LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

General questions from new owner...

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-16, 12:24 PM
integr8d
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default General questions from new owner...

Sup boys. New owner of a 2012 AWD SWB w/ very low miles. Car is cherry and well-loaded. Have no current intentions of modding (with the exception of maybe HKS S/C someday; car is still L-certified till' end of 2017).

I've done a fair amount of research but still have some ?'s...

Air Suspension - Anything to worry about there? Avg. lifespan?

CA bushings - I've read one post where someone said anecdotally that the issue was fixed in 11'. Can anyone confirm? Was there a press release?

AWD system - Any concerns?

ML Stereo - Is the amp an issue?

Rear seats heaters/vents - Probably not get much use. But I figure the fronts have been built for regular use. Just wondering if the rears flake out.

Engine - Seems bulletproof. But I've read that it switches from port FI to DI, depending on engine speed. Pretty seamless? Nothing to worry about?

Anything I'm missing, outside of regular maintenance?

Thx fellas.
Old 05-08-16, 01:11 PM
Littleguy
Intermediate

Received 44 Likes on 32 Posts

My only complaint about the engine in this car and many modern cars is that the DI makes them sound like tractors or old diesel cars when they are idling. Mechanically the engines are pretty bulletproof, congratulations on your purchase! Post some pics, we all want to see it, hahaha.
Old 05-08-16, 01:50 PM
Doublebase
Pole Position

Received 352 Likes on 243 Posts

I don't think your going to have any problems with the fuel delivery, I haven't heard of anything.

The control arms may fail, but it's usually around 80,000 plus miles, and there are aftermarket control arms readily available if you choose to go that route.

I haven't heard of any heated seat failures on these cars...front or back.

The air ride will eventually fail - just like all air rides - it depends on the type of driving you do.

The have been reports of amp failures.

There have been reports of a vibration issue with AWD models, I believe there's a technical service bulletin for it.

Other than that they're pretty bullet proof - the control arms are no bid deal at all - I honestly think it's the single most overblown thing I've ever seen. There have been brake actuator failures, that to me is more serious/costly, because there aren't a lot of aftermarket parts for that item (the best I can find is used u its for $700-$1000 on eBay). Otherwise Lexus will nail you for a couple grand.

Of course none of the big ticket items should be of concern, you have the extended warranty, but even if you didn't...none of it would probably be a concern anyway. I've driven mine 125,000 miles and all I've replaced is a wheel bearing and some control arms. Total cost $700.
Old 05-08-16, 03:11 PM
litesoarer
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by integr8d
Sup boys. New owner of a 2012 AWD SWB w/ very low miles. Car is cherry and well-loaded. Have no current intentions of modding (with the exception of maybe HKS S/C someday; car is still L-certified till' end of 2017).

I've done a fair amount of research but still have some ?'s...

Air Suspension - Anything to worry about there? Avg. lifespan?

CA bushings - I've read one post where someone said anecdotally that the issue was fixed in 11'. Can anyone confirm? Was there a press release?

AWD system - Any concerns?

ML Stereo - Is the amp an issue?

Rear seats heaters/vents - Probably not get much use. But I figure the fronts have been built for regular use. Just wondering if the rears flake out.

Engine - Seems bulletproof. But I've read that it switches from port FI to DI, depending on engine speed. Pretty seamless? Nothing to worry about?

Anything I'm missing, outside of regular maintenance?

Thx fellas.
Air suspension is nice but can be hit and miss it seems like. My '10's had two RR air shock replacements with 83K on it, first one at 65K, second at 78K.
Old 05-08-16, 04:14 PM
R Z
Pole Position

Received 339 Likes on 259 Posts

Welcome. Congrats on the car. Hope you smile every time you push the start button just like I do.
Old 05-08-16, 06:12 PM
integr8d
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Littleguy
My only complaint about the engine in this car and many modern cars is that the DI makes them sound like tractors or old diesel cars when they are idling. Mechanically the engines are pretty bulletproof, congratulations on your purchase! Post some pics, we all want to see it, hahaha.
You can count on it Pics incoming for sure...

Originally Posted by Doublebase
I don't think your going to have any problems with the fuel delivery, I haven't heard of anything.

The control arms may fail, but it's usually around 80,000 plus miles, and there are aftermarket control arms readily available if you choose to go that route.

I haven't heard of any heated seat failures on these cars...front or back.

The air ride will eventually fail - just like all air rides - it depends on the type of driving you do.

The have been reports of amp failures.

There have been reports of a vibration issue with AWD models, I believe there's a technical service bulletin for it.

Other than that they're pretty bullet proof - the control arms are no bid deal at all - I honestly think it's the single most overblown thing I've ever seen. There have been brake actuator failures, that to me is more serious/costly, because there aren't a lot of aftermarket parts for that item (the best I can find is used u its for $700-$1000 on eBay). Otherwise Lexus will nail you for a couple grand.

Of course none of the big ticket items should be of concern, you have the extended warranty, but even if you didn't...none of it would probably be a concern anyway. I've driven mine 125,000 miles and all I've replaced is a wheel bearing and some control arms. Total cost $700.
Cheers. It seems that there was a TSB for the AWD vibrations that got dialed out with a software patch... Copy that on the control arms. I think Toyota did redesign them in 11'. I'll have to verify. But I'm sure it's a different part number now... I'll research the brake actuator. Thank for for the heads up. That's exactly the info I was looking for.

Originally Posted by litesoarer
Air suspension is nice but can be hit and miss it seems like. My '10's had two RR air shock replacements with 83K on it, first one at 65K, second at 78K.
I'm hoping that it's more of an age thing than a use thing... and that it falls in the range of the warranty. The salesman said that I would have the option of extending the warranty. We'll see.

Originally Posted by R Z
Welcome. Congrats on the car. Hope you smile every time you push the start button just like I do.
I'm smiling now just b/c you got me even more excited about this thing arriving

Just need to find a clean set of the 19"s now...
Old 05-09-16, 05:36 AM
dlbuckls10
Racer

Received 96 Likes on 80 Posts

Congrats and enjoy! No vehicle is perfect and problems do occur so hopefully you want have any serious issues with your LS. If so my opinion it would be the air suspension and amp failure
Old 05-09-16, 11:51 AM
rld14
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

To be fair, people complaining about control arm failures on these ought to go and chat with BMW owners

Very little goes wrong with these cars, I have had one recently with a blown ML sub, but overall they're pretty bulletproof and we have some customers who use them as Car Service Limos.. think 200,000++++++ miles in and out of NY City.
Old 05-09-16, 07:32 PM
integr8d
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by rld14
To be fair, people complaining about control arm failures on these ought to go and chat with BMW owners

Very little goes wrong with these cars, I have had one recently with a blown ML sub, but overall they're pretty bulletproof and we have some customers who use them as Car Service Limos.. think 200,000++++++ miles in and out of NY City.
I was looking at a black on black LWB in the Bay Area... It was almost screaming for those little, white letters and numbers on the driver's side of the rear bumper
Old 05-10-16, 06:47 AM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Received 505 Likes on 383 Posts

My only complaint about the engine in this car and many modern cars is that the DI makes them sound like tractors or old diesel cars when they are idling
Jeeeez....if your car sounds ANYTHING like an old tractor or ANY diesel, you've got a problem. As the former owner of a recent diesel, my 08 LS sounds NOTHING like it. In fact, it's one of the quietest car I've ever owned. Now, I will admit that my hearing ain't what it used to be, but I can still hear a diesel when it pulls up to me at a traffic light.

As others have stated here, the LS is not perfect, but so far with nearly 110k miles on my car, it's about as perfect as any car is gonna get. One battery and a water pump so far. No ML amp failures, no CA failures (so far), nada.
Old 05-10-16, 06:56 AM
Littleguy
Intermediate

I'll just say that I am probably pickier about engine sounds than most people, but the DI ticking is there in every LS. Maybe calling it diesel bad was overstating it, lol.
Old 05-10-16, 03:31 PM
integr8d
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by roadfrog
Jeeeez....if your car sounds ANYTHING like an old tractor or ANY diesel, you've got a problem. As the former owner of a recent diesel, my 08 LS sounds NOTHING like it. In fact, it's one of the quietest car I've ever owned. Now, I will admit that my hearing ain't what it used to be, but I can still hear a diesel when it pulls up to me at a traffic light.

As others have stated here, the LS is not perfect, but so far with nearly 110k miles on my car, it's about as perfect as any car is gonna get. One battery and a water pump so far. No ML amp failures, no CA failures (so far), nada.
I did a hearing test, the other day, on youtube and with a good set of cans plugged into my laptop. It's gone by 16KHz. Average for my age... I'm honestly super stoked about having a car with DI. My 2012 Prius is a fairly advanced car but still uses PFI. I wonder if the new ones do.

FWIW, here's a link to the car at the dealership. Should be leaving in a day or two to make its way to L.A... Any of you in the Northeast? Any comments on buying cars that were driven on salted roads?

http://www.lexusofmadison.com/Vehicl...-WI/2756540423
Old 05-10-16, 04:15 PM
GR6RR
Intermediate

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

nice find! looks as this vehicle has barely been used...
Old 05-10-16, 04:29 PM
Littleguy
Intermediate

The car looks perfect! I was excited like a kid so much that I couldn't really sleep the night before I picked mine up, so good luck. Hahahaha.
Old 05-10-16, 09:23 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,522 Likes on 1,820 Posts

Beautiful! I love the interior.

Quick Reply: General questions from new owner...