarket you couldn't tell it from the original and no one will know but you.
The windshield of my 2008 LS600hL has two nasty wiper scratch streaks across the lower portion of the Driver's side that have always bothered me. Every morning driving to work looking into the rising sun I was reminded of the scratches, and no matter how much I cleaned the windshield they still bugged me.

I was researching the glass polishing procedures and agonizing over whether it was even worth it when I took a rock strike to my windshield 2 weeks ago that left a small, but very annoying chip right in my line of sight.

I guess that solved my problem... My car is currently at Lexus of Omaha having a new Lexus windshield installed. Kind of painful, financially, as I have a $1K deductible and the windshield will cost a total of $1375. I'm not even sure I'll be successful in getting USAA to pick up the $375 above my deductible, since Safelite (the USAA Glass Provider) said they'd do the job for $1135 (using OEM glass).

Also was interesting that the "low-cost" non-OEM Safelite glass solution, which is normally VERY cheap, came in at like $900.

In the end, I may or may not collect anything from insurance, but at least I'll have a sparkling clean, brand new Lexus windshield to take care of.
Old 05-31-16, 03:17 PM
Chuckinnj
Advanced

When you get the new windshield installed clean it really well with a Micro Fiber Glass Towel and glass cleaner THEN seal it with a quality glass sealant.
Old 05-31-16, 06:49 PM
teedub21
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Chuckinnj
When you get the new windshield installed clean it really well with a Micro Fiber Glass Towel and glass cleaner THEN seal it with a quality glass sealant.
Well I'm going to try the polishing route first before dropping $1000 on a new window.
Old 06-04-16, 07:42 AM
teedub21
Pole Position

Started last night and all I can say is this is a pretty amazing product. Did the drivers side of the windshield and it appears to have corrected the majority of th damage! I think after I complete the other side I'll repeat the process then move on to the rear window. Please people, for the love of God, stop using automatic car washes! I guess the average LS460 owner doesn't hand wash their cars.
Old 06-04-16, 10:18 AM
Chuckinnj
Advanced

Don't forget to seal the glass when you are done polishing.
BTW! X2....... A car wash is the worst thing for your paint!
Old 06-04-16, 01:43 PM
droclex
Pit Crew

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by teedub21
Started last night and all I can say is this is a pretty amazing product. Did the drivers side of the windshield and it appears to have corrected the majority of th damage! I think after I complete the other side I'll repeat the process then move on to the rear window. Please people, for the love of God, stop using automatic car washes! I guess the average LS460 owner doesn't hand wash their cars.

Glad to hear this! I just ordered the same product from autogeeks. Did you apply by hand or with a buffer? If it worked for you, I'm optimistic it can get the very fine scratches out of my '13's windshield. I don't expect the deeper ones to be affected much though..
Old 06-04-16, 01:44 PM
droclex
Pit Crew

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Chuckinnj
Don't forget to seal the glass when you are done polishing.
BTW! X2....... A car wash is the worst thing for your paint!
Any particular product you would recommend for sealing the glass? Thanks.
Old 06-04-16, 06:35 PM
Chuckinnj
Advanced

Originally Posted by droclex
Any particular product you would recommend for sealing the glass? Thanks.
I am sure there are other glass sealants out there but, Adams Glass Sealant (Adams Polishes) is what I use....... Plus it works great on my shower doors.
Old 06-04-16, 10:00 PM
teedub21
Pole Position

Originally Posted by droclex
Glad to hear this! I just ordered the same product from autogeeks. Did you apply by hand or with a buffer? If it worked for you, I'm optimistic it can get the very fine scratches out of my '13's windshield. I don't expect the deeper ones to be affected much though..
I used a Porter Cable DA polisher and bought the glass polishing pads for the buffer as well. Can't wait to get the rest of the windshield done and the back window as well, but it's 100 degrees for the next couple of days. Project will wait on cooler weather.

Quick Reply: Polishing windshield?