LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

CPO, but is it really?

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-16, 06:00 PM
dlbuckls10
Racer

Received 96 Likes on 80 Posts

Good news and glad you got your rims repaired.
Old 01-08-17, 05:56 PM
ccbcc
Rookie

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default recent CPO buying experience

I wish that I had read this thread before buying a 2015 LS460 F sport recently.

The car had only 11K miles and was priced in mid 50K. I thought it was a great deal and bought it after spending less than 30mins test driving it (my reasoning was that I would get 4.5 years of warranty -- 2.5 regular + 2 extra years of CPO warranty).

After registering the car on lexus.com, I found that the car's rear bumper, Pillar B, and windshield were repaired in the dealership that sold the car to me. The repairs were done about 2 months before the sale. The car has clean carfax nevertheless. Is there any recourse at the point? The sale took place about 2 weeks again.

Before negotiating the final sale price, I asked the dealer to give me a full copy of the service record, but the (sly) salesman maintained that the service record could only be printed for owners.

BTW, the car had the brake pad squeal and the dealer replaced it after purchase.
Old 01-08-17, 07:59 PM
Wandl
Lexus Test Driver

Received 73 Likes on 51 Posts

ccbcc sorry to hear that; now what do you mean by "repaired". Replaced is one thing, but repaired could be touch up paint or filling in a windshield crack which are normal reconditioning efforts.

Lexus nor any other manufacturer does not guarantee an accident free vehicle to meet CPO guidelines, merely it is a Carfax clean history in most cases. Where Lexus *usually* stands out is the dealership reputation to own the issues and work to resolve them with you. I've bought CPO Honda's & Toyota's in the past where there was blatant clear overspray but the dealer did point out it had a clean Carfax and they were not legally misleading me, I didn't have a leg to stand on. Neither the Honda/Toyota dealer cared to do much more; however from various CPO stories here on ClubLexus, Lexus dealerships will try to resolve things over & above regular car brands.

I'd raise your concern with the car salesperson and the general manager; $50k is not chump change and you should have expected the truth especially since the repairs were done at the dealership you bought it from. I'm not a lawyer but I'm not sure you'd have any legal recourse even if this was 1 hour after the sale based on prior physical damage.

Just as a comparison (I'm here in Dallas), reputable dealers such as Sewell and Park Place here in the area have many CPO vehicles and some of them do have repairs on lexus.com but still meet CPO criterias.
Old 01-09-17, 06:32 AM
ccbcc
Rookie

@Wandl: the details from the service history are scarce. The current wording is just "repair" without further elaboration.

Originally Posted by Wandl
ccbcc sorry to hear that; now what do you mean by "repaired". Replaced is one thing, but repaired could be touch up paint or filling in a windshield crack which are normal reconditioning efforts.

Lexus nor any other manufacturer does not guarantee an accident free vehicle to meet CPO guidelines, merely it is a Carfax clean history in most cases. Where Lexus *usually* stands out is the dealership reputation to own the issues and work to resolve them with you. I've bought CPO Honda's & Toyota's in the past where there was blatant clear overspray but the dealer did point out it had a clean Carfax and they were not legally misleading me, I didn't have a leg to stand on. Neither the Honda/Toyota dealer cared to do much more; however from various CPO stories here on ClubLexus, Lexus dealerships will try to resolve things over & above regular car brands.

I'd raise your concern with the car salesperson and the general manager; $50k is not chump change and you should have expected the truth especially since the repairs were done at the dealership you bought it from. I'm not a lawyer but I'm not sure you'd have any legal recourse even if this was 1 hour after the sale based on prior physical damage.

Just as a comparison (I'm here in Dallas), reputable dealers such as Sewell and Park Place here in the area have many CPO vehicles and some of them do have repairs on lexus.com but still meet CPO criterias.
Old 01-09-17, 07:49 AM
droclex
Pit Crew

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by ccbcc
I wish that I had read this thread before buying a 2015 LS460 F sport recently.

The car had only 11K miles and was priced in mid 50K. I thought it was a great deal and bought it after spending less than 30mins test driving it (my reasoning was that I would get 4.5 years of warranty -- 2.5 regular + 2 extra years of CPO warranty).

After registering the car on lexus.com, I found that the car's rear bumper, Pillar B, and windshield were repaired in the dealership that sold the car to me. The repairs were done about 2 months before the sale. The car has clean carfax nevertheless. Is there any recourse at the point? The sale took place about 2 weeks again.

Before negotiating the final sale price, I asked the dealer to give me a full copy of the service record, but the (sly) salesman maintained that the service record could only be printed for owners.

BTW, the car had the brake pad squeal and the dealer replaced it after purchase.
The service department could/should offer more information on the nature of those repairs. If they represent a serious accident that you feel was deceptively concealed, you certainly could file a complaint against the dealership with your state's attorney general:

http://www.ct.gov/ag/cwp/view.asp?a=2093&q=555702

When they intervene, they can work to reverse the sale. In Illinois, I believe you have 30 days to contest a vehicle purchase. Not sure if the laws are the same in your state, but it can't hurt to check, especially if you can substantiate your case. Not everyone realizes you can pull a Lexus' service history on your own from the driver's website. Best of luck to you!
Old 01-10-17, 12:18 PM
aypues
Instructor

Received 56 Likes on 44 Posts

For future research and purchases, you can look up ANY Lexus model's service history if you have its VIN # at: www.lexusdrivers.com
The salesman is a liar.
Old 01-10-17, 05:54 PM
ccbcc
Rookie

Thanks everyone for offering to help!

Today I called the service dept and got a copy of the service record performed at the dealership from which I bought the car. The services done in the dealership matched what found from lexus.com (one feeds the other after all). After securing the record, I called again and asked to talk to the service advisor found on the service record. After I told him that I have a few questions about past services, he promptly interrupted me and referred me to the sales person. I then talked to the sales person about the windshield, rear bumper and B-pillar repair. He said that all of them were minor: bumper repair was a painting job and it cost about a little over 200 bucks; windshield repair was probably a chip or crack -- the cost was about $99; B-pillar repair was done inside and was for leather/upholstery and the price tag was in $170 or so. All repairs were performed on the day when certification was performed, or within one or 2 days after that.

The above is an indirect quote of what the salesperson told me. If all are true, then none is a major concern.

One oddity I found is that all other services done at the certification day had a price, including replacing the wiper blades and adding a tank of gas in the service record I received, but the 3 repairs only had a very brief phrase "[X] repair" without the price tag and without the long description of the problems.

The car was in our possession in the last 2 weeks and we enjoyed it very much, so we don't have intention to forsake the ownership unless there is hard evidence that it had been wrecked in the past.
Old 01-10-17, 06:24 PM
greg3852
Lexus Test Driver

Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts

I wouldn't be concerned about it. Plenty of times the vehicles are owned by older folks who sometimes back into things causing scratches and minor dings. Enjoy the car!!
Old 01-10-17, 10:11 PM
Gbp
Lexus Champion

Received 60 Likes on 56 Posts

Thanks everyone for offering to help!

Today I called the service dept and got a copy of the service record performed at the dealership from which I bought the car. The services done in the dealership matched what found from lexus.com (one feeds the other after all). After securing the record, I called again and asked to talk to the service advisor found on the service record. After I told him that I have a few questions about past services, he promptly interrupted me and referred me to the sales person. I then talked to the sales person about the windshield, rear bumper and B-pillar repair. He said that all of them were minor: bumper repair was a painting job and it cost about a little over 200 bucks; windshield repair was probably a chip or crack -- the cost was about $99; B-pillar repair was done inside and was for leather/upholstery and the price tag was in $170 or so. All repairs were performed on the day when certification was performed, or within one or 2 days after that.

The above is an indirect quote of what the salesperson told me. If all are true, then none is a major concern.

One oddity I found is that all other services done at the certification day had a price, including replacing the wiper blades and adding a tank of gas in the service record I received, but the 3 repairs only had a very brief phrase "[X] repair" without the price tag and without the long description of the problems.

The car was in our possession in the last 2 weeks and we enjoyed it very much, so we don't have intention to forsake the ownership unless there is hard evidence that it had been wrecked in the past.
If you're curious, you might want to try to get a copy of the completed CPO inspection form for the vehicle. I think you're actually entitled to that kind of written information as part of the documentation for the sale, but this is just a guess. Note that there is a customer signature space on the form:

http://www.lexus.com/documents/broch...t-brochure.pdf

Referring service questions back to the salesperson seems questionable to me.