LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Farewell, long LWB. You were good to me.

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-16, 08:53 AM
AznRacer
Lexus Test Driver

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

My goodness! Glad you and your family are okay.
Old 05-12-16, 12:28 PM
7milesout
Advanced

Received 78 Likes on 62 Posts

slaapen - Glad you and anyone you have had in there came out of it OK. I'm curious though, what happened to the L on the back of you car? The 460 L. The 460 is there, but no L. Did it get knocked off too? I wouldn't be surprised.

roadfrog - I wish they would take it serious here in the states. I see it multiple times, every single time I go somewhere. They sit still when the light turns green, they weave, they crash. Dangerous as can be. The other day, I just had this feeling that this lady in front of me wasn't safe to follow. So I changed to the slow lane. No sooner than I did, she fairly aggressively jams the brakes (noone for a bloody mile in front of her). As I look at her when I pass, she was nose down in her phone. I would love to see driver's doing that get a $500 fine.
Old 05-12-16, 01:46 PM
litesoarer
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by 7milesout
slaapen - Glad you and anyone you have had in there came out of it OK. I'm curious though, what happened to the L on the back of you car? The 460 L. The 460 is there, but no L. Did it get knocked off too? I wouldn't be surprised.

roadfrog - I wish they would take it serious here in the states. I see it multiple times, every single time I go somewhere. They sit still when the light turns green, they weave, they crash. Dangerous as can be. The other day, I just had this feeling that this lady in front of me wasn't safe to follow. So I changed to the slow lane. No sooner than I did, she fairly aggressively jams the brakes (noone for a bloody mile in front of her). As I look at her when I pass, she was nose down in her phone. I would love to see driver's doing that get a $500 fine.
More government intrusion and ever increasing erosion of civil rights is not the answer.

You wanna make it so people stop talking and texting? Let the insurance companies introduce a rider for such an occasion ($50+/mo) If the accident is a deemed a result of distracted driving due to texting then the insurance won't cover the party at fault (like base liability insurance) without the rider.
Old 05-12-16, 07:11 PM
whitewater
Driver School Candidate

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

does not look like any airbags deployed. interesting.

Glad you were/are ok. Sorry about your car.
Old 05-13-16, 01:34 AM
CJITTY

Received 146 Likes on 109 Posts

Glad you are ok. The LS took that like a champ tho..wow
Old 05-13-16, 04:35 AM
mrsteve7
Driver

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by litesoarer
More government intrusion and ever increasing erosion of civil rights is not the answer.

You wanna make it so people stop talking and texting? Let the insurance companies introduce a rider for such an occasion ($50+/mo) If the accident is a deemed a result of distracted driving due to texting then the insurance won't cover the party at fault (like base liability insurance) without the rider.
It's a safety issue, not a civil issue. Seatbelts are mandated by law for a reason (I assume in most states if not all), as are laws regarding the consumption of alcohol and driving which, in addition to distracted cell phone use, can impair the driver. An insurance rider requires burden of proof to enforce; is there a definitive method for determining fault in this scenario? And what cell-phone toting kid behind the wheel is going to have an insurance rider on his/her mind? Make it a law and it's got a far batter chance of changing things.

Last edited by mrsteve7; 05-13-16 at 06:46 AM. Reason: To clarify
Old 05-13-16, 08:22 AM
litesoarer
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by mrsteve7
It's a safety issue, not a civil issue. Seatbelts are mandated by law for a reason (I assume in most states if not all), as are laws regarding the consumption of alcohol and driving which, in addition to distracted cell phone use, can impair the driver. An insurance rider requires burden of proof to enforce; is there a definitive method for determining fault in this scenario? And what cell-phone toting kid behind the wheel is going to have an insurance rider on his/her mind? Make it a law and it's got a far batter chance of changing things.
I think you underestimate the amount of people that will just lay down and pay the fine. ($200-500)

They'll **** and moan about it but they'll pay it, and once the sting wears off they'll just do it again.

The first time you gotta pay $10,000+ to fix your car after an accident because of your choice to let a personal device distract you is the last time you'll make that choice.
Old 05-13-16, 10:17 AM
mrsteve7
Driver

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

I think you underestimate the amount of people that will just lay down and pay the fine. ($200-500)

They'll **** and moan about it but they'll pay it, and once the sting wears off they'll just do it again.

The first time you gotta pay $10,000+ to fix your car after an accident because of your choice to let a personal device distract you is the last time you'll make that choice.
You account for the risk of a fine only when an accident occurs, and ignore the fact that anyone at anytime could be fined for cell phone use behind the wheel. Therein lies the deterrent. And quite honestly, I'm also in favor for what you propose, on top of the previously mentioned.
Old 05-14-16, 12:43 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,520 Likes on 1,818 Posts

Originally Posted by whitewater
does not look like any airbags deployed. interesting.
Airbags don't deploy when a car is rear ended, they wouldn't do anything.

You have a higher opinion of insurance companies than I do. I am not in favor of giving insurance companies any additional means to deny claims or refuse coverage. They exploit every avenue they have to cheat their customers out of their benefits now.

The only solution to this is autonomous cars. People are becoming more and more attached to their devices, and laws against it and fines aren't going to make a big impact I agree.
Old 05-14-16, 06:47 PM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Received 505 Likes on 383 Posts

Well, here in Canada, most jurisdictions are going to 1000 dollar fines for distracted driving, then loss of drivers licence afterwards. Time will tell if it works or not, but personally, a 1000 dollar penalty would be a deterent. If not that, the risk to lose my DL would be.
Old 05-14-16, 09:52 PM
litesoarer
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by roadfrog
Well, here in Canada, most jurisdictions are going to 1000 dollar fines for distracted driving, then loss of drivers licence afterwards. Time will tell if it works or not, but personally, a 1000 dollar penalty would be a deterent. If not that, the risk to lose my DL would be.
You could duck the fine and drive without a license, too.
Old 05-14-16, 10:11 PM
dlbuckls10
Racer

Received 96 Likes on 80 Posts

So true. I know several people who drives with suspended license, unpaid fines and no insurance. Just like texting, they take that risk and don't seem to care.
Old 05-15-16, 10:55 AM
islandbeef
Racer

Received 62 Likes on 38 Posts

Glad to hear you're okay. They should make commercials out of accidents like this (like Volvo, Saab, Subaru) and sell more LS's.
Old 09-02-16, 10:55 AM
samj601
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That looks scary. Glad you're ok. I was also in a collision a week ago. I was t-boned from the passenger side. The other driver came flying out of the wrong end of a one-way street. My friend was actually trapped and the door had to be cut to get him out. Luckily, we all walked away with only minor injuries. The medics said the same thing to me: had we been in a smaller car, we may not have been as fortunate. It was a great car while it lasted.