LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Engine Idled for 6 Hours - Caused Damage?

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-16, 07:17 PM
jasone36
Instructor

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
Default Engine Idled for 6 Hours - Caused Damage?

Hello everyone,

Due to a string of bizarre circumstances, I accidentally left the engine running (idling) for 6 hours on my low-mileage 2013 LS460.

Also, just before leaving the car, I set the climate control system to "OFF"... so no air was blowing inside the car.

As soon as I realized that I left it idling, I ran to check the temperature gauge and it looked normal.

I drove the car for a few miles afterwards and it drove fine... although it was certainly hot to touch in most places. Luckily, today was a rather cool day (highs in the mid 60s).

I'm wondering, did I cause engine damage?

About 500 miles ago I had an oil change at the dealer. In light of this event, should I get another oil change?

Any insight would be appreciated.

Thank you
Old 05-16-16, 07:24 PM
Rhambler
Lexus Test Driver

Wow, I thought our cars had an auto-shutoff unless you left your keys in there. What on earth made you forget about your car running?

Other than wasting a lot of gas, taking some life off of your battery and possibly just wearing it out for six hour worth of the engine running without actually going anywhere, you're probably ok. Long idles are never healthy. But, if your car seems fine, I wouldn't worry too much. Just maybe get your oil changed sooner than when your car tells you too as this would fall under the taxi/police long idle footnote in most service/user manuals lol.
Old 05-16-16, 07:25 PM
litesoarer
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I really doubt it.

Certainly your car is broken in by now, 3-4yrs later.
Old 05-16-16, 07:34 PM
7milesout
Advanced

Received 78 Likes on 62 Posts

Yeah, I'd say you're OK. Probably didn't hurt a thing. I'm about as scatter-brained as a person can be. I can see me doing this one day too. It doesn't take much to distract me. Hence the statement below.

On some big rig diesel engines, and even my 5.9L diesel engine (heck maybe all diesels for all I know) they can have problems from idling (like at 800 rpm or lower) for that long. The combustion temperatures slowly decrease while it idles. Down to a point to where not all of the fuel actual ignites. A small portion doesn't. After a while it builds up and works it's way past the rings and into the crankcase, polluting the oil with diesel fuel. That's called "washdown." That's why you may hear trucks idling (like at a truckstop), up to maybe 1,200 rpm or so, to keep the combustion temps up to prevent washdown.
Old 05-16-16, 10:03 PM
retlex
Rookie

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I am a retired CHP of 30 years. I have sat in my patrol car for an entire shift and then into overtime idling at emergency incidents, i.e. fires, shootings, fatalities, etc. I’ve driven the Dodges, Mustangs, Crown Vics and the Chev Impala. Aside from getting small breaks, the car would idle for 10-12 hours, seriously. I would take the car back to the office and then someone else would take it out. These cars were not babied and were driven wide open. I was always amazed how these engines could take the punishment as they increased in mileage. They were retired at 75k. The most wear and tear was on the transmission, suspension and brakes.

The Lexus is a superior vehicle and a well built machine-you should be just fine. If it were me, I would certainly change the oil as previously suggested. Small cost for peace of mind.
Old 05-17-16, 01:36 AM
Doublebase
Pole Position

Received 352 Likes on 243 Posts

It was probably a little taxing on your cooling system, but I doubt you did any damage. Police cars idle all day long, taxis never take a break (although at least they're moving). Sometimes limos sit there idling for hours and hours on end without moving. If the weather wasn't too warm...and you didn't have your air conditioner on?? I really wouldn't worry about it. Perhaps you could change your oil just to make you feel better, but even then I don't think it's necessary...maybe just check the oil and coolant levels.
Old 05-17-16, 02:21 AM
Aron9000
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

Don't worry about it, unless you left it idling in your garage with the door closed
Old 05-17-16, 06:15 AM
greg3852
Lexus Test Driver

Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by retlex
I am a retired CHP of 30 years. I have sat in my patrol car for an entire shift and then into overtime idling at emergency incidents, i.e. fires, shootings, fatalities, etc. I’ve driven the Dodges, Mustangs, Crown Vics and the Chev Impala. Aside from getting small breaks, the car would idle for 10-12 hours, seriously. I would take the car back to the office and then someone else would take it out. These cars were not babied and were driven wide open. I was always amazed how these engines could take the punishment as they increased in mileage. They were retired at 75k. The most wear and tear was on the transmission, suspension and brakes.

The Lexus is a superior vehicle and a well built machine-you should be just fine. If it were me, I would certainly change the oil as previously suggested. Small cost for peace of mind.
75k? That's brand new around here. Our front line spares have over 200K on them. Some approaching 300k.

Idling is not going to hurt the car. It's fine. Hell my wife left her Nissan running overnight with the keys in it about a month ago. Good thing I live in a nice neighborhood.
Old 05-17-16, 07:16 AM
Kennyr44
Lead Lap

Received 59 Likes on 49 Posts

It's something to write about I guess but really? Cars idle in traffic a zillion hrs.
Old 05-17-16, 07:17 AM
Chuckinnj
Advanced

Received 76 Likes on 59 Posts

6 hours idling is nothing to worry about especially on these engines........... The car has synthetic oil and it was changed recently so I would not worry about it. HOWEVER if you are loosing sleep over it, get it changed.
I have had early 1970 Chevy work vans (with Dino Oil) that use to idle all day and some of these vans had over 80k. miles on them.
Old 05-17-16, 07:20 AM
coolsaber
Lead Lap

Received 275 Likes on 246 Posts

Nothing has happened LOL. Its a vehicle engine not your lawn mower.
Old 05-17-16, 07:31 AM
caha14
Racer

Received 74 Likes on 58 Posts
Default An additional perspective/frame of reference...

I echo what others have said: nothing to worry about. However, in case it helps, here's a quick, somewhat basic calculation.

If your car idles at 800 rpm (it's probably a hair lower, but let's be conservative), after 6 hours, the engine now has turned an additional 288,000 revolutions.

Now, imagine driving at 70 mph, which on the LS is equivalent to roughly 1,750 rpm.

At 1,750 rpm, it takes about 2 hours 45 minutes (2.7429 hours, if you care for more precision) to turn 288,000 revolutions. At 70 mph, you will have traveled 192 miles in that time.

Again, this is simple, but if anything, gives you a "worst case" mileage equivalent. Bear in mind that there was little load on your engine vis-a-vis when actually driving a couple hundred miles.
Old 05-17-16, 07:38 AM
jasone36
Instructor

Thanks for all the feedback, folks. I really appreciate it.

And yes, the AC was off... as a matter of fact the entire climate control system was set to "OFF" before I left it running for 6 hours.., so definitely the AC compressor wasn't taxed.

I really wish the engine would automatically get cutoff (after a while) when the key transponder is not in the car... because clearly you're not going anywhere... but it doesn't in the 2013.

Originally Posted by Rhambler
What on earth made you forget about your car running?
What happened is a "first world problem". Let me describe...

I have two Lexus's.

One LS and one SC.

So I thought I may have left the engine running... so then I asked someone "can you make sure the Lexus isn't running"... and they checked the WRONG LEXUS...

...the SC was off, but the LS was running LOL

Like I said, first world problems
Old 05-17-16, 08:13 AM
jmcraney

Received 254 Likes on 194 Posts

Originally Posted by jasone36
Thanks for all the feedback, folks. I really appreciate it.

And yes, the AC was off... as a matter of fact the entire climate control system was set to "OFF" before I left it running for 6 hours.., so definitely the AC compressor wasn't taxed.

I really wish the engine would automatically get cutoff (after a while) when the key transponder is not in the car... because clearly you're not going anywhere... but it doesn't in the 2013.
I think the "automatic cutoff" is getting some attention at NHTSA and we may see that feature on all new US cars soon.

Your car is equipped with a warning feature that gives an audible alert when the wireless key is taken away from the car while the ignition is on.

I am curious to know if your car failed to give that warning. It is possible that you didn't hear it because of background noise. And, it is possible you heard it but chose to ignore it because you didn't understand what it meant. Your feedback would be helpful to many of us.

Events like yours are just some wasted gasoline when they happen in well ventilated parking garages. However, when they happen in the closed garage of you home, they can be fatal and/or result in the destruction of your home.

Thank you for relating your experience to us - it happens more frequently than most of us realize.
Old 05-17-16, 09:04 AM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Received 505 Likes on 383 Posts

Not a single thing to worry about. Relax! If it were in your garage then I'd be concerned about carbon monoxide, but as far as enginr damage? Absolutely not.

Quick Reply: Engine Idled for 6 Hours - Caused Damage?