LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

'13 vs '12 opinions

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-16, 04:23 PM
UZ214
Pole Position

Received 221 Likes on 163 Posts

They ride any better (F sport)? , i got my wife Rx350 f sport, the ride flat out is horrible- hard suspension with 19 sport tires do not help. Reminds of ISF (feel little every bump).

Originally Posted by litesoarer
My next upgrade will be to a '13+ F-Sport.

Perhaps 3 years from now.
Old 05-17-16, 06:13 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,519 Likes on 1,817 Posts

The LS460 is quieter than the S Class by the numbers. Edmunds dB tests all their cars and the LS460 has the lowest dB at 70MPH cruise you will find.

LS460:

S550:

Just for giggles, Rolls Royce Phantom:

In short, its a very quiet car. The 2013 vs the 2012 if anything the newer cars are quieter.

Now, compared to your LS430 there are some differences. The engine is a little louder at idle because of the direct injection and the timing chain vs the timing belt.

I'm 100% satisfied with my LS460, wouldn't trade it for my LS430 back.
Old 05-17-16, 06:13 PM
litesoarer
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

AVS (Air suspension) is standard on 10-12 'Sport, as well as on 13+ F-Sport
Old 05-17-16, 07:09 PM
jrmckinley
Pole Position

Received 336 Likes on 229 Posts

LMAO about the 2 kids comment. I have twin 4 year olds...does lexus make anything longer than the L? it would be nice to not have my seat kicked on a daily basis during one of their 6 temper tantrums in the car...

in all seriousness, the extra 5 inches of legroom would be nice for the kids, especially as they get a little older- not being able to kick the seats for now and once out of booster seats having fun reclining the seats, etc. i just looked at the overall length of an L and it is approx 9 inches longer than my LX570. yikes. i have a 3 car tandem garage right now so it wouldn't be an issue, but that's a long car.

Originally Posted by UZ214
The L ones are usually fully loaded, i got the regular base one- i thought it had mark levison until i realized it didn't- real rookie mistake. The L ones usually have the air ride which is good to have as well the 13+ L ones usually have the 3 projectors headlight/leds which looks nice. I can use the extra 3 inches since i carry two very annoying little kids. Most of the time they are talking fighting, crying or all at once (4 & 5) yrs old boys. So i can certainly use the distance lol away from the my ears.

when i was looking i didnt find any dark color L ones - wanted black actually so i settled, i knew i would upgrade in 2/3 years to L version and hopefully my boys are little more relaxed by then.

Off course there is nothing wrong with the normal ones, they probably handle little better.

Either way they are good dependable cars and they look good too.
Old 05-17-16, 07:16 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by jrmckinley
I have twin 4 year olds
I have 15 month old twins myself!
Old 05-17-16, 07:28 PM
jrmckinley
Pole Position

Received 336 Likes on 229 Posts

congrats! not sure if this will be the case for you, but the stretch from 15-24 months was the hardest on us. the kids were literally running different directions, climbing up everything, getting into everything... we couldn't leave them unsupervised for more than 10 seconds. it gets better and easier just before they turn 3- but you'll have tantrums starting soon (18-21 months) and mine haven't ended yet at four...

they're a ton of fun though with a really cool bond. i can see the light at the end of the tunnel where things will be easier. and before i know it they won't want to hang around dad...so i'm enjoying the ride. cheers,

Originally Posted by SW15LS
Old 05-17-16, 08:03 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Yeah I can certainly see that! They are a handful right now!

They don't ride in the Lexus either so can't help ya with insight there lol
Old 05-18-16, 08:21 AM
droclex
Pit Crew

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

I am kicking tires- have an '04 LS and looking to upgrade. I absolutely love the interior changes on the '13 compared to the prior generation, but after reading through 10 pages of reviews here, stumbled on a thread of someone who bought a '13 or '14 and hates it- saying it is louder (esp on highway) than the '05 or '06 he had. I am 50/50 on what I prefer exterior styling on the '12 vs the '13- i like the front better on the '13, but don't like any of the rims and feel like that makes the car look so different (i love the 5 star rims on the '10-'12). if i buy a '13 i am going to put those '12 5 star rims on it. i'm indifferent on the rear tail lights between the 2 generations.

So here's my question. When comparing the 2 generations, other than styling (which is subjective) what would tip you in one direction or the other between the '13 and the '12/'11/'10? My only requirements for the next LS are Mark Levinson , bluetooth and push start- anything beyond that is a bonus that I likely won't appreciate too much. I'm looking for the silky, quiet ride and insane reliability I have enjoyed on my '96 and my '04 - I do a ton of highway driving and want to be really comfortable.

I appreciate any opinions.
Test drove multiple 11's and 12's before choosing my '13. The '13 swb awd felt/feels slightly more responsive in terms of acceleration and steering. It's also a smidge quieter and smoother, IMO. The design and layout of the '13's interior, also IMO, feels more "current" with the larger screen and what seems like faster input response times. I also prefer the look and feel of the newer shifter ****; comes across as more "premium" to me. Seat comfort is about the same and build quality is impeccable on both models. Spindle grille is subjective, as you noted, (I like it on the LS) but I feel that the profile and rear of the '13+ is more refined and cohesive in appearance. Not quite as bland, I guess you can say, though I don't want to make it sound as though I'm knocking the 12; it's lovely in its own right.

But if the big leap in price from a 12 to a 13+ turns you off, you really can't go wrong with the pre-refresh. Maybe with the exception of infotainment, these are not monumental differences. I was very lucky to find my '13 CPO for a great price with 39k miles, so all things being equal I will take the newest option I can get. Having researched it for almost 3 years, I also feel that it really is a wonderful, special car that really seems to hold its value and keep owners satisfied. And unlike so many other vehicles out there, I think it is worthy of keeping for a very long time. If possible, I would try to find one (12 or 13) with under 45k miles and do all the requisite inspecting/examining, etc..

Happy hunting to you and best of luck finding the right one!

Last edited by droclex; 05-18-16 at 08:34 AM.
Old 05-18-16, 09:38 AM
rld14
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Some people have mentioned equipment on the L...

Here in AWD Land, these cars basically exist built one of 2 ways for all intents and purposes:

Standard AWD: Equipped as follows: These guys stickered in the upper $78s.

F BM Blind Spot Monitor w/Rear Cross Traffic Alert
F CP Comfort Package: Climate-comfort front seats, Power rear sunshade, One touch power trunk open/close, Heated outboard rear seats

Standard LWB: These are all equipped as follows: Original MSRP on these was in the low $88s

F BM Blind Spot Monitor w/Rear Cross Traffic Alert
F FT 19" 15-spoke alloy wheels with alll-season tires
F IL LED Headlamps w/intelligent high-beams & washers
F LU Semi-Aniline Leather Trim Interior and Alcantara Headliner Upgrade
F ML Mark Levinson 19-spkr w/Single DVD/CD player
F WT Heated Wood Steering Wheel w/Leather Center Pad

On both models you'll see option codes for the type of wood trim that they have but it's not something that affects the price.

So the above builds cover probably... 90+++% of the cars out there in the northeast and upper midwest.

I haven't had a 13 or 14 come in off lease that differs from the above spec in 6 months. I did just get my grubby little mitts on a loaded Ultra Luxury but it was originally a special order car.
Old 05-18-16, 10:20 AM
comotiger
Pole Position

Received 292 Likes on 251 Posts

Originally Posted by rld14
Some people have mentioned equipment on the L...

Here in AWD Land, these cars basically exist built one of 2 ways for all intents and purposes:

I haven't had a 13 or 14 come in off lease that differs from the above spec in 6 months. I did just get my grubby little mitts on a loaded Ultra Luxury but it was originally a special order car.
Hey rld, great to hear from you. I posted on another thread about this car on cars.com hoping you would comment. But this is perfect!

Could the car that you just got your mitts on be this one? I think it is a great deal!! What you say??

https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/d...idq000azq032od

I wish I had waited....
Old 05-18-16, 10:27 AM
jasone36
Instructor

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Great input, RLD.

Additional and highly detailed 2013 model info is here:

https://lexusenthusiast.com/2012/08/...us-ls-preview/
Old 05-18-16, 10:38 AM
UZ214
Pole Position

Having owned the Lx470 and lx570 for last few years, its not really kids friendly, but the tailgate was mostly used as a diaper changing table on the go. But it an awesome SUV i loved that truck. i picked up a 3rd car brand new highlander limited i think in 2012 for daily driver so i can haul them easily ended up selling it in 6 months - I refuse to buy a mini van.

For the LS i have seat protectors under car seats and also behind mine and drivers seat + emergency puke cleaning kit in the trunk (hasn't happened in LS yet but they have managed to vomit in every car i have owned)-

Its weird you are clean car freak then you get kids ...

LMAO about the 2 kids comment. I have twin 4 year olds...does lexus make anything longer than the L? it would be nice to not have my seat kicked on a daily basis during one of their 6 temper tantrums in the car...

in all seriousness, the extra 5 inches of legroom would be nice for the kids, especially as they get a little older- not being able to kick the seats for now and once out of booster seats having fun reclining the seats, etc. i just looked at the overall length of an L and it is approx 9 inches longer than my LX570. yikes. i have a 3 car tandem garage right now so it wouldn't be an issue, but that's a long car.
Old 05-18-16, 10:41 AM
UZ214
Pole Position

Awesome, mine aren't twins but they sure look and act like it , only one is shorter..

Originally Posted by SW15LS
Old 05-18-16, 12:10 PM
rld14
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by comotiger
Hey rld, great to hear from you. I posted on another thread about this car on cars.com hoping you would comment. But this is perfect!

Could the car that you just got your mitts on be this one? I think it is a great deal!! What you say??

https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/d...idq000azq032od

I wish I had waited....
Mmmmaybe......

Funny story on that one.... I bought it on dealer direct like the second they listed it (Hey, it's an Ultra Lux, they're RARE) and I probably paid up a bit for it. So OK, I have to paint both bumpers and the LF fender has a scratch I have to fix but this is the NYC area and most of these cars have scuffed bumpers..etc. Overall it's a nice car and as we all know, ULs don't fall from the sky.

Originally it was a special order car. Special order for the head of a big dealer group that owns 3 Lexus stores

Didn't see the other thread tho?
Old 05-18-16, 08:48 PM
comotiger
Pole Position

Received 292 Likes on 251 Posts

Originally Posted by rld14
Mmmmaybe......

Funny story on that one.... I bought it on dealer direct like the second they listed it (Hey, it's an Ultra Lux, they're RARE) and I probably paid up a bit for it. So OK, I have to paint both bumpers and the LF fender has a scratch I have to fix but this is the NYC area and most of these cars have scuffed bumpers..etc. Overall it's a nice car and as we all know, ULs don't fall from the sky.

Originally it was a special order car. Special order for the head of a big dealer group that owns 3 Lexus stores

Didn't see the other thread tho?
Ha ha, I see that you priced the car at 56K, right in the range we discussed recently on another thread. I am still amazed that this car has less than 20K miles on it. Why did you decide to not CPO it? For the reasons detailed above? Either way, it won't stay on the lot very long. Looking forward to seeing the pics.
Never mind, I just checked again and noticed that the vehicle is listed as CPO. Yesterday, it said used. Wow, CPOd 2013 UltraLux, 20K miles, for 56K? That's a really great deal! Someone's going to be very happy!

At the end of Feb, I saw a used/CPO (not sure which) Obsidian/Flaxen Ultra Lux, low miles listed by Maplewood Lexus (MN). It was listed on cars.com for exactly one day!

RLD, please tell me one thing, if this car had been a 2014 instead, all other things being equal, what would be the markup over the 2013? Other than some software upgrades, was there any other difference between these model years?

Last edited by comotiger; 05-18-16 at 09:54 PM.

Quick Reply: '13 vs '12 opinions