LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

CPO, but is it really?

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-16, 12:35 PM
comotiger
Pole Position

Received 292 Likes on 251 Posts

Originally Posted by rld14
No problem. I am assuming it's a typical northeast LS460L build... 19s, Levinson, Leather covered steering wheel airbag, semi-aniline leather, etc.. right?

Well... I've sold 3 very similar to it in the past month and I'll be happy to share my sale prices.

All were CPO'd and all had the same build as I mentioned above.

1) Black/Black. 34K miles. $51,995
2) Black/Parch. 9800 miles. $55,400
3) Black/Flaxen 27K miles. $52,995

Oddly enough the 2nd one, the Black over Parchment was the one that sat for 50 days. The other two sold very quickly.

So.. no CPO? Well.. I'd figure that car for.. probably.. $50K retail?
Thanks, rld14, that's very insightful. Dang, why didn't I "consult" with folks on this forum before buying my dream car. I think I overpaid 4-5K for my recent purchase

At the risk of changing the topic of this thread, would you mind estimating the retail price for my vehicle bought from a used car dealership in the Northeast? Thank you!

2014 LS460L AWD, 43000 miles, Obsidian, black leather, 19s, ML, semi-aniline, air suspension, Alcantara, Advanced pre-collision (Dynamic cruise control, Lane Keep Assist, driver attention monitor), Blind Spot Monitoring, Ultra luxury package (reclining rear seats, cool box etc), Exterior 8/10, Interior 8/10, detailed service records every ~5000 miles at Lexus dealership. Clean Carfax and Autocheck (although as this thread tells me that means NOTHING; and I now know that the rear bumper was repainted). I had it inspected at a Lexus dealership before purchase; it received a clean bill but obviously they missed or didn't check the body and paintwork.

Last edited by comotiger; 04-28-16 at 12:43 PM.
Old 04-28-16, 01:12 PM
rld14
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by comotiger
Thanks, rld14, that's very insightful. Dang, why didn't I "consult" with folks on this forum before buying my dream car. I think I overpaid 4-5K for my recent purchase

At the risk of changing the topic of this thread, would you mind estimating the retail price for my vehicle bought from a used car dealership in the Northeast? Thank you!

2014 LS460L AWD, 43000 miles, Obsidian, black leather, 19s, ML, semi-aniline, air suspension, Alcantara, Advanced pre-collision (Dynamic cruise control, Lane Keep Assist, driver attention monitor), Blind Spot Monitoring, Ultra luxury package (reclining rear seats, cool box etc), Exterior 8/10, Interior 8/10, detailed service records every ~5000 miles at Lexus dealership. Clean Carfax and Autocheck (although as this thread tells me that means NOTHING; and I now know that the rear bumper was repainted). I had it inspected at a Lexus dealership before purchase; it received a clean bill but obviously they missed or didn't check the body and paintwork.
First, *_EVERYONE_* has 20/20 hindsight, I know I certainly do.

OK, so you have a really loaded up one.. ULs are tough to price but they can bring moon shots especially in the right color combo.

Wait a second... This thing sold at auction in January, didn't it? Retail on it would likely be around $58-9K assuming it was all there and freshly serviced etc etc. CPO'd probably $62K.

PM me if you wish but I do believe I saw what it sold for,.

Oh, ignore paintwork on bumpers, as long as it's done well I pay it zero attention around here; everything has scuffed bumpers.
Old 04-28-16, 01:34 PM
comotiger
Pole Position

First, *_EVERYONE_* has 20/20 hindsight, I know I certainly do.

OK, so you have a really loaded up one.. ULs are tough to price but they can bring moon shots especially in the right color combo.

Wait a second... This thing sold at auction in January, didn't it? Retail on it would likely be around $58-9K assuming it was all there and freshly serviced etc etc. CPO'd probably $62K.

PM me if you wish but I do believe I saw what it sold for,.

Oh, ignore paintwork on bumpers, as long as it's done well I pay it zero attention around here; everything has scuffed bumpers.
Yes, rld14, this is the one auctioned in Jan 2016. There are not very many of these cars around, maybe 1-2 per month show up on different sites. I paid 60K. Had I known about the bumpers (I started a separate thread for fixing dents), I may have been able to knock off a bit more. Nonetheless, thanks a lot for your estimate. Your dealer friends won't be happy with your sharing this type of information with us! I overpaid a bit but not by too much. Everything runs well and I will get the Platinum VSA soon! Thanks again
Old 04-28-16, 04:48 PM
rld14
Lead Lap

Yes, rld14, this is the one auctioned in Jan 2016. There are not very many of these cars around, maybe 1-2 per month show up on different sites. I paid 60K. Had I known about the bumpers (I started a separate thread for fixing dents), I may have been able to knock off a bit more. Nonetheless, thanks a lot for your estimate. Your dealer friends won't be happy with your sharing this type of information with us! I overpaid a bit but not by too much. Everything runs well and I will get the Platinum VSA soon! Thanks again
Yup ok so you know.

Yes, these suckers are RARE, I'd have bought it had I seen it. I don't think you paid crazy money for it.

I can refer you to the dent guy that I use if need be, he has his own shop in Closter, NJ. Elvin @ Ace of Dents.

NOBODY is better.

Let my dealer friends hate me, I can live with that. I have a bad habit of not having a filter and being transparent.

We sold 107 used cars last month and made a lot of money. Funny how that works, isn't it?
Old 04-28-16, 06:16 PM
comotiger
Pole Position

Yup ok so you know.

Yes, these suckers are RARE, I'd have bought it had I seen it. I don't think you paid crazy money for it.

I can refer you to the dent guy that I use if need be, he has his own shop in Closter, NJ. Elvin @ Ace of Dents.

NOBODY is better.

Let my dealer friends hate me, I can live with that. I have a bad habit of not having a filter and being transparent.

We sold 107 used cars last month and made a lot of money. Funny how that works, isn't it?

Thanks for the dent referral, RLD, but I live in Missouri! I drove a long ways to drive my trade-in (2012 LS) and buy the 2014 LS.

I hear you about doing well. Based on your replies and help here, you are upfront and treat your customers right. No wonder they buy from you. Best wishes, and thanks again for all your insights. It's much appreciated.
Old 04-29-16, 06:26 AM
jasone36
Instructor

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

rld, thanks for your response. I paid a few grand over 50K (non-CPO at non-Lexus dealer)... and that was after a 6 month search.

At the time, it was literally the "best deal" I could find... and I would spend several hours a day searching, over the course of the 6 months.

It was literally impossible to find a nice long-wheel-base model up here in the northeast... most of the one's coming out of the New York City metro area were majorly chewed up (I guess limo companies use them to drive around the high-profile bankers and such).

Again, your insight is much appreciated.

When you do business in a transparent way, you'll definitely reap the rewards, as you well know

All the best!

No problem. I am assuming it's a typical northeast LS460L build... 19s, Levinson, Leather covered steering wheel airbag, semi-aniline leather, etc.. right?

Well... I've sold 3 very similar to it in the past month and I'll be happy to share my sale prices.

All were CPO'd and all had the same build as I mentioned above.

1) Black/Black. 34K miles. $51,995
2) Black/Parch. 9800 miles. $55,400
3) Black/Flaxen 27K miles. $52,995

Oddly enough the 2nd one, the Black over Parchment was the one that sat for 50 days. The other two sold very quickly.

So.. no CPO? Well.. I'd figure that car for.. probably.. $50K retail?
Old 04-29-16, 08:35 AM
rld14
Lead Lap

Thanks for the kind words guys!

Jason, they are tough... I only moved 3 of them this month because I got my grubby mitts on the cars, I got lucky and 4 came in, 1 had a bad Carfax so I passed on it.

But yes, they're rare, if I could I would happily keep 4-5 in ground stock. My problem with inventory is sourcing it; selling the right car is quite easy if you price it correctly.
Old 04-29-16, 09:21 AM
comotiger
Pole Position

Originally Posted by jasone36
It was literally impossible to find a nice long-wheel-base model up here in the northeast... most of the one's coming out of the New York City metro area were majorly chewed up (I guess limo companies use them to drive around the high-profile bankers and such).
My car was corporate-owned, so it was surely a limo. It was serviced at Manhattan Lexus regularly and it was maintained pretty well. There were no undercarriage or other mechanical issues in PPI. Only possible red flag is it had three alignments performed for 40,000 miles (maybe normal for limo cars), and needed an alignment upon PPI, which I did at my local dealer. I hope this does not become a major concern.
Old 04-29-16, 09:21 AM
Gbp
Lexus Champion

Received 60 Likes on 56 Posts

rid14, thanks very much for your contributions and patiently answering questions. Which brings me to my question...

I purchased a 2010 CPO LS460 last year. It had about 61.6K miles. After almost a year, the mileage is now almost 72K. At the time of purchase, I bought a CPO wrap, extending the coverage to 5 years, but leading the cap at 100K miles. I now realize I will be driving the car more miles per year than I had estimated, and that I should have paid extra to bump the mileage cap to 125K miles.

My question is: can I effectively replace my CPO wrap with the higher mileage one. When buying the car, the finance manager said I had until the expiration of the CPO coverage to buy the wrap, but the longer I waited to do so, the more it would cost. I was also told that once I selected a CPO wrap, that was it: no subsequent purchases of a wrap would be allowed.

This kind of makes sense to me, yet it would be great if I had the option to retroactively replace my current CPO wrap with one that has the 125K mile cap.

Please let me know whether I can accomplish getting the higher mileage cap, and if so, how. Thanks!
Old 04-29-16, 10:11 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,519 Likes on 1,817 Posts

My car was corporate-owned, so it was surely a limo. It was serviced at Manhattan Lexus regularly and it was maintained pretty well. There were no undercarriage or other mechanical issues in PPI. Only possible red flag is it had three alignments performed for 40,000 miles (maybe normal for limo cars), and needed an alignment upon PPI, which I did at my local dealer. I hope this does not become a major concern.
I would not automatically assume that it was a limo. If something is leased through a company it shows up as a corporate vehicle. For instance my LS shows up as a "corporate vehicle" because its a business lease.

Alignments in 40k miles is probably par for the course in Manhattan.
Old 04-29-16, 11:41 AM
aeggroup
Rookie

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I just bought 2010 LS460 and it was corporate-owned. When I looked at the title - the owner was a revocable trust. So a corporate ownership does not necessarily mean limo company.
Old 04-29-16, 12:08 PM
comotiger
Pole Position

Originally Posted by SW15LS
I would not automatically assume that it was a limo. If something is leased through a company it shows up as a corporate vehicle. For instance my LS shows up as a "corporate vehicle" because its a business lease.
Originally Posted by aeggroup
I just bought 2010 LS460 and it was corporate-owned. When I looked at the title - the owner was a revocable trust. So a corporate ownership does not necessarily mean limo company.
I stand corrected. My vehicle has reclining rear seats, cool box, was bought and serviced at Manhattan Lexus and driven for 40K in 23 months. These facts suggest it was used as a limo.
Old 04-29-16, 12:33 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,519 Likes on 1,817 Posts

If it were a limo in NYC I would expect more mileage than that...
Old 04-29-16, 01:02 PM
jasone36
Instructor

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

With that mileage over the course of 23 months in Manhattan, it's likely the "hardest" 40K miles a car ever's seen... outside of places like Syria and Somalia, of course

I stand corrected. My vehicle has reclining rear seats, cool box, was bought and serviced at Manhattan Lexus and driven for 40K in 23 months. These facts suggest it was used as a limo.
Old 04-29-16, 01:06 PM
rld14
Lead Lap

Most leased cars in NY state show corporate, I wouldn't worry too much about that. If it was used as a for hire Limo you'd see a Taxi history on the carfax. Anyhow, The roads here are brutal, annual alignments are normal.

Where in MO? My family lived in West St Louis county for 10 years.

Quick Reply: CPO, but is it really?