LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Switching engine OFF but leaving accessories ON

Old 05-02-16, 06:48 AM
jasone36
Instructor

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
Default Switching engine OFF but leaving accessories ON

Hello,

It seems the LS460 cannot go DIRECTLY from "the engine is running with the infotainment system on" to "the engine is turned off, but the infotainment system remains on".

It seems as soon as you turn off the engine, the infotainment system cuts off immediately, dropping any bluetooth calls, music, or anything else.

You must press the Start button once more to get the accessories to come back (after a delay... since the wheel and seats have to retract once again... seems wasteful to me).

The only workaround I found, is to put the transmission into Neutral, then cut the engine... then put the transmission into Park.

This method will leave the accessories ON after the engine is cut, BUT it will not apply the automatic parking brake (if you use the feature).

It seems like a kludgy workaround... since I ALWAYS leave the parking brake in automatic mode, so I'd like it to engage everytime the car is parked... which doesn't seem possible if I use this workaround.

I wanted to hear if anyone has any thoughts on this topic.

There must be other LS owners who find this frustrating...

Thank you

Last edited by jasone36; 05-02-16 at 06:51 AM.
Old 05-02-16, 10:33 AM
enoch861
Pole Position

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Coming from an Audi I find it frustrating at times but it's more of an annoyance than anything. But I've started to learn to live with it. On the Audi you turn the car off and it keeps the MMI on and running as well as power to windows (no auto open/close in this mode) and sunroof until you open the drivers door. It's very convenient and definitely something I can't believe Lexus overlooked. I don't think this feature is implemented in any of their new cars either (having driven an ES, RC, NX, and CTh. There are other little things the car does are super annoying also like not returning the wipers if you turn the car off with them half way up or turning on the headlights when it starts raining.
Old 05-02-16, 10:37 AM
Gbp
Lexus Champion

Received 60 Likes on 56 Posts

I'm sorry this doesn't answer your question, but I've had to jump-start the car twice when I was using the infotainment system with the engine off. I think the accessories were in use around 30 minutes. Add other loads, such as air conditioning, and I'd think the time before draining drops further.

I use the kludge you describe mostly if I've a song I want to finish without interruption. The same idea might apply to a phone call made or received through the infotainment system.
Old 05-02-16, 11:18 AM
Dr. Jekyll
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by Gbp
I'm sorry this doesn't answer your question, but I've had to jump-start the car twice when I was using the infotainment system with the engine off. I think the accessories were in use around 30 minutes. Add other loads, such as air conditioning, and I'd think the time before draining drops further.

I use the kludge you describe mostly if I've a song I want to finish without interruption. The same idea might apply to a phone call made or received through the infotainment system.
Do you not get a message that the battery is running low and you should start your car soon? I got that once in my 2014.
Old 05-02-16, 11:30 AM
Gbp
Lexus Champion

Received 60 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by Dr. Jekyll
Do you not get a message that the battery is running low and you should start your car soon? I got that once in my 2014.
Indeed I did get the warning message. The problem is that the message should have read: "Your battery is now too low for you to successfully start your car."

I recently replaced my battery due to a bad cell. Perhaps the warning message would really now be a warning!
Old 05-02-16, 11:50 AM
jasone36
Instructor

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

I find that in "accessory mode", with the engine off, everything shuts off after approximately 15 or 20 minutes (if the engine is not turned back on). I don't think I get "battery low" warnings, though. It starts right up afterwards.

I wonder if that's a setting we can adjust, or if my battery is going dead...
Old 05-02-16, 11:57 AM
aeggroup
Rookie

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I had the same issue as you guys till I started to explore Owner's Manual...and sometimes it pays off to read it . Just yesterday I found out the way how to leave infotainment system on.
When you turn off your car - a gear should be in N, not P position. After you turn off, stereo system keeps working and then you can safely put it in P. Try it...works beautiful )

P.S. Actually, owner's manual says - any position but P will keep infotainment system on.

Last edited by aeggroup; 05-02-16 at 12:02 PM.
Old 05-02-16, 12:05 PM
comotiger
Pole Position

Received 292 Likes on 251 Posts

Originally Posted by aeggroup
I had the same issue as you guys till I started to explore Owner's Manual...and sometimes it pays off to read it . Just yesterday I found out the way how to leave infotainment system on.
When you turn off your car - a gear should be in N, not P position. After you turn off, stereo system keeps working and then you can safely put it in P. Try it...works beautiful )

P.S. Actually, owner's manual says - any position but P will keep infotainment system on.
Thanks, aeg, the OP mentioned this "trick". The issue he indicated is that the parking brake does not engage automatically when shifting from N to P. I have to check this out.
Old 05-02-16, 12:23 PM
aeggroup
Rookie

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by comotiger
Thanks, aeg, the OP mentioned this "trick". The issue he indicated is that the parking brake does not engage automatically when shifting from N to P. I have to check this out.
Oh..sorry ....as always and I have no patience to read till the very end But I was honestly trying to help you out )