LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

New toy.

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-16, 08:04 PM
CarGuy89
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

That is one sweet toy! I love these old Mercs! That looks to be in immaculate shape, shows what tremendous engineering/design/build quality (with proper care of course) can do. I grew up with the W140s and I would to pick one up later on, just depends how big my garage is I suppose . I imagine she still drives beautifully, a large German tank. Enjoy the new toy!
Old 05-02-16, 08:24 PM
DaddyYow23
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

nice looking car you got there
Old 05-03-16, 08:41 AM
tbilisi79
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Thanks guys.
I always thought that the first Ls400 looked like a w126, the 01-06 Ls 400 looked like a w140. 07-up Ls has a design of its own, which is why I love it so much, I owned a 98 Ls too at some point.

In a way I am thankful to Mercedes. If it wasn't for them, we might not have a kick *** Lexus we enjoy today.
As for this 420. It does everything well. Drives like an older car, but I love it. It has so much character in and out.
I don't know what's happening to me, but I have less and less interest in newer cars. I,don't crave the technology and 500+ horsepower is useless since you can not use it anywhere on public roads.
I noticed a car yesterday and it was a new 750li, I thought it was a Kia at first. Apparently that car can back out of garage with press of a button using your key. Maybe it's just me, but I enjoy opening and locking the doors of the w126 with a key, turning the lights on manually, things of that nature.
At the same time, I know I would crave a modern luxury car like LS if I didn't have one.

At this point the LS is parked most of the time. We only use it for road trips. I've put less than 200 miles on it this year. Don't know what to do with it. If I sell it I'll miss it. it's still my favorite long range cruiser.

Last edited by tbilisi79; 05-03-16 at 08:45 AM.
Old 05-03-16, 08:59 AM
seanl
Intermediate

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by tbilisi79
I don't know what's happening to me, but I have less and less interest in newer cars. I,don't crave the technology and 500+ horsepower is useless since you can not use it anywhere on public roads.

I noticed a car yesterday and it was a new 750li, I thought it was a Kia at first. Apparently that car can back out of garage with press of a button using your key. Maybe it's just me, but I enjoy opening and locking the doors of the w126 with a key, turning the lights on manually, things of that nature.
At the same time, I know I would crave a modern luxury car like LS if I didn't have one.
I don't think you're alone in this thought process...there is much to be said for well built 'analog' cars.

And while not totally analog, the LS400s were all nearly bulletproof. Navi, who needs it with today's modern smartphones? 20 years later the build quality is crystal clear.

Now I did just upgrade from the '97 LS to a '12 LS, but I paid my dues in LS400s (going back to 2001) and was ready for a more modern daily driver for my occasional freeway commutes.

and finally, my 996 Turbo is sorta of a blend between the analog cars of the air cooled era, but has modern performance. Not too many buttons or electronic either. Love turning that key left of the steering wheel!
Old 05-03-16, 09:48 AM
tbilisi79
Instructor

Originally Posted by seanl
I don't think you're alone in this thought process...there is much to be said for well built 'analog' cars.

And while not totally analog, the LS400s were all nearly bulletproof. Navi, who needs it with today's modern smartphones? 20 years later the build quality is crystal clear.

Now I did just upgrade from the '97 LS to a '12 LS, but I paid my dues in LS400s (going back to 2001) and was ready for a more modern daily driver for my occasional freeway commutes.

and finally, my 996 Turbo is sorta of a blend between the analog cars of the air cooled era, but has modern performance. Not too many buttons or electronic either. Love turning that key left of the steering wheel!
New 991 is just phenomenal. A bit large for a classic 911 but stunning from every angle. I don't even want to know how it drives. It's up there on a list of dream cars, Miura being one of them.

With that said, 997 is a bargain at this time. Perfect blend of modern technology and simple mechanics. If my stocks take off like AAMRQ did few years ago, I think I'll be buying a 997. Manual.
As for 996 turbo, also a,bargain of a a car and not for long I think. Those didn't have IMS bearing issues, look great, fast and reliable from what a I hear. Few years ago, I was getting out of friends BMW when we went skiing in Vermont, a guy pulled up next to us in a 996 turbo, ski rack and all. I was so happy to see the car used like a regular car.
Old 05-03-16, 01:38 PM
dlbuckls10
Racer

Received 96 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by tbilisi79
Thanks guys.
I always thought that the first Ls400 looked like a w126, the 01-06 Ls 400 looked like a w140. 07-up Ls has a design of its own, which is why I love it so much, I owned a 98 Ls too at some point.

In a way I am thankful to Mercedes. If it wasn't for them, we might not have a kick *** Lexus we enjoy today.
As for this 420. It does everything well. Drives like an older car, but I love it. It has so much character in and out.

At this point the LS is parked most of the time. We only use it for road trips. I've put less than 200 miles on it this year. Don't know what to do with it. If I sell it I'll miss it. it's still my favorite long range cruiser.
You put less than 200 miles on it this year? Unbelievable and that extremely low and I have walked more miles than that this year. Almost like not diving it at all. Its an incredible automobile and a pleasure to drive. You need to drive it and let it shine.
Old 05-03-16, 01:54 PM
Gbp
Lexus Champion

Received 60 Likes on 56 Posts

I have to bit a bit of a contrarian here. With my LS460, I love the fact that all I need is to have the key fob on me (without using it) to lock/unlock the doors, open the trunk from the outside, and start/stop the engine and electronics. So far, I've not used the key that slides into the fob. Not having to take the fob out of my pocket makes many tasks easier and faster.

I also like not having to turn on/off the headlights except under rare circumstances or to engage or release the parking. The doors have a solid feel to them and a satisfying "thunk" to them when closed. When not quite closed all the way, the power close assist to finish is great. Any nostalgia I have for an older, classic luxury vehicle would include missing the LS460 improvements I just mentioned.
Old 05-03-16, 02:59 PM
tbilisi79
Instructor

I love all the LS features, don't get me wrong. I'm just saying that I appreciate the simplicity of old school feel as well. Different cars for different days.
Old 05-03-16, 05:50 PM
litesoarer
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Gbp
I have to bit a bit of a contrarian here. With my LS460, I love the fact that all I need is to have the key fob on me (without using it) to lock/unlock the doors, open the trunk from the outside, and start/stop the engine and electronics. So far, I've not used the key that slides into the fob. Not having to take the fob out of my pocket makes many tasks easier and faster.

I also like not having to turn on/off the headlights except under rare circumstances or to engage or release the parking. The doors have a solid feel to them and a satisfying "thunk" to them when closed. When not quite closed all the way, the power close assist to finish is great. Any nostalgia I have for an older, classic luxury vehicle would include missing the LS460 improvements I just mentioned.
Agreed but ultimately it's just more stuff that can break. 😐