Hybrid Technology Unique topics related to the LS600h L model hybrid drivetrain and other features/options found only on the LS600h. Please use the main 4LS forum for discussion about shared components with other fourth generation LS models.

How many miles is too many for LS600HL

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-16, 06:41 AM
hfahmy
Advanced

Received 53 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by rld14
The drivetrain isn't the issue..... Everything else is.

I just took an 08 with 73K in on trade and I'm wholesaling it; need an air strut, front upper control arms, ML amp and I forget what else but it's uneconomic to repair and then sell.

This is an otherwise well maintained 1 owner car.

Meanwhile I saw one with 200K recently that was flawless.
So, to be clear all these issues are not unique to the 600. All these parts are common with the 460.

IMHO, hybrid battery(~$5K) is your highest risk. If you want to buy a high mileage car, make sure battery has been changed or price is low enough to allow you to change it soon after you buy it. Otherwise older models 600s are solid cars with lots of amenities to enjoy for fraction of the cost.
Old 05-26-16, 07:00 AM
superdenso
Instructor

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by lovelexus3
Hello everyone!

It has been a few years since I have posted. I joined when I had my 08 is250 awd, but now many cars later, and a couple of kids I am back looking at act Lexus.

I have been torn between rx 450h and ls600hl. I really am leaning towards the ls, but my price point for what I want to spend makes the available inventory over 100 miles.

I have seen some ls for sale that has 101k, 151k, and 181k miles.

How many miles is too many? Also, of course there are the kbb prices, but what is Isa realistic number I should pay when considering a ls with over 130k on the dash?

I have looked at the ls 460, but I am interested in the hybrid as I do a lot of mixed driving and like th e mpg better.

Please help with any suggestions or thoughts!

I have tried to find any threads which talked about this, but was unsuccessful.
The LS600 may not reward you with fuel savings. The 460 has been reported to yield 28+mpg at cruise, but the 600 owners haven't praised the mpgs of their units. By the numbers, the RX hits better mpgs.

http://www.motortrend.com/cars/lexus/ls460/2011/
LS 460, 460 L: 16 mpg city/23-24 mpg highway
LS 600h L: 20mpg city/22mpg highway
Old 05-26-16, 07:12 AM
litesoarer
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Even with exhaust modifications my 4LS regularly hits 27 to 28 miles per gallon on the highway at 75-80mph.
Old 05-26-16, 07:53 AM
rld14
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by hfahmy
So, to be clear all these issues are not unique to the 600. All these parts are common with the 460.

IMHO, hybrid battery(~$5K) is your highest risk. If you want to buy a high mileage car, make sure battery has been changed or price is low enough to allow you to change it soon after you buy it. Otherwise older models 600s are solid cars with lots of amenities to enjoy for fraction of the cost.
No, the 600 drivetrains are pretty much bulletproof. But 600s have the usual LS issues plus air suspension, ML amps, etc... Basically you need to do a careful pre purchase inspection on one.
Old 05-26-16, 08:12 AM
hfahmy
Advanced

Originally Posted by rld14
No, the 600 drivetrains are pretty much bulletproof. But 600s have the usual LS issues plus air suspension, ML amps, etc... Basically you need to do a careful pre purchase inspection on one.
air suspension and ML amps are also 460 issues (if equipped).

hybrid battery (not the drivetrain) is the biggest risk in high mileage 600s. Agree that drive train is bulletproof.

PPI is always a great idea.
Old 05-26-16, 10:39 AM
riknchar
Instructor

Received 227 Likes on 140 Posts

I've owned a 2008 LS600hL for the past 2 years, and have nothing but good things to say about the car. I purchased it as a CPO vehicle in June of 2014 with 58K miles. I paid $2K to extend the warranty for an additional 3 years, so I'm completely covered until June of 2020/125K miles (I only drive 8K miles per year).

I had the rear vibration TSP completed on the car at delivery (had some shuddering during low-speed turns, somewhat common on the AWD LSs), and the problem was 100% resolved.

As part of the CPO process, my car had all new front and rear brakes and rotors installed, both front air shocks and actuators replaced, and all 4 front upper control arms replaced. Both of the rear air ride shocks had been replaced at 48K miles. The car had the Valve Spring recall work completed early in its life.

My car did suffer somewhat from wind noise on windy days (like most 2007-2008 models), but I was able to fix that problem using instructions I found on this forum.

My only complaint is that the car has depreciated like mad since I bought it. I paid $43K, and I think trade-in value today is in the low-20K range. If I planned to only keep the car for 2 years, this would have really been upsetting. As it is, I plan to keep it for the full 6 years of warranty coverage, so the depreciation really doesn't matter much to me.

The only risk for my car is hybrid battery failure, but in the unlikely event that happens, I'll just bite the bullet and pay the $5k to have the batteries replaced. In the grand scheme of things, $5K is not that much to spend for maintaining this $110K (when new) luxury automobile.

My advice would be to not rule out an LS600hL. They truly are the "best of the best" that Lexus has to offer, but you do have to be very careful to find one that has already had the issues addressed, and be prepared for some potential maintenance costs (battery replacement/etc.). To me, it's way worth it, but other opinions will vary.
Old 05-26-16, 10:57 AM
R Z
Pole Position

Received 339 Likes on 259 Posts

Curious why you want the 600? The LS460 is an incredible car for much less money. You can find a decent mileage car for decent money. My 08 isn't an L, doesn't have the controls in the backseat, but I still smile every single day I push the start. There hasn't been one person who has been in my car, who is shocked when they ask me the year. It's just a great car!
Old 05-26-16, 04:59 PM
hfahmy
Advanced

Originally Posted by R Z
Curious why you want the 600? The LS460 is an incredible car for much less money. You can find a decent mileage car for decent money. My 08 isn't an L, doesn't have the controls in the backseat, but I still smile every single day I push the start. There hasn't been one person who has been in my car, who is shocked when they ask me the year. It's just a great car!
Great question!

Two years ago we wanted LWB because of the additional leg room in the back and more comfortable ride. Had two options LS600hl with 25K miles for $41K or LS460L with 50K miles for $35K. Ignoring difference in mileage, with 600 I get the following additional features:

1. Adaptive Cruise
2. PCS
3. Reclining back seats
4. Air conditioned back seats
5. Rear Side sunshades
6. Leather dash
7. LED headlights
8. Back Entertainment System
9. No diesel like idle knocking
10. Wood door entry handles
11. incredible launch power
12.more powerful engine
13. much smoother shifting (CVT)
14. Key Card
15. AWD

$6K for the above is justified investment :-)

Last edited by hfahmy; 05-26-16 at 08:21 PM.
Old 05-26-16, 06:13 PM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Received 505 Likes on 383 Posts

Great question!

Two years ago we wanted LWB because of the additional leg room in the back and more comfortable ride. Had two options LS600hl with 25K miles for $41K or LS460L with 50K miles for $35K. Ignoring difference in mileage, with 600 I get the following additional features:

1. Adaptive Cruise
2. PCS
3. Reclining back seats
4. Air conditioned back seats
5. Rear Side sunshades
6. Leather dash
7. LED headlights
8. Back Entertainment System
9. No diesel like idle knocking
10. Wood door entry handles
11. incredible launch power
12.more powerful engine
13. much smoother shifting (CVT)
14. Key Card

$6K for the above is justified investment :-)
Some of those things are VERY nice. But they come at a cost. Much smaller trunk, for one. Yes More power, but less performance since the car weighs a great deal more. With regards to the CVT transmission, that needs to be experienced by the driver. Some like it some hate it. I have a CVT in my other Lexus and hate it. I have a key card in my LS....thats not exclusive to the 600 Diesel knock? NEVER has anyone described my car sound as "diesel". What I do often get for comments is how quiet it is. Sometimes I cant even tell the engine is running. I've owned diesels...no comparison.

Would I still like to own a 600? Damn straight....but I'd have to get a good deal on it and be close to the same price as a 460. Your 6k figure isn't too bad.That said, since most of my driving is hwy, the better fuel economy of the non-hybrid 460 is probably better for me.
Old 05-26-16, 07:29 PM
lovelexus3
Driver

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Honestly, I have looked at the ls460 and since I am in PA and my job is in a plethra of hills I need the awd. There are some nice ls that I have seen, but it does not take the desire away from the 600.

Since the CPO is not an option for vehicles over 100k, I have looked into various warranties like AAA and warranty direct. Those seem to be two highly spoken of in some threads here.

Any recommendations? I test drove the rx, and was ready to put the security deposit to have a ppi done, but that itch came back for the 600.

I wonder how much would a warranty would really cover...
Old 05-26-16, 08:14 PM
hfahmy
Advanced

Originally Posted by lovelexus3
Honestly, I have looked at the ls460 and since I am in PA and my job is in a plethra of hills I need the awd. There are some nice ls that I have seen, but it does not take the desire away from the 600.

Since the CPO is not an option for vehicles over 100k, I have looked into various warranties like AAA and warranty direct. Those seem to be two highly spoken of in some threads here.

Any recommendations? I test drove the rx, and was ready to put the security deposit to have a ppi done, but that itch came back for the 600.

I wonder how much would a warranty would really cover...
Is the 600 you are looking at advertised somewhere? Folks here can help you form an opinion from carfax and Lexus records.
Old 05-26-16, 08:19 PM
hfahmy
Advanced

Originally Posted by roadfrog
Some of those things are VERY nice. But they come at a cost. Much smaller trunk, for one. Yes More power, but less performance since the car weighs a great deal more. With regards to the CVT transmission, that needs to be experienced by the driver. Some like it some hate it. I have a CVT in my other Lexus and hate it. I have a key card in my LS....thats not exclusive to the 600 Diesel knock? NEVER has anyone described my car sound as "diesel". What I do often get for comments is how quiet it is. Sometimes I cant even tell the engine is running. I've owned diesels...no comparison.

Would I still like to own a 600? Damn straight....but I'd have to get a good deal on it and be close to the same price as a 460. Your 6k figure isn't too bad.That said, since most of my driving is hwy, the better fuel economy of the non-hybrid 460 is probably better for me.
So I also have a 460l and like it as much it is cost vs. field of use tradeoff, both are great cars!
Old 05-27-16, 05:37 AM
superdenso
Instructor

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

Did you consider a RX450 and an LS460. A high mileage 460 and a RX450 may not be a bad idea. Further, you could lower the price point on a 460 by sourcing one without the nav. It was a necessity for me before I actually got it...now I feel a custom head unit would have been a bit cooler and easier to upgrade if I keep the car. Plus the hvac controls are in the nav display...
Old 05-27-16, 06:59 AM
R Z
Pole Position

Received 339 Likes on 259 Posts

Now I understand why I don't need a hybrid vehicle. (This is certainly tongue in cheek for the most part)

1. Adaptive Cruise I keep my eyes on the road and can brake when needed.
2. PCSPart of the AC, still I'm good with braking.
3. Reclining back seats Since I don't want my friends hanging around too much, they don't need any more comfort than already available in the back.
4. Air conditioned back seats See item 3.
5. Rear Side sunshades cheaper to have the windows tinted
6. Leather dashMine isn't leather???
7. LED headlights A cheap aftermarket install
8. Back Entertainment Systemagain, see item 3
9. No diesel like idle knockingNot quite sure what that means. My car is so quiet, I hear nothing outside.
10. Wood door entry handles I have nothing to say here.
11. incredible launch powerI'll consider you when I'm ready to visit the moon,
12.more powerful engineIf that's what I want, then I'm off to get a red ferrari.
13. much smoother shifting (CVT)If it's smoother than mine, well it must be one continuous speed .
14. Key CardThey are $210 on ebay.
15. AWD Pretty flat here in town and it rarely snows.
Old 05-27-16, 08:48 AM
Littleguy
Intermediate

Received 44 Likes on 32 Posts

Great question!

Two years ago we wanted LWB because of the additional leg room in the back and more comfortable ride. Had two options LS600hl with 25K miles for $41K or LS460L with 50K miles for $35K.
That LS460L + the HKS Supercharger would have been a great value for the same price, but Monday morning quarterbacking does no good, hahaha.

Quick Reply: How many miles is too many for LS600HL