LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

CPO, but is it really?

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-16, 07:56 AM
jasone36
Instructor

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Sounds like the kind of Lexus dealership I'd want to give my business to.

Originally Posted by rld14
I'm a Used Car Manager at a Lexus store.

You CANNOT CPO a Lexus that's had more than 3 panels (bumpers excepted) repainted.

Period.

So that car should have never been CPO'd. Period. End of story.

I will NOT CPO a car that has had any evidence of actual collision damage either (regardless of what the Carfax says).

As far as VSAs go... Lexus changed the L/Certified program, you can now add up to 5 years of additional coverage.
Old 04-26-16, 07:56 AM
CJITTY

Received 146 Likes on 109 Posts

I'm a Used Car Manager at a Lexus store.

You CANNOT CPO a Lexus that's had more than 3 panels (bumpers excepted) repainted.

Period.

So that car should have never been CPO'd. Period. End of story.

I will NOT CPO a car that has had any evidence of actual collision damage either (regardless of what the Carfax says).

As far as VSAs go... Lexus changed the L/Certified program, you can now add up to 5 years of additional coverage.
Welp...I have really no way to go after the dealership since I don't even have the car anymore but this post you made proves exactly why you need to have the car independently inspected regardless of CPO feel good stamp.
Old 04-26-16, 05:41 PM
rld14
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by CJITTY
Welp...I have really no way to go after the dealership since I don't even have the car anymore but this post you made proves exactly why you need to have the car independently inspected regardless of CPO feel good stamp.
Sadly, yes, you're correct. Reminds me of a story....

About 7 years ago I was the used car manager at a Toyota store in NY. I got in a very clean looking, 28K mile 2005 RAV4. Now, normally this would be a home run car for us and we would CPO it.

Except that this car had been cracked in the front. HARD. The entire left front corner of this thing was new; frame rail, inner fender, radiator support, hood, fender, etc. It had also blown its' airbags.

The CARFAX? Clean.

Now, this was structural damage and no way in heck was I CPOing this car or even selling it. I think at the time typical wholesale/trade in was around $12K for it and I think I gave the customer $8500 or 9000 and they were fine with that as it had been clubbed and they knew it. The owner was honest, told us it was in a serious accident that happened when it was almost new and it was just shy of being totaled.

So I sent it to Southern Auto Auction in CT. It crosses the block, I announce Frame/Unibody damage. A guy come up to the podium, asks how the Carfax was, I mention that it's clean...

This thing brings, IMO, stupid money, just shy of $11K.

Buyer? A Toyota store in New England. The underbidder? ANOTHER Toyota store.

2 weeks later I check their website? It's on there as a Toyota Certified Used Vehicle.
Old 04-26-16, 07:13 PM
litesoarer
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

About 7 years ago I was the used car manager at a Toyota store in NY. I got in a very clean looking, 28K mile 2005 RAV4. Now, normally this would be a home run car for us and we would CPO it.

Except that this car had been cracked in the front. HARD. The entire left front corner of this thing was new; frame rail, inner fender, radiator support, hood, fender, etc. It had also blown its' airbags.

The CARFAX? Clean.

Now, this was structural damage and no way in heck was I CPOing this car or even selling it. I think at the time typical wholesale/trade in was around $12K for it and I think I gave the customer $8500 or 9000 and they were fine with that as it had been clubbed and they knew it. The owner was honest, told us it was in a serious accident that happened when it was almost new and it was just shy of being totaled.

So I sent it to Southern Auto Auction in CT. It crosses the block, I announce Frame/Unibody damage. A guy come up to the podium, asks how the Carfax was, I mention that it's clean...

2 weeks later I check their website? It's on there as a Toyota Certified Used Vehicle.
Is there a process to call them out? Anonymously?
Old 04-27-16, 07:52 AM
jasone36
Instructor

Great insight. Very interesting thread.

Here's a question I had always been thinking...

Let's imagine that someone leases a high-end vehicle (like the Lexus LS) for a 3 year term.

Then during the lease, they get into a MAJOR accident, but the car is not totaled (maybe because it was nearly new when the accident occurred), and the car is repaired "to proper specifications". The CarFax is noted accordingly, showing the accident.

At the end of the lease, the car is returned to the dealership. Obviously, the car is now worth much less due to the very serious accident it was in.

Here's the question:

Considering this was a lease return, does Lexus "eat" the depreciation in value (from the accident), or is the lessee somehow held financially responsible for the now much-lower resale value of the car he turned in?
Old 04-27-16, 08:16 AM
CJITTY

The CARFAX? Clean.

Wow...just wow. That is unreal but totally believable. I actually feel much better about my purchase from a private owner at this point. I have a high end warranty as well and still ahead of the game (book value wise)
Old 04-27-16, 09:15 AM
rld14
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by litesoarer
Is there a process to call them out? Anonymously?
I don't recall specifically but I *_THINK_* they were in Southern New Hampshire.
Old 04-27-16, 09:17 AM
rld14
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by jasone36
Great insight. Very interesting thread.

Here's a question I had always been thinking...

Let's imagine that someone leases a high-end vehicle (like the Lexus LS) for a 3 year term.

Then during the lease, they get into a MAJOR accident, but the car is not totaled (maybe because it was nearly new when the accident occurred), and the car is repaired "to proper specifications". The CarFax is noted accordingly, showing the accident.

At the end of the lease, the car is returned to the dealership. Obviously, the car is now worth much less due to the very serious accident it was in.

Here's the question:

Considering this was a lease return, does Lexus "eat" the depreciation in value (from the accident), or is the lessee somehow held financially responsible for the now much-lower resale value of the car he turned in?
Yup and it's one of the best reasons TO lease.

As long as it's fixed correctly the lessee doesn't take a hit at all. Funny you mention that... recently had a 2014 LS460L come back with a dirty carfax and a GS350 F-Sport with airbag deployment history (Which wasn't on the Carfax at the time BTW).

At 9:30 this morning I took in a beautiful 2014 ES350 in off lease. 3,886 miles. Also dirty Carfax and airbag deployment history.

None of these people will take the hit.

That ES? Worth $19-20K IMO. Lexus Financial is going to eat it.
Old 04-27-16, 09:25 AM
rld14
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by CJITTY
Wow...just wow. That is unreal but totally believable. I actually feel much better about my purchase from a private owner at this point. I have a high end warranty as well and still ahead of the game (book value wise)
It depends on the car. After almost 21 years in the business some of the worst screw jobs that I have ever seen have come from private party sales, you have to be very careful to avoid curbstoners as well.

It amazes me how people will come in, spend $20, 30, 40, 50, 60, 70,000 on a used car and worry about an extra set of floor mats more than the history and underlying condition of the car.

I have a pretty serious stamp collection, I won't buy a cover for more than, say, $1,000 without a certificate or the right to get one and yet people never get 3rd party inspections on cars costing exponentially more... I mean we move 100 used cars a month and MAYBE it happens once every 3 months.
Old 04-27-16, 10:02 AM
CJITTY

It depends on the car. After almost 21 years in the business some of the worst screw jobs that I have ever seen have come from private party sales, you have to be very careful to avoid curbstoners as well.

It amazes me how people will come in, spend $20, 30, 40, 50, 60, 70,000 on a used car and worry about an extra set of floor mats more than the history and underlying condition of the car.

I have a pretty serious stamp collection, I won't buy a cover for more than, say, $1,000 without a certificate or the right to get one and yet people never get 3rd party inspections on cars costing exponentially more... I mean we move 100 used cars a month and MAYBE it happens once every 3 months.
Strictly referencing my current experience vs my previous CPO purchase. It's all case by case
Old 04-27-16, 01:22 PM
comotiger
Pole Position

Received 292 Likes on 251 Posts

The CARFAX? Clean.
How did you learn of the car's accident history? By checking with the insurance company? But then the accident would have been reported.

Does this mean the accident was not reported or it was removed from the Carfax database? I can see how something wasn't reported, but can something be taken off Carfax? What is the use of checking Carfax or Autocheck then, if they are not reliable? It's sobering to know that there is no alternative to the PPI whether buying CPO or from a used car dealer.
Old 04-27-16, 01:37 PM
aeggroup
Rookie

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

[QUOTE=comotiger;9464087 It's sobering to know that there is no alternative to the PPI whether buying CPO or from a used car dealer.[/QUOTE]

I can tell from my own experience with previously owned cars. My 2011 GL350 and 2013 GL450 ( Both MB's) were involved in accidents and were fixed at location, which is authorized by my insurance company. When I was selling them and bought a Carfax to attach to my ad - both of carfaxes were showing no accident history.
Old 04-27-16, 05:09 PM
rld14
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by comotiger
How did you learn of the car's accident history? By checking with the insurance company? But then the accident would have been reported.

Does this mean the accident was not reported or it was removed from the Carfax database? I can see how something wasn't reported, but can something be taken off Carfax? What is the use of checking Carfax or Autocheck then, if they are not reliable? It's sobering to know that there is no alternative to the PPI whether buying CPO or from a used car dealer.
How did I know it was damaged? I looked at the car. Generally, in the sun, I can spot most paintwork from several car lengths. Not to sound cocky but, well, I have a really good eye for it and I have only missed previous repairs once or twice in over 20 years. Once the hood was open it was obvious that it had been hit and hit HARD.

Why wasn't it on the Carfax report? Myriad of reasons.... Accident might have happened in a jurisdiction that doesn't report to Carfax, might not have been reported to the police, who knows?

Carfax does NOT catch everything! And I've seen plenty of cars with NO paintwork and bad Carfaxes.

Errors can be removed from Carfax reports, I do it all the time (We just sold a CPO'd 450h that my service manager accidentally keyed in at 4,900 miles instead of 9,400 miles.. clerical error) but a legit problem? Nope.

AutoCheck catches more stuff than Carfax anyhow, but people want to see the Carfax.

Carfax is a good tool, but it is just that, a tool. NOTHING is infallible and nothing should replace proper due diligence and running a history report is no substitute for a proper inspection. If people want to take one of my cars to their mechanic, go for it, I have nothing to hide... In fact, when I sell an AS-IS car I encourage it.
Old 04-28-16, 07:26 AM
jasone36
Instructor

rld14, thank you very much for contributing to the forum.

Your insider knowledge is invaluable.

Last month I purchased an LS (finally), and out of curiosity, I'm wondering how a professional (like you) would price this vehicle, in the current retail market:

2013 LS460L AWD, Black/Black, under 30K miles, no air suspension (but every other option, including Mark Levinson Audio, Alcantara interior, etc), exterior 9/10, interior 8/10, clean carfax, full dealer service history, and balance of factory warranty.

I did not buy it from a Lexus dealer, thus it wasn't CPO'd, so I'm wondering how you would price it for the retail customer.

Thank you in advance, RLD, for any insight.
Old 04-28-16, 08:59 AM
rld14
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by jasone36
rld14, thank you very much for contributing to the forum.

Your insider knowledge is invaluable.

Last month I purchased an LS (finally), and out of curiosity, I'm wondering how a professional (like you) would price this vehicle, in the current retail market:

2013 LS460L AWD, Black/Black, under 30K miles, no air suspension (but every other option, including Mark Levinson Audio, Alcantara interior, etc), exterior 9/10, interior 8/10, clean carfax, full dealer service history, and balance of factory warranty.

I did not buy it from a Lexus dealer, thus it wasn't CPO'd, so I'm wondering how you would price it for the retail customer.

Thank you in advance, RLD, for any insight.
No problem. I am assuming it's a typical northeast LS460L build... 19s, Levinson, Leather covered steering wheel airbag, semi-aniline leather, etc.. right?

Well... I've sold 3 very similar to it in the past month and I'll be happy to share my sale prices.

All were CPO'd and all had the same build as I mentioned above.

1) Black/Black. 34K miles. $51,995
2) Black/Parch. 9800 miles. $55,400
3) Black/Flaxen 27K miles. $52,995

Oddly enough the 2nd one, the Black over Parchment was the one that sat for 50 days. The other two sold very quickly.

So.. no CPO? Well.. I'd figure that car for.. probably.. $50K retail?

Quick Reply: CPO, but is it really?