LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

CPO, but is it really?

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-16, 06:58 AM
Chuckinnj
Advanced

Received 76 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by Stereorob
I work at a dealership and although other places may half-*** CPO cars, mine doesn't. they really do the 160 point inspection, we have the car under testing for almost a week. every single inch of the car is gone over with a fine toothed comb. if there is anything, and I mean ANYTHING funny about the car they will not certify it.

hell, when you buy CPO, you get the better deal! much less than original price, plus you get all the services a new lexus owner gets and a warranty with more miles! tough to beat that
EXACTLY! ^^^^^ Like I said in my other replies, the CPO car is a great deal IF you deal with a dealer who does the CPO process the correct way and "knows" the history of the car (EG: Sold and serviced it) I am very happy with my CPO car and feel it was a good deal...... However I did see a lot of crappy CPO cars at other dealerships. Again! Buyer beware!!
Old 04-22-16, 07:37 AM
droclex
Pit Crew

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

In trying to find the right CPO LS, I spent the last two years interacting with many many dealerships throughout the midwest, including Illinois, Indiana, Wisconsin, Michigan, Ohio, Iowa, etc.. During this prolonged search I examined at least 50 different cars - some in person, many on paper - and observed that CPO standards vary dramatically from one dealer to the next, despite the general corporate rubric established by Lexus HQ. For instance, there are 3 LS's in my area that are being sold as CPO's and have accidents named either in their carfax or in the fine print of their service histories, not to mention one of them with a complete repaint (from gray to white, then back to gray again). And mind you that these are vehicles with accidents/extensive repaint formally documented in one way or another. Many cars out their have had damage but the incident never made its way to the vehicle's service history, carfax or autocheck. We all know how that goes..

With any CPO sale, an individual dealer can explain away their justification for why a car received CPO status and only be reprimanded for selling a damaged or severely flawed example if the buyer decides to lodge a complaint with the attorney general (at least that is the case in Illinois) or takes action with their own private attorney. Even then restitution is not guaranteed. If you already bought it and then learn the car has not met the CPO standards (was in an accident, etc.), you may be in for a long and uncomfortable legal ride. Legally speaking, it's still yours and was "still a used car purchase" in the eyes of many whom generally uphold the caveat emptor principle, CPO notwithstanding. Lemon laws also do not apply.

All of this is not to say that all dealers are exploiting a lack of oversight with and inconsistency in CPO standards. I don't think my experience is anecdotal, though admittedly it is limited in scope. As another member mentioned, his dealership honors the criteria meticulously and that is great; we hope that there are many others doing the same. Nevertheless, and especially when it comes to the casual, uninformed buyer, it is relatively easy to pass off a crappy car as CPO, even if it doesn't meet the corporate standards. Bottom line: it is imperative to conduct a PPI before purchase for complete peace of mind. And if the dealer resists your doing so, I would strongly recommend walking away.

Last edited by droclex; 04-22-16 at 07:59 AM.
Old 04-22-16, 08:40 AM
Wandl
Lexus Test Driver

Received 73 Likes on 51 Posts

Ditto - it really depends on the dealership (filter test 1) and the actual vehicle itself (filter test 2).

I've found a CPO LS vehicle here in the Dallas area several months back here sold by Sewell (great brand in the area), though it did show an accident. Lexus certification never guarantees an accident-free vehicle, and who knows this may have been a minor bumper damage type...but PPI for these vehicles really should take place.

Some dealers (Beepi, Autonation etc.) allows buybacks of new/used vehicles after a specific amount of time, which gives the new owner flexibility to get the PPI done afterwards. I've kicked myself in the rear many times by not having a PPI done then finding out afterwards of the issues...

Don't be fooled by the CPO status as not all things are warranty-able, and don't be lulled by the Lexus logo on the dealership building. Everyone's got to make a buck.
Old 04-22-16, 09:14 AM
Chuckinnj
Advanced

Received 76 Likes on 59 Posts

Another quick thing to look for is "IF" the CPO car had a prepaid Lexus service plan and was serviced at the selling dealer, also ask to see what was done at the service......... All this info will be shared, so just ask to see it.
Old 04-22-16, 09:24 AM
litesoarer
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Chuckinnj
Another quick thing to look for is "IF" the CPO car had a prepaid Lexus service plan and was serviced at the selling dealer, also ask to see what was done at the service......... All this info will be shared, so just ask to see it.
VIN on Lexus Drivers.
Old 04-23-16, 05:49 AM
CJITTY

Received 146 Likes on 109 Posts

I agree with others in the fact the CPO came with the standard 3yr/100k warranty which was great..because I racked up around $13k in warranty repairs. But, had I sold the car to someone that actually would have done an inspection, there is no way I would have received the offer I did and that's when it would impact me down the road because I didn't know about the repaint. So again, use paint meters if you have one or learn how to use one..I will do that going forward but it's also worth having a private inspector with no affiliation to seller to really tell you what you are getting into.
Old 04-23-16, 01:54 PM
Gbp
Lexus Champion

Received 60 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by Chuckinnj
Great idea. In retrospect, I should have done this...

Originally Posted by litesoarer
VIN on Lexus Drivers.
The online service information is e extremely useful and makes investigating the car's service history much easier, assuming most or all services were performed at a Lexus or Toyota dealer, but the online information tends to summarize the information, not provide verbatim details. Seeing copies of the actual service records can be much more informative, and could lead to follow-up questions that might not have occurred if just the online service records were used.

Similarly, a thorough, independent inspection can provide useful information for following up on and/or price negotiation one of this is foolproof when trying to predict whether or not a used car purchase will result in a reliable car, but said precautions increase the chances of buying a reliable car.

I agree that a CPO car is no guarantee of reliability or even the integrity of a Lexus dealer, but it provides peace of mind and potentially is financially worthwhile.

I'm not a DIY'er and and am pretty happy with my local Lexus dealer's customer service. If I'm going to have free work done on my car, feeling a bit pampered is a nice bonus.
Old 04-25-16, 06:26 AM
jasone36
Instructor

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

This is a stupid question... but does "CPO warranty" cover anything that the standard "new car warranty" doesn't?

I understand that obviously you get a much longer warranty period... but is anything "additional" covered beyond the standard 4 year 50K mile warranty coverage?

I've been pretty happy with the 4 year 50K mile warranty coverage on my LS460... but that'll run out before I know it.
Old 04-25-16, 06:32 AM
caha14
Racer

Received 74 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by jasone36
This is a stupid question... but does "CPO warranty" cover anything that the standard "new car warranty" doesn't?

I understand that obviously you get a much longer warranty period... but is anything "additional" covered beyond the standard 4 year 50K mile warranty coverage?

I've been pretty happy with the 4 year 50K mile warranty coverage on my LS460... but that'll run out before I know it.
No, it does not cover additional items. In fact, it covers less: things like batteries, trim issues (e.g., leather cracking), rattles, etc. are not covered as in the 4/50 warranty. CPO warranty is, practically verbatim, the same as the Platinum VSA (extended warranty) that you could add to your car. So, it's basically another way to extend a car's warranty, with a bit more flexibility in the sense that a car that's up to 6 years old can be certified, and a factory VSA must be purchased while the 4/50 warranty is in effect.

In my case, I have a 2010 LS purchased CPO in 2014. It came with a 3-yr CPO, which I paid to extend to a total (maximum, at the time) of 6 years. So, my car will be under warranty through 2020. If I had bought it independently and purchased a VSA (like I did with my 460 years earlier), I could've only gone as far as 2018.

Last edited by caha14; 04-25-16 at 06:38 AM.
Old 04-25-16, 07:14 AM
jasone36
Instructor

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Thanks for the insight, caha.

Originally Posted by caha14
No, it does not cover additional items. In fact, it covers less: things like batteries, trim issues (e.g., leather cracking), rattles, etc. are not covered as in the 4/50 warranty. CPO warranty is, practically verbatim, the same as the Platinum VSA (extended warranty) that you could add to your car. So, it's basically another way to extend a car's warranty, with a bit more flexibility in the sense that a car that's up to 6 years old can be certified, and a factory VSA must be purchased while

the 4/50 warranty is in effect.

In my case, I have a 2010 LS purchased CPO in 2014. It came with a 3-yr CPO, which I paid to extend to a total (maximum, at the time) of 6 years. So, my car will be under warranty through 2020. If I had bought it independently and purchased a VSA (like I did with my 460 years earlier), I could've only gone as far as 2018.
Old 04-25-16, 11:00 AM
comotiger
Pole Position

Received 292 Likes on 251 Posts

I recall on another thread that you could have purchased a Platinum VSA before your 3 year CPO ran out (sometime in 2017). Since you have a CPO car, you could have purchased a 8 year unlimited mileage VSA (~$3700) that would have covered you until 2025 for unlimited miles. The poster on that thread indicated clearly that the VSA warranty would add on at the end of the CPO period, and not from the time of first purchase.

I am nearing the end of the 4y/50K new car warranty on the used 2014 LWB I bought two months ago. I am planning to get the 8y/125K Platinum VSA, which will cover me thru 2022 and an additional 75K. While this thread has highlighted many issues with CPO cars, the warranty benefits of buying CPO are awesome.
Old 04-25-16, 11:22 AM
comotiger
Pole Position

No, it does not cover additional items. In fact, it covers less: things like batteries, trim issues (e.g., leather cracking), rattles, etc. are not covered as in the 4/50 warranty. CPO warranty is, practically verbatim, the same as the Platinum VSA (extended warranty) that you could add to your car. So, it's basically another way to extend a car's warranty, with a bit more flexibility in the sense that a car that's up to 6 years old can be certified, and a factory VSA must be purchased while the 4/50 warranty is in effect.
Are the air suspension components a covered warranty item in the Platinum VSA? It appears to be included in the covered items list, but there is also an exclusion for wear and tear items. I have seen many posters discuss the air suspension as a wear-and-tear item, making me wonder....
Old 04-25-16, 01:46 PM
CJITTY

Received 146 Likes on 109 Posts

Originally Posted by comotiger
Are the air suspension components a covered warranty item in the Platinum VSA? It appears to be included in the covered items list, but there is also an exclusion for wear and tear items. I have seen many posters discuss the air suspension as a wear-and-tear item, making me wonder....
Yes it does, I had two front air struts with actuators replaced. $4K job
Old 04-25-16, 02:29 PM
comotiger
Pole Position

Originally Posted by CJITTY
Yes it does, I had two front air struts with actuators replaced. $4K job
Thanks, that's very reassuring to know! Since the Lexus dealer did the repairs, I assume they replaced with OEM struts: I have read posts saying how some aftermarket air struts are much better.
Old 04-26-16, 07:41 AM
rld14
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm a Used Car Manager at a Lexus store.

You CANNOT CPO a Lexus that's had more than 3 panels (bumpers excepted) repainted.

Period.

So that car should have never been CPO'd. Period. End of story.

I will NOT CPO a car that has had any evidence of actual collision damage either (regardless of what the Carfax says).

As far as VSAs go... Lexus changed the L/Certified program, you can now add up to 5 years of additional coverage.

Quick Reply: CPO, but is it really?