LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Squeaky Rear

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-16, 08:09 AM
Scrutator
Pole Position

Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts
Default Squeaky Rear

The rear suspension on my 2013 F Sport AWD with 27,000 miles has started to squeak slightly. It doesn't do it all the time but is audible from within the car even with the stereo at low volume. When the road is smooth it's quiet but it'll squeak on even slightly uneven pavement.

Of course the F Sport has air suspension. I haven't experimented with the different ride settings or height adjustment yet but it is audible in Normal mode.

Will try to take it to the dealer next week but wondering what I might expect.

Last edited by Scrutator; 04-21-16 at 12:49 PM.
Old 04-22-16, 08:46 AM
caha14
Racer

Received 74 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by Scrutator
The rear suspension on my 2013 F Sport AWD with 27,000 miles has started to squeak slightly. It doesn't do it all the time but is audible from within the car even with the stereo at low volume. When the road is smooth it's quiet but it'll squeak on even slightly uneven pavement.

Of course the F Sport has air suspension. I haven't experimented with the different ride settings or height adjustment yet but it is audible in Normal mode.

Will try to take it to the dealer next week but wondering what I might expect.
Curious/not sure if it's the air suspension, necessarily, as the noise from the most common/documented failure mode has been in the form of "clunking" as opposed to squeaking (though I did have a little bit of squeaking from a strut in the 460). Do you know for sure it's from the rear? I ask because squeaking, especially at slow speeds, has more commonly been from bushings (my 460 used to sound like Uncle Jesse's F150 driving slowly on my driveway).
Old 04-22-16, 09:15 AM
Scrutator
Pole Position

Yeah, I was tempted to say that it sounds like an old pick-up truck but it's not that loud and there is no "clunking." It seems to be more noticeable when it's warm. I didn't hear it at all on my way to work this morning when it was cool.

My perception is that it's coming from the rear. I'd say I'm about 80% certain of it. I've made an appointment with the dealer for Monday so we'll see.
Old 04-22-16, 09:59 AM
dlbuckls10
Racer

Received 96 Likes on 80 Posts

Interesting and keep us posted.
Old 04-22-16, 10:52 AM
caha14
Racer

Yeah, I was tempted to say that it sounds like an old pick-up truck but it's not that loud and there is no "clunking." It seems to be more noticeable when it's warm. I didn't hear it at all on my way to work this morning when it was cool. My perception is that it's coming from the rear. I'd say I'm about 80% certain of it. I've made an appointment with the dealer for Monday so we'll see.
Curious to see what you find out (hopefully leading to a quick resolution!). FWIW, I'm very **** about noises, vibrations, etc., and thus am cursed (or blessed?), as I hear and feel everything. I've dealt with numerous rattles, squeaks and clunks over the years and have been amazed at certain instances when the noises are such that they project to a different area than the source. So, given the nature of the noise, I'm intrigued, but if that's where it seems to be coming from, let's see what the dealer says. Good luck!
Old 04-22-16, 04:57 PM
Scrutator
Pole Position

So, of course, on my way home today it didn't do it until the last moments of my 5.5-mile drive home. It was about 75 degrees outside and sunny. Just barely a hint of it for about 15 seconds.

Just to describe it further: It's not a high-pitched squeak; it's more mid-range in frequency and seems like two pieces (of something) rubbing together. Reminds me a bit of that musical instrument (friction drum) that consists of a stretched skin that's rubbed by hand.

Last edited by Scrutator; 04-22-16 at 05:45 PM.
Old 04-22-16, 05:08 PM
comotiger
Pole Position

Received 292 Likes on 251 Posts

So, of course, on my way home today it didn't do it until the last moments of my 5.5-mile drive home. It was about 75 degrees outside and sunny. Just barely a hint of it for about 15 seconds.

Just to describe it further: It's not a high-pitched squeak; it's more mid-range in frequency and seems like two pieces (of something) rubbing together. Reminds me a bit of that musical instrument that consists of a stretched skin that's rubbed by hand.
This sound reminds me of a sound in my Subaru Legacy over 15 years ago. Would you say it almost sounds like a chirp, maybe for half a second or less? It would come and go of its own accord, and was most audible on long highway trips with a relatively quiet cabin. Sometimes it would be periodic, once every few minutes for an hour, then go away. Drove me and my wife bananas. I took it in to check the suspension, fuel pump etc., but the issue was never resolved. And then the noise just went away, and haven't had it happen since. I hope your sound doesn't get worse and resolves itself.

Best wishes,
AC
Old 04-25-16, 02:47 PM
Scrutator
Pole Position

Default Resolved, I think.

So, despite my feeling that the noise was coming from the rear it appears that the sound was being generated from the hood.(!) Did a test drive with the tech and he confirmed the noise; he tells me to stop and pop the hood. I do and a moment later he closes the hood and we continue. The squeak is now gone!

Turns out that there are two rubber bumpers in the front that the hood rests upon. They apparently were not tight against the hood. Turning them will adjust them up and down. I've attached a photo of the one on the driver's side.

Who knew?

Old 04-25-16, 04:02 PM
caha14
Racer

So, despite my feeling that the noise was coming from the rear it appears that the sound was being generated from the hood.(!) Did a test drive with the tech and he confirmed the noise; he tells me to stop and pop the hood. I do and a moment later he closes the hood and we continue. The squeak is now gone! Turns out that there are two rubber bumpers in the front that the hood rests upon. They apparently were not tight against the hood. Turning them will adjust them up and down. I've attached a photo of the one on the driver's side. Who knew?
Excellent! Nice and easy. And well, there's that noise projection I was talking about (though I would've never guessed what it was remotely).
Old 04-25-16, 04:36 PM
Scrutator
Pole Position

Originally Posted by caha14
Excellent! Nice and easy. And well, there's that noise projection I was talking about (though I would've never guessed what it was remotely).
Yes, it's difficult to determine, particularly when you're stuck in the driver's seat.
Old 04-26-16, 06:17 AM
dlbuckls10
Racer

Received 96 Likes on 80 Posts

Informative, quick and easy fix solution.