LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

oil leak on LS460 L

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-16, 10:05 AM
kshrews196
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default oil leak on LS460 L

I have recently noticed a pool of oil after I park my LS460. I've been told fuel pump could cause this oil leak. Any ideas ?
Old 04-26-16, 11:10 AM
comotiger
Pole Position

Received 292 Likes on 251 Posts

Originally Posted by kshrews196
I have recently noticed a pool of oil after I park my LS460. I've been told fuel pump could cause this oil leak. Any ideas ?
Hello, welcome to the forum. Can you provide some details about your vehicle? Have you owned the vehicle for a while and only noticed this problem recently (how many miles ago?)? Who told you it could be the fuel pump? A repair shop? Are you losing a lot of oil? Was the vehicle serviced recently (oil change etc?). Maybe it is something as simple as a improperly closed drain plug. Do you see smoke on start up or while driving? It could be a head gasket. Good luck and hope you get this fixed soon.
Old 04-26-16, 11:24 AM
kshrews196
Driver School Candidate

I've recently purchased car less than 300 miles ago. Vehicle has aprroxitmately 58,000 miles. I have not removed any inspection covers yet to see if it's drain plug leak. Lexus dealership suggested oil leak may be coming from fuel pump.
Old 04-26-16, 11:55 AM
comotiger
Pole Position

Received 292 Likes on 251 Posts

Originally Posted by kshrews196
I've recently purchased car less than 300 miles ago. Vehicle has aprroxitmately 58,000 miles. I have not removed any inspection covers yet to see if it's drain plug leak. Lexus dealership suggested oil leak may be coming from fuel pump.
So they are not sure it is the fuel pump? What is the estimated cost? I would get a second opinion from another shop (Toyota/Lexus).
Old 04-26-16, 12:28 PM
Rhambler
Lexus Test Driver

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Well, it could be something simple as a missing o ring on your oil filter. I've seen friend's cars with missing o rings on their filters after taking their cars to jiffy lube or some other God-awful oil change place. They leaked oil and thought the worst, but after taking it to the dealer, they said it was the filter o ring and nothing more.

You buy the car from the dealer or third-party? If it's a third-party or a non-Lexus dealer, who knows who changed your oil.

Unless you can inspect it yourself, just have the dealer look at it. It could be something simple. Even if it isn't, assuming you purchased it from the dealer, they may fix for free if you complain considering you just got it.

If it's a third-party, well, let this be a lesson to thoroughly inspect prior to purchase.
Old 04-26-16, 01:31 PM
Tec80
Advanced

Received 126 Likes on 98 Posts

There are 2 fuel pumps, one on each rocker cover. You'd likely have a bunch of smoke and burning oil smell if the o-rings sealing the pumps to the rocker covers were leaking, because the oil would drip right down onto the exhaust manifold.
oil leak on LS460 L-motor_1ur_fse_0467830bf9842f47c50826d3bf154a85b19d2fe4.jpg
Old 04-27-16, 01:05 AM
1Putt
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Either the fuel pump O-rings or the valve cover gaskets.
I haven't seen anyone here changing valve cover gaskets due to leaks

I also have a very slow leak on passenger side, either from the fuel pump gasket or valve cover gasket. Sometimes have burning oil smell after longer drivers, and a little bit of oil collects in the underbody panels after many months
Old 04-27-16, 01:58 AM
Doublebase
Pole Position

Received 352 Likes on 243 Posts

If the OP is noticing a pool of oil under his car, then it shouldn't be fuel. As everyone knows fuel smells and it evaporates rather quickly, so the smell would be a dead give away. Plus if it was the high pressure fuel area, I'd venture to guess that there would have been a fire.

It's strange that a dealership would tell the guy it's probably fuel when it doesn't sound like they've even taken a look at it. I wonder if they're playing it safe because there is a fuel gasket recall that calls for an o-ring to be replaced on the fuel rail. This recall came out this time last year, it involves removing the intake manifold, but still even if it was that we'd most likely be talking about an engine fire.

I'd be willing to guess that it's something related to a previous repair...either an oil change gone bad (filter housing cracked, missing gasket, loose drain plug, spilt oil).

If it's a timing cover or valve cover gaskets it would be something rare with this vehicle. I've only heard of one other member that had to replace valve cover gaskets on these cars,mane that car had 260,000 miles (former limo). I imagine as the vehicle ages it's only a matter of time before we start hearing of leaks, but right now I'd say these engines are pretty damn tight...it's one of the strong suites of the car, that and a lack of check engine lights.
Old 04-27-16, 08:11 AM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Received 505 Likes on 383 Posts

Originally Posted by Doublebase
If the OP is noticing a pool of oil under his car, then it shouldn't be fuel. As everyone knows fuel smells and it evaporates rather quickly, so the smell would be a dead give away. Plus if it was the high pressure fuel area, I'd venture to guess that there would have been a fire.

It's strange that a dealership would tell the guy it's probably fuel when it doesn't sound like they've even taken a look at it. I wonder if they're playing it safe because there is a fuel gasket recall that calls for an o-ring to be replaced on the fuel rail. This recall came out this time last year, it involves removing the intake manifold, but still even if it was that we'd most likely be talking about an engine fire.

I'd be willing to guess that it's something related to a previous repair...either an oil change gone bad (filter housing cracked, missing gasket, loose drain plug, spilt oil).

If it's a timing cover or valve cover gaskets it would be something rare with this vehicle. I've only heard of one other member that had to replace valve cover gaskets on these cars,mane that car had 260,000 miles (former limo). I imagine as the vehicle ages it's only a matter of time before we start hearing of leaks, but right now I'd say these engines are pretty damn tight...it's one of the strong suites of the car, that and a lack of check engine lights.
But those "check Engine Lights" were sooo pretty when they lit up on my BMW's.

I think the suggestion of the fuel pump leaking is valid. I believe the fuel pumps are mounted on the valve covers and when the gaskets connecting them to the valve covers fail, they leak oil not fuel. At least that's how I see it.
The following 3 users liked this post by roadfrog:
Parrokeete (02-11-22), Rajananda (02-10-22), SENSAY813 (04-25-22)
Old 04-27-16, 09:28 AM
kshrews196
Driver School Candidate

okay i finally found this leak as shown in the attached pictures. I need to replace clamp and possibly hose too. I didn't know the LS460 had a oil cooler.oil leak on LS460 L-lexus_leak_faf7bd59a96f2c319359e76e5d0d0f5fe2334eb4.jpeg

oil leak on LS460 L-lexus_leak1_394ad60554a9f63206ad24e0357d114a60f9e473.jpg

Now i'm onto working my next problem.
Need replacement inner and outer Front CV boots. Can anyone recommend a good source for Lexus parts?
Old 04-27-16, 10:27 AM
dlbuckls10
Racer

Received 96 Likes on 80 Posts

Another simple fix just by taking the time to look for yourself.
Old 04-27-16, 12:05 PM
Rhambler
Lexus Test Driver

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Nice, glad your leak was fairly benign.

Here's a link to authentic Lexus parts: https://lparts247.com

Expensive, but cheaper than going to the counter.
Old 04-27-16, 01:25 PM
kshrews196
Driver School Candidate

Thanks so much for parts link. Its nice to be on Lexus Forum and getting help from follow Lexus owners.
The following users liked this post:
CamelKool (07-19-20)
Old 04-27-16, 07:31 PM
Doublebase
Pole Position

Received 352 Likes on 243 Posts

Congrats, looks like you have yourself an easy fix. Imagine what would have happened if that hose blew off while you were driving?
Old 04-28-16, 01:42 AM
1Putt
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by roadfrog
But those "check Engine Lights" were sooo pretty when they lit up on my BMW's.

I think the suggestion of the fuel pump leaking is valid. I believe the fuel pumps are mounted on the valve covers and when the gaskets connecting them to the valve covers fail, they leak oil not fuel. At least that's how I see it.
+1 that's what I was saying also

Quick Reply: oil leak on LS460 L