LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Brake actuator service bulletin

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-16, 07:33 PM
sktn77a
Lead Lap

Received 292 Likes on 257 Posts
Default Brake actuator service bulletin

Got a notification from Lexus today that they are replacing the brake actuators in LS 460 models that have brake light faults/codes. Nothing about "clicking" brakes, though.
The following users liked this post:
steedls400 (07-19-18)
Old 05-23-16, 07:51 PM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Received 505 Likes on 383 Posts

Wouldn't it be nice of they expanded this campaign for noise too? Ya never know.
Old 05-23-16, 07:59 PM
dojom77
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I got one too. I am kind of excited and hoping that this brake actuator issue may solve my ongoing problem described in this thread:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls-...k-in-park.html
Old 05-24-16, 01:46 AM
Doublebase
Pole Position

Received 352 Likes on 243 Posts

So I'm confused, is this a recall for the brake actuator? Or simply a technical service bulletin?

You'd receive a letter for a recall, but you'd receive nothing for a technical service bulletin. Is it a recall with a stipulation? Like only bring it in for the recall if your dash light is on? Or is it not a recall at all?

If this is something Lexus will cover, that is HUGE because there is only two major defects on these cars...the control arms and the brake actuator. The control can easily be fixed by yourself or by an independent for a very reasonable price, but the brake actuator is still an expensive fix.
Old 05-24-16, 02:20 AM
1Putt
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by sktn77a
Got a notification from Lexus today that they are replacing the brake actuators in LS 460 models that have brake light faults/codes. Nothing about "clicking" brakes, though.
Would be nice if you could post up the notification you rec'd
Old 05-24-16, 02:45 AM
whitewater
Driver School Candidate

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Interesting. I just logged onto Lexus Drivers and checked my 2009 LS460L awd and mine is showing nothing.

Post up a photo of the TSB/notification. Would like to learn more and what years are included.
Old 05-24-16, 05:58 PM
sktn77a
Lead Lap

Received 292 Likes on 257 Posts

No, it's not a recall. Its a "warranty enhancement" - like the dash/door panel notification.
The following users liked this post:
steedls400 (07-19-18)
Old 05-24-16, 06:07 PM
whitewater
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by sktn77a
No, it's not a recall. Its a "warranty enhancement" - like the dash/door panel notification.
sorry not sure I understand. can you explain or point to where there i more info?

Thanks!
Old 05-24-16, 07:58 PM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Received 505 Likes on 383 Posts

Originally Posted by whitewater
sorry not sure I understand. can you explain or point to where there i more info?

Thanks!
A recall would mean that all owners of our vehicles would receive notice to take our cars for replacement of the affected part, or reimbursement for previous replacement of the affected part.

What this is, is a warranty enhancement. That means if someone is having an issue with the affected part, they can take their car to a dealer and have them assess the issue and have the part replaced (in this case, the brake actuator). This is similar to the warranty enhancement for the "melting" dashboards, et al). In other words, a case-by-case basis.
Old 05-24-16, 10:44 PM
Falbz
Pole Position

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

I got the same notice in the mail and it just extends warranty if you trigger brake light, abs, etc. Luckily I already had mine replaced under warranty for the popping noise.
Old 05-25-16, 02:15 AM
1Putt
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

In the "warranty enhancement" notices some of you have rec'd, did they specify a manufactured date range or model years ?
Just wondering if this applies to only certain years LS460 or not. Guess we'll see if we get a notice or not
Old 05-25-16, 03:06 AM
whitewater
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by roadfrog
A recall would mean that all owners of our vehicles would receive notice to take our cars for replacement of the affected part, or reimbursement for previous replacement of the affected part.

What this is, is a warranty enhancement. That means if someone is having an issue with the affected part, they can take their car to a dealer and have them assess the issue and have the part replaced (in this case, the brake actuator). This is similar to the warranty enhancement for the "melting" dashboards, et al). In other words, a case-by-case basis.

Got it. That makes sense. Appreciate it
Old 05-25-16, 03:51 AM
Rhambler
Lexus Test Driver

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Falbz
I got the same notice in the mail and it just extends warranty if you trigger brake light, abs, etc. Luckily I already had mine replaced under warranty for the popping noise.
Just curious, but did the clicking go away after you got yours serviced? Mine clicked the minute I drove it off the lot with 46 miles on the odometer.

Not sure if the solenoid noise is related in any way to the recall or if it is independent of it.
Old 05-25-16, 05:05 AM
sleeper416
Driver School Candidate

Default Brake Actuator Failure & slight front brakes grinding noise.

Recently I had all the lights on the dash instrument panel light up (see photo) and it turns out it was a Brake Actuator System Failure, which is a very expensive repair and 2009 LS 460 was out of warranty. I researched this and discovered this was a Toyota product system-wide failure on certain models. I contacted Lexus Corporate who asked me to visit the local dealership to confirm issues. Dealership did and Lexus Corp agreed to supply parts and I had to pay labor. Since it was a very expensive repair (close to $3K), I agreed. This was 6 months ago. During my most recent visit to the dealer, the service manager told me Lexus Corp would reimburse the labor I paid ($647) if I contacted them and supplied certain details. I just received the reimbursement. Taking responsibility for a manufacturing defect is an honorable way to do business. I also had a slight, but irritating front brake grinding after a recent brake job. Turned out requiring an adjustment - "Linear valve offset and reset ABS memory", which they did at no cost. My car has a bit over 75,400 miles.

Last edited by sleeper416; 05-25-16 at 05:07 AM. Reason: forgot photo
The following 3 users liked this post by sleeper416:
diamente (05-14-18), PANICiii (11-07-23), steedls400 (07-19-18)
Old 05-25-16, 05:09 AM
superdenso
Instructor

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

Two years ago a service writer told me to deal with the faint-clicking noise unless there is some malfunction. I think that was sound advice.

Quick Reply: Brake actuator service bulletin