LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

2007 Dashboard recall / warranty "enhancement"

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-16, 07:02 PM
IStoSC
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 2007 Dashboard recall / warranty "enhancement"

Have you guys had this completed yet?

http://www.carcomplaints.com/news/20...shboards.shtml

I go to JM Lexus and have been on a "wait list" for nearly a year without any real answer on when this will happen. The dashboard, door trim, or frankly any part of the car with this vinyl material is cracked, melted, and completed withered looking. Also if by an unfortunate chance it is touched it marks up clothes, hands...etc.As a whole the car looks quite depressing and its actually well taken care of and is always in a garage. In contrast, we have a 2010 thats driven daily and kept outside in the Florida sun and it seems to be holding up fine.
Old 04-24-16, 09:59 PM
vstyle444
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by IStoSC
Have you guys had this completed yet?

http://www.carcomplaints.com/news/20...shboards.shtml

I go to JM Lexus and have been on a "wait list" for nearly a year without any real answer on when this will happen. The dashboard, door trim, or frankly any part of the car with this vinyl material is cracked, melted, and completed withered looking. Also if by an unfortunate chance it is touched it marks up clothes, hands...etc.As a whole the car looks quite depressing and its actually well taken care of and is always in a garage. In contrast, we have a 2010 thats driven daily and kept outside in the Florida sun and it seems to be holding up fine.
I'm still waiting for mines too. Supposedly West plan dealership say it's starting to do the LS sometimes June
Old 04-25-16, 05:32 AM
johnnyg66
Racer

Received 152 Likes on 130 Posts

Ditto. Waiting waiting..
Old 04-25-16, 12:34 PM
njumongkol
Rookie

I got mine done 2 weeks ago. Lexus of Las vegas called and told me dash was in. I'm still waiting on door panel though. Go into your dealer and make an appointment to get you on the list.
Old 04-25-16, 04:24 PM
IStoSC
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by njumongkol
I got mine done 2 weeks ago. Lexus of Las vegas called and told me dash was in. I'm still waiting on door panel though. Go into your dealer and make an appointment to get you on the list.
What door panels are you getting covered? Literally all of ours are toast (pun intended)...
Old 04-25-16, 05:36 PM
Rhambler
Lexus Test Driver

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

I see a lot of engineering specs and I often wonder the genesis of this issue as I've seen these things spiral out of control.

1. Toyota specifically requested a certain type of material that was later determined to be faulty or bad. Just bad engineering and an equally bad specification.
2. Toyota was not very specific in the material or construction other than broad requirements and the manufacturer used a material that was within the spec requirements but just faulty or bad. Another form of a bad specification, not necessarily from an engineering perspective, but more so in the crappy language and how it was specified and written.
3. Toyota requested a certain material type that wasn't completely adhered to by the manufacturer, pretty much out-of-spec.

I'm not sure which one it might be. I've seen them all, the good ones and the bad ones. Language and conveying that language in a simple, clear, direct and distinct manner means everything. I personally tend to think it was 1. A car company with that much engineering might and having been around for as long as they have usually don't put out loose or crappy engineering specifications that leaves room for a lot of interpretation.

If that's the case, then Toyota is stuck with the bill, unless they managed to pull off some god-awful clause in the contract that holds them harmless regardless, but what parts manufacturer would sign that? I'm assuming these are made out-of-house of course. If they're made in-house, well then it's all on them, regardless.
Old 04-25-16, 05:57 PM
Rhambler
Lexus Test Driver

Also, the reason why it's taking so long, in my opinion, is because lawyers are involved.

They could be fighting over that spec interpretation and who is at fault. Toyota might never admit they specified crap (initially) instead trying to place blame on the manufacturer and visa-versa. This thing could drag on for a long time, legally.

In fact, I bet Toyota is strong-arming that part's manufacturer during this fight and the part's manufacturer, in-turn, is dragging their feet, initially refusing then doing the bare minimum to make replacements as I bet Toyota is demanding replacements at reduced or no costs regardless of who is at fault.

These things can get ugly too. Dang lawyers! Lol, jk.
Old 04-25-16, 06:17 PM
satiger
Instructor

Received 90 Likes on 65 Posts

I went through the same ordeal with my 2005 GX. Dash board would start cracking for no reason. In my case, GX has been parked in garage both at home and work place. Initially Lexus refused to repair even though at that time I had platinum warranty. Spoke to Corp and finally agreed to pay for parts and I paid for labor. Many years later, they issued a recall. I am still eligible for labor cost reimbursement. But don't get time to follow through the process

Rhambler, you are correct. During that time many theories were floating from bad design/engineering to bad vendor management. Who knows the actual cause?. Regardless, Lexus should realize such things would tarnish their image.
Old 04-25-16, 06:44 PM
Rhambler
Lexus Test Driver

Yeah, the good specs are typically those that spells everything out based on a certain design criteria. First, the engineer needs to know precisely what he or she wants and the design, material and engineering required to get what they want.

For example:

Good spec:
1. Dashboard material will be this, built to ANSI Standard XYZ or SAE Standard 123.
2. Dashboard cover will be built using this and that. The caveat being that the engineer knows precisely what is needed to maintain the requirements under all known conditions and a certain life criteria.

Bad spec:
1. Dashboard will be built to exhibit XYZ qualities.

I've seen a lot bad specs and you know what, manufacturers aren't dumb, they'll build it to fulfill those requirements and nothing more, interpreting that spec as written without any other considerations.

I don't know if Toyota would allow such a spec, but who knows? It could have been an eager, penny-wise engineer that could have tried to do something with good intentions that ultimately backfired.
Old 04-28-16, 11:48 PM
njumongkol
Rookie

Originally Posted by IStoSC
What door panels are you getting covered? Literally all of ours are toast (pun intended)...
Rear driver.. I wish they would replace all of them.
Old 04-29-16, 06:02 AM
enoch861
Pole Position

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Does this only cover the dashboards? On my '07 I'm not having any issues with it but the side pillars have some odd scuffs/marks on them that I can't fathom how they would have gotten there without someone actively going at them with something sharp. This is both drivers and passenger side pillars on the side facing the front cabin. The portion facing the rear cabin is just fine.
Old 05-12-16, 11:51 AM
krstorfer
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a 2007 LS460. I am the second owner. The dealer said my car was not included in the warranty enhancement. I contacted Lexus corporate and they said they would pay half. My interior is melting away. Any suggestions.
Old 09-06-16, 03:42 PM
spmcg
Driver School Candidate

Default If at first you don't succeed.

Tell the dealership you will be taking your car to another Lexus Dealership, and when they take care of you, you won't have to bother with me in the future.

My 2008 LS 460 Is getting 4 new door panels, glove box, kick plate and center console! Sweet!
Old 09-07-16, 06:16 AM
qtrung909
Intermediate

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Maybe I should mention something the next time I'm at the dealer. My panels show cracks under the coating.
Old 12-22-16, 09:38 PM
stevobentz
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by krstorfer
I have a 2007 LS460. I am the second owner. The dealer said my car was not included in the warranty enhancement. I contacted Lexus corporate and they said they would pay half. My interior is melting away. Any suggestions.

I also have a 2008 with this happening on all 4 door panels. They are all melted, scratched, and discolored away. Can you tell us what you exactly did to get your 2008 covered? Was it certified or still under warranty? My initial thought is the first dealership denied you because your 2008 wasn't in vin range of the 2007 warranty enhancement. Anything you did specifically would be much appreciated!

Also, anyone in Los Angeles find a dealer that successfully got their door panels replaced on out of warranty 08's and up?

Quick Reply: 2007 Dashboard recall / warranty "enhancement"