LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

General questions from new owner...

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-16, 09:36 PM
CarGuy89
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Very nice, congrats! Yours is the most loaded 11-12' SWB AWD I have seen, I thought they did away with the nice comfort plus pack for the 11-12's. That is a cool looking trim, and I am envious of that nice extended leather you have!

Funny thing is I found mine in Madison, WI as well (at a nice Audi dealership) and brought my car in to Lexus Madison for a PPI. However, the guy took one glance at my car, a late build '12 with factory warranty remaining and only 17k mi, and didn't even bother doing the PPI. Told me to save my money and if something went wrong, warranty would cover it. Guess they must be doing well to turn down $$ haha.

Enjoy the car!
Old 05-29-16, 05:35 AM
lexus600hl
Pole Position

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Doublebase

The control arms may fail, but it's usually around 80,000 plus miles, and there are aftermarket control arms readily available if you choose to go that route.
My 2008 ls600 has about 100,000 miles. Can you please post the information about the control arm replacement?
Thanks.
Old 05-29-16, 07:08 AM
seanl
Intermediate

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by integr8d
I was looking at a black on black LWB in the Bay Area... It was almost screaming for those little, white letters and numbers on the driver's side of the rear bumper
And that's why I don't want to own a black luxury car....everyone will instantly thing I drive for Uber Black! Not to mention black is a tough color to take care of, it shows dirt and swirls big time.

Congrats on the new ride. I recently upgraded from a '97 LS400 to a '12 LS460 Sport and couldn't be happier.
Old 05-29-16, 09:42 AM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Received 505 Likes on 383 Posts

The urge to tinker will soon pass
Well.......If your like most people here at CL (me included), it won't pass at all. LOL. I'm 54 and am always looking at something to do to my ride. In fact, today I'll be tinkering on it, installing 7milesout exhaust vents for that slightly more growly sound.

Nice car and color! Congrats. As for what to clean the paw prints off with, try Lexol. They make a cleaner as well as a conditioner. Mother's now makes a product called "VLR" which cleans, conditions and protects vinyl, leather, and rubber.

Last edited by roadfrog; 05-30-16 at 10:42 AM.
Old 05-29-16, 06:35 PM
Doublebase
Pole Position

Received 352 Likes on 243 Posts

Originally Posted by lexus600hl
My 2008 ls600 has about 100,000 miles. Can you please post the information about the control arm replacement?
Thanks.
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls-...tures-etc.html

Well this was my experience doing them myself. It's a doable job for someone with some experience working on cars, I wouldn't attempt it if that experience only extended to oil changes, etc. The parts are readily available almost anywhere, towards the end of the thread I posted a 10,000 mile update on how the aftermarket parts are holding up (they're doing fine). There are other threads on the site with people's different experiences with various avenues for replacement...dealer, independent, just doing the bushings, etc. I only supplied pictures, it probably would have been better if I had made a video.
Old 05-30-16, 06:14 AM
lexus600hl
Pole Position

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Doublebase
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls-...tures-etc.html

Well this was my experience doing them myself. It's a doable job for someone with some experience working on cars, I wouldn't attempt it if that experience only extended to oil changes, etc. The parts are readily available almost anywhere, towards the end of the thread I posted a 10,000 mile update on how the aftermarket parts are holding up (they're doing fine). There are other threads on the site with people's different experiences with various avenues for replacement...dealer, independent, just doing the bushings, etc. I only supplied pictures, it probably would have been better if I had made a video.
You supplying the pictures was quite useful and it was nice of you to post them. I worry about after market parts. Often, they are made in china or India - with low quality forgings or castings.. If I were to have them changed, I would probably like to go the route of retaining the original parts and installing only the teflon bushings, about which someone else posted on this forum.
This forum is quite valuable.. with people like you and others, posting such useful information!
Old 05-30-16, 09:02 AM
7milesout
Advanced

Received 78 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by roadfrog
Well.......If your like most people here at CL (me included), it won't pass at all. LOL. I'm 54 and am always looking at something to do to my ride. In fact, today I'll be tinkering on it, installing Doublebase's exhaust vents for that slightly more growly sound.

Nice car and color! Congrats. As for what to clean the paw prints off with, try Lexol. They make a cleaner as well as a conditioner. Mother's now makes a product called "VLR" which cleans, conditions and protects vinyl, leather, and rubber.
Woops, he meant 7milesout Exhaust Vents. Doublebase ... you're in trouble man! Gonna have to slap a lawsuit on ya! Hehehehe. Just kidding!
Old 05-30-16, 10:45 AM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by 7milesout
Woops, he meant 7milesout Exhaust Vents. Doublebase ... you're in trouble man! Gonna have to slap a lawsuit on ya! Hehehehe. Just kidding!
What can I say? I'm so giddy about my new exhaust sound I forgot who's who! I've corrected the flub....sorry mate!
Old 05-30-16, 10:56 AM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

I worry about after market parts. Often, they are made in china or India - with low quality forgings or castings.. If I were to have them changed, I would probably like to go the route of retaining the original parts
I guess.....but keep in mind that the "quality" original parts are the ones that failed. I would not be surprised to learn that these aftermarket control arms are lasting at least as long (if not longer) than the OEM ones.And for the record, Chinese steel is likely what is being used to stamp, forge and die "made In Japan" parts. It is widely accepted that Chinese steel is quality now. Most "OEM" parts are made in China these days.
Old 05-30-16, 01:23 PM
Doublebase
Pole Position

Originally Posted by 7milesout
Haha! I just checked out that thread today...sounds nice. Awesome work.
Old 05-30-16, 01:34 PM
Doublebase
Pole Position

Originally Posted by lexus600hl
You supplying the pictures was quite useful and it was nice of you to post them. I worry about after market parts. Often, they are made in china or India - with low quality forgings or castings.. If I were to have them changed, I would probably like to go the route of retaining the original parts and installing only the teflon bushings, about which someone else posted on this forum.
This forum is quite valuable.. with people like you and others, posting such useful information!
I did consider that, but attached to the other end of those control arms is a ball joint and I didn't want to just replace those bushings and then have the ball joint fail. I will say the Beck Arnley control arms I used did look like OEM arms and from talking to some people in the parts business, they say that a good amount of their stuff is rebadged OEM. But who knows?

The only arm I considered replacing just the bushing in was the rearward facing lowers because they don't have a ball joint on the end, instead it slips over the ball joint that is pressed into the steering knuckle. Good luck with whatever you do, it's not that big of a job. Any halfway reputable place should be able to handle the entire job in around three hours...I bet most could do it in two (I bet there are experienced Lexus techs doing it in an hour and a half).
Old 05-31-16, 04:20 PM
integr8d
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by CarGuy89
Very nice, congrats! Yours is the most loaded 11-12' SWB AWD I have seen, I thought they did away with the nice comfort plus pack for the 11-12's. That is a cool looking trim, and I am envious of that nice extended leather you have!

Funny thing is I found mine in Madison, WI as well (at a nice Audi dealership) and brought my car in to Lexus Madison for a PPI. However, the guy took one glance at my car, a late build '12 with factory warranty remaining and only 17k mi, and didn't even bother doing the PPI. Told me to save my money and if something went wrong, warranty would cover it. Guess they must be doing well to turn down $$ haha.

Enjoy the car!
Noice!

I noticed that you're on the factory 18's also (at least, your pic shows them). Do you know why they didn't offer the 19's on the AWD cars? Is/was there something more all-weatherness about the 18's? I want to find a set. But I don't want to screw w/ the intended dynamics of the car. I can't help but think that there was something about that combination that they purposefully left out.
Old 05-31-16, 04:23 PM
integr8d
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by roadfrog
Well.......If your like most people here at CL (me included), it won't pass at all. LOL. I'm 54 and am always looking at something to do to my ride. In fact, today I'll be tinkering on it, installing 7milesout exhaust vents for that slightly more growly sound.

Thanks, man! I'll give it a shot. Actually, I'm going to let the dealer make a call on how they want to handle that, the apparent failing of the sub/amp channel and the ding in the rear-pass side quarter panel (that anyone paying full asking price wouldn't have even had to mention but simply point at). I spoke w/ the salesperson today and immediately, "Well, if you were local..."

So we'll see how Lexus of Madison handles clients, after they have their money.
Old 06-01-16, 07:31 PM
CarGuy89
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by integr8d
Noice!

I noticed that you're on the factory 18's also (at least, your pic shows them). Do you know why they didn't offer the 19's on the AWD cars? Is/was there something more all-weatherness about the 18's? I want to find a set. But I don't want to screw w/ the intended dynamics of the car. I can't help but think that there was something about that combination that they purposefully left out.
Yup rocking the stock 18s. For a big flaship car, you would think they would try make cooler looking wheels and put it on a more aggressive stance. I really don't know why they never offered 19s OEM. It actually really perplexes me as the 600hL were all AWD and they all ran the bigger muti-spoke 19s. My initial guess is that heavier wheels might be harder on the AWD system, but a few members with 600s have modded theirs (with some pretty sweet rims I might add) and I never saw a complaint about damage to the drivetrain.

Oh well, new rims esp OEM/high quality ones = $$$$, then before you know it lowering suspension for that perfect ride height with spacers, maybe a bodykit now that the rest of car is bit more aggressive? It goes on and on, and maybe it's for the best that I don't have the $$ to do all that LOL!
Old 06-01-16, 09:21 PM
litesoarer
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by CarGuy89
Yup rocking the stock 18s. For a big flaship car, you would think they would try make cooler looking wheels and put it on a more aggressive stance. I really don't know why they never offered 19s OEM. It actually really perplexes me as the 600hL were all AWD and they all ran the bigger muti-spoke 19s. My initial guess is that heavier wheels might be harder on the AWD system, but a few members with 600s have modded theirs (with some pretty sweet rims I might add) and I never saw a complaint about damage to the drivetrain.

Oh well, new rims esp OEM/high quality ones = $$$$, then before you know it lowering suspension for that perfect ride height with spacers, maybe a bodykit now that the rest of car is bit more aggressive? It goes on and on, and maybe it's for the best that I don't have the $$ to do all that LOL!
This car had a specific target audience as you know. That's not to say they didn't branch out later and go on to make an F-Sport version. But ultimately that's the politics of it.

Quick Reply: General questions from new owner...