LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Vibration at high speed, tires & occasional rattle

Old 05-24-16, 06:13 PM
UZ214
Pole Position

Received 221 Likes on 163 Posts

Aggressive thread on tires will vibrate the car- maybe not right away but when they are little worn out, after you have 10-15 k on them. They are little harder to balance as well- I used to hang out at a car shop where they used to sell wheels and tires and seen the installers struggling with balancing them.

The more the gap in the tires thread the more vibration. My Lx570 had Yokohama at first they were great but after a year i could feel the shake (passenger seat would vibrate too) when no one is sitting on it) drove me nuts- Had them forced balanced , vibration went down 90%, same issue after few months- They became nosiy as well. Changed tires problem gone.

Same thing happened with my GS400 i think i had dunlops

Now this is about 10 years ago.

I saw the Pirellis thread and see people are happy but myself i just ordered Michelins for the ls460

I tend to shy away myself from tires with aggressive or funny looking tread patterns

Originally Posted by SW15LS
I agree with him the issue is tires. I've had this issue with sets of tires

before on various Lexus vehicles. New tires always solved the issue.

As to his comment about the Pirellis. I'm sure the fact that Lexus dealers don't sell Pirelli tires has nothing to do with his suggestion that they're a bad fit for the LS lol.

I've had several Lexus LS models and these tires are a great fit for the car. He's totally full of poop.
Old 05-24-16, 06:32 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,497 Likes on 1,800 Posts

What's aggressive about the Pirellis tread?!?
Old 05-24-16, 09:53 PM
UZ214
Pole Position

Received 221 Likes on 163 Posts

maybe i made a mistake looking at which Pirellis folks put on but the gaps in the thread is what i was talking about, I tend to shy away from tires which have more wider gaps = vibrations.

having said that the CINTURATO do look pretty good

I understand it probably helps is channeling out the water

What's aggressive about the Pirellis tread?!?

Last edited by UZ214; 01-13-19 at 03:15 PM.
Old 05-25-16, 07:56 AM
CRowe14
Lexus Test Driver

Received 64 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by roadfrog
I'm just glad to see you back and that you're OK and not MIA. I really don't care about your tire issue!
HA!! I feel the love Chris, I feel the love!

Originally Posted by caha14
Hi CRowe, a bit late here, but a couple thoughts...

By and large, I agree with what has been said. I will add that beyond wheel diameter/tire profile considerations, which do make the ride particularly sensitive to any out-of-round-tire issues (especially under load, where road-force comes in), the LS460 is in a league of its own. While 15 pounds of RFV isn't a bad number at all, the unofficial spec for the LS is 10 pounds, and believe me, it makes a huge difference.

From this perspective, I have (personally) had very positive experience with Michelin touring/grand touring tires "working out of the box", if you will, though on occasion, there's been a single tire that's required multiple tries. On the other hand, every time I've left Michelin (or tried anything other than touring tires), I've had RFV issues of one way or another. For instance, Michelin Pilot Sports were horrible on my '08 460L, though (to be fair), there have been revisions since to that product line. Ditto for Continentals...

Personally, when I decide to get rid of the Falken summer tires I have (don't ask... this is what the selling dealer put on my car ), it's most likely that I will try the Pirelli P7 Cinturatos, as the research and experiences on here are very encouraging (it's also nice-looking, to boot). My dealer knows how sensitive I am to vibrations, so it will all be subject to how they measure up on road force, but again, very promising and worth a try, IMHO.
Never too late and I always appreciate well informed and composed feedback. So far Im thinking that the P7+'s will be the way to go.

I agree with him the issue is tires. I've had this issue with sets of tires before on various Lexus vehicles. New tires always solved the issue.

As to his comment about the Pirellis. I'm sure the fact that Lexus dealers don't sell Pirelli tires has nothing to do with his suggestion that they're a bad fit for the LS lol.

I've had several Lexus LS models and these tires are a great fit for the car. He's totally full of poop.
This served as a catalyst for a good morning laugh! This SAM is an ok guy, and I say that with a touch is cynicism. He acts and speaks as if his word is the literal golden law as it relates to Lexus. I take what he says with a grain of salt and perform further research on my own, and actually poll people who actually own the car/tires. If I took him too seriously, I would feel insulted that he actually thinks that everything he tells me, im to receive as gospel. Im not sure if there is a part on a car who's platform of selection can vary as widely as a tire. Many makes and models to choose from.
I failed to mention his comparison he made to me referencing "cheaper" tires vs higher prices tires (you get what you pay for):
"If you buy a pair of basketball sneakers to actually play in, you want a pair that has good, soft rubber and that will last. So you don't go to K-Mart and buy you sneakers, you go to a place that is known for selling a good quality sneaker. And yes, it'll cost more, but it'll perform and protect you. Its the same thing with a tire".

Originally Posted by UZ214
maybe i made a mistake looking at which Pirellis folks put on but the gaps in the thread is what i was talking about, I tend to shy away from tires which have more wider gaps = vibrations.

having said that the CINTURATO do look pretty good

I understand it probably helps is channeling out the water
I was going to say (before you posted the photos), I had taken a look at the P7+'s along side the Michelins and the pattern on the Pirellis didn't appear to be that different. Actually, the tread pattern on the Pirellis appears to be less aggressive than the Michelins in the photo as well as some of the Michelin Touring and Latitude models.
The only tire that seems to "look" more cohesive tread-wise and I can attest to how well it performs, is the MXV4, though when they get down in the life cycle, they're pretty loud., and ride smoothness definitely dissipates.
Old 05-25-16, 09:34 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,497 Likes on 1,800 Posts

Yeah the tread pattern is very similar to my previous go to quiet tire, the Primacy MXV4...