LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

19" 5-spokes chrome rims: OEM or Replica???

Old 04-27-16, 04:36 PM
hfahmy
Advanced

Received 53 Likes on 48 Posts
Default 19" 5-spokes chrome rims: OEM or Replica???

Is this OEM or Replica? Stamped Toyota on the back but no JWL (Japan Light Wheel Alloy) stamp ...
Attached Thumbnails 19" 5-spokes chrome rims: OEM or Replica???-image.jpeg  

Last edited by hfahmy; 04-27-16 at 05:39 PM.
Old 04-27-16, 04:37 PM
hfahmy
Advanced

Back picture
Old 04-27-16, 04:40 PM
hfahmy
Advanced

Toyota on the back
Old 04-27-16, 04:41 PM
hfahmy
Advanced

Size and offset
Old 04-28-16, 10:08 AM
GenXY
Rookie

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I have 4 of those on my car. All 4 are peeling
Old 04-28-16, 11:24 AM
dlbuckls10
Racer

Received 96 Likes on 80 Posts

Stamped Toyota? Should be OEM but it just hard to tell.
Old 04-28-16, 12:05 PM
hfahmy
Advanced

Yes, all four are stamped "Toyota" but they do not have the "JWL" stamp (see picture) that is on all Lexus OEM rims.

I took them to a Lexus dealer and they said that they look factory but could not explain why they don't have the "JWL" stamp???

I am a balance OCD, so concerned about moving my tires to them and have a balance problem...
Attached Images  

Last edited by hfahmy; 04-28-16 at 12:10 PM.
Old 04-28-16, 12:09 PM
hfahmy
Advanced

Originally Posted by GenXY
I have 4 of those on my car. All 4 are peeling
Do yours have the JWL stamp (see picture) on the front or back? Did you have any balancing issues? Where did you get them at?
Attached Images  
Old 04-28-16, 01:21 PM
rld14
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Maybe they're not JWL approved because they're chrome? I forget if it's Germany or Japan but one of those countries generally doesn't allow chrome wheels.
Old 04-28-16, 02:23 PM
ALtin107
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Where did you buy it from? Was the price too good to be true?
Old 04-28-16, 02:57 PM
hfahmy
Advanced

Originally Posted by ALtin107
Where did you buy it from? Was the price too good to be true?
From Craigslist. Seller said it is from Lexus dealer in Wisconson. He sold the car with the 18" and wanted those gone.

I also have a relative who bought similar wheels for LS430 directly from a Lexus dealer and he is having a balance problem with them.

So question is: does Lexus/Toyota manufacture wheels here in the US that don't have to comply with JWL , only DOT?

When I went to the Lexus dealer to get them looked at, they had a display of optional wheels, 2 out of 6 did not have JWL stamp, not even "Toyota"
Old 04-28-16, 04:26 PM
caha14
Racer

Received 74 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by hfahmy
Do yours have the JWL stamp (see picture) on the front or back? Did you have any balancing issues? Where did you get them at?
Originally Posted by rld14
Maybe they're not JWL approved because they're chrome? I forget if it's Germany or Japan but one of those countries generally doesn't allow chrome wheels.
My understanding is that for this generation LS, the only wheels that Lexus offers in chrome are the Teleios (18") wheels. Any others are chromed after the fact, so I would expect the JWL stamp to remain, unless for some reason they decided to grind it smooth (and I can't think why - seems like too much work for minimal benefit).

From Craigslist. Seller said it is from Lexus dealer in Wisconson. He sold the car with the 18" and wanted those gone.

I also have a relative who bought similar wheels for LS430 directly from a Lexus dealer and he is having a balance problem with them.

So question is: does Lexus/Toyota manufacture wheels here in the US that don't have to comply with JWL , only DOT?

When I went to the Lexus dealer to get them looked at, they had a display of optional wheels, 2 out of 6 did not have JWL stamp, not even "Toyota"
I have these same wheels (minus chrome) and bought them off eBay some years ago to use on my 460L as my summer set. Unfortunately, they are now in storage, as they are my winter set for the 600, so I can't look for the JWL. I'm pretty sure it's there, and 'Toyota' and the dimensions/offset are definitely behind the spoke.

I am probably as OCD about balance (if not worse, frankly - just ask my dealership) as you. My bigger concern with replicas is with structural integrity, especially for anything made in China. Given the heavier 600, this is a bigger consideration.

I am not dismissing balancing as a potential concern. You can, however, as you know, balance an elliptical (or even square!) wheel if you wanted to; it would just drive like crap.

This is where road force balance comes in, together with a highly competent user who's fully educated on the use/advantages of the Hunter GSP9700, a properly calibrated machine, flange plates and other hardware in good condition (you'd be amazed at how many places fail at more than one of these). A wheel that's reasonably round should (in most cases) be road-force-balanceable within reason if matched properly to equally imperfect tires.

Anyway, the labeling behind the spokes seems to point to OEM; the lack of JWL stamping is a mystery to me, and again, I wonder whether there's a reason it's just not there (would be good to see if everyone's 5-spoke wheels on here have it).

Last edited by caha14; 04-28-16 at 04:29 PM.
Old 04-28-16, 05:00 PM
GenXY
Rookie

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Yes, you can see the logo underneath the chrome. I think the previous owner had the original 19" 5-spoke alloys sent off to be dipped as an aftermarket option. The job wasn't done well because all of the wheels are peeling in one way or another. I'm about to put nail polish on them, hopefully giving them some extended life before I replace them for cosmetic reasons.

As far as balancing goes.. I bought a set of Michelins and had them mounted/road-force balanced at a local speed shop here. They didn't announce any issues with the wheels when they were installing them and the car has been driving fine.. about 600 miles so far.
Attached Thumbnails 19" 5-spokes chrome rims: OEM or Replica???-wh.jpg   19" 5-spokes chrome rims: OEM or Replica???-wh2.jpg   19" 5-spokes chrome rims: OEM or Replica???-wh3.jpg   19" 5-spokes chrome rims: OEM or Replica???-wh4.jpg