LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Exhaust Experiment...

Old 05-30-16, 11:55 AM
Dr. Jekyll
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 25 Posts

Okay well that's why I was curious. At first it sounded like you wanted to make a few parts for yourself. Then it became this big project where you're looking to get into production complete with fancy packaging. The first part is an experiment and the last part looks like a sales thread where you discussed packaging, pricing and delivery dates. Most guys on here post up pics of WIPs and progress with their cars. You've been very secretive as if this is some large corporate venture. That's all. My opinion is even if someone posts pictures the trouble and effort to "steal" your design wouldn't be worth the $120 you plan on selling it for anyway. The forum is just that, an open forum, where we can exchange ideas and share a common appreciation for our cars.
Old 05-30-16, 01:16 PM
Chuckinnj
Advanced

Received 76 Likes on 59 Posts

First! I commend you for taking on this experiment and I don't want you to take this as a "bashing post" for your experiment turned sales product. Even though I am a newbie here on CL, I have over 45 years of modding cars/bikes/motors and enjoy sharing my experiences and ideas with a group so WE all can benefit from each other to enjoy what we love..... and that is our LS460's. I frequent other auto forums and everybody shares ideas and sometimes the ideas turn to "product sales" because there is a demand for them...... But we want to see what we are paying for and MOST of the time the "product" is NOT worth trying to duplicate because of tooling, time and expense.

This is a small community of LS owners/enthusiaics and NOBODY is going to get rich selling ANY after market parts to LS owners........... Most guys here on CL don't even detail or change oil on their own cars let alone doing any "wrenching" to them. There are mods out there like the Prestigious Society module that some LS owners won't even attempt this (easy to do) installation so I would NOT think this exhaust vent would be a huge seller...... THEN you have a few owners who would want someone else (EG: Local Mechanic) to install it only to find out the guy would NOT install it because of liability risks.
The reason I would like to see some pics is because I want to see how this "exhaust vent" would fit on the exhaust system and IF it would be safe for installation so it would not leak fumes into the car or cause a fire and IF this would void any extended warranties let alone pass motor vehicle inspection. I would NOT want to buy a "notched Ford exhaust donut" with a few long bolts and washers for $120 to vent the exhaust (See my previous post about the magnifying glass) nor do I think you would sell something like this for $120.
Maybe if we saw the picture of the exhaust vent a "CL think tank" may offer some ways to improve it or offer ideas how to package it (EG: Use a lightweight PVC pipe filled with shipping donuts).... This way EVERYBODY is a winner and we see what we are paying for.
If you want to keep this a "buy it blindly or top secret" product, this is up to you and I have NO hard feelings BUT count me out on this "CL group buy"....... Again, don't take this as a bashing or negative post.
Old 07-13-16, 06:26 PM
7milesout
Advanced

Received 78 Likes on 62 Posts

Well guys, it's taken a while to get here, I even had a death in the family to deal with. But I'm now ready.

I am now a vendor. But not under 7milesout. My vendor name is Oliver Enterprises. Sort of a take off from Andy Griffith ... I always got a chuckle at Floyd Lawson Enterprises, so I thought I'd go with that!

I'm working on the ad for the Marketplace as we speak. And YES ... there will be pictures! There's no thread for me to link to, and I'm not sure I can link to it without breaking the rules (gotta look over the rules again and *try* to retain that knowledge). If interested, go to the vendor marketplace and take a look for it ... or search. But it likely won't be there until ~10 pm eastern.

I hope to have the ad up in a couple hours, or less. About 3 weeks ago, I made a new and better video. I just "published" it right before this reply. I'm no Hollywood studio, it's not fancy just various angles to hear these vents. You must wear headphones or you may barely notice a difference. And still, the video really does it no justice.

I'm going to link to the video in the Vendor Marketplace.

7milesout
Old 07-13-16, 06:49 PM
Chuckinnj
Advanced

Good luck on the new venture!....... The ad is now up (9:41pm) on the market place.
Old 07-13-16, 07:00 PM
7milesout
Advanced

Yahooooooo!
Old 07-13-16, 08:05 PM
P460lawd
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes, these are V8s, but very refined and comfortable V8s. I love my new LS-2012; however, I have no desire for it to sound like a 68 Coronet RT- Apples and Oranges- coming from a guy who loves LOUD cars, and 68 Coronet RTs. I wish you well in your adventure!
Old 07-13-16, 08:29 PM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Received 505 Likes on 383 Posts

This sounds nothing like a 68 Coronet or anything similar. It's subtle. More subtle than an AMG, M Series, Maserati Quattropole, Bentley GT, etc. It's perfect.
Old 07-13-16, 09:59 PM
litesoarer
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by roadfrog
This sounds nothing like a 68 Coronet or anything similar. It's subtle. More subtle than an AMG, M Series, Maserati Quattropole, Bentley GT, etc. It's perfect.
Waaaayyyy more subtle.
Old 07-14-16, 01:54 AM
Dr. Jekyll
Lexus Champion

Will you be posting pics of the actual product soon?
Old 07-14-16, 05:55 AM
Nospinzone

Received 406 Likes on 314 Posts

I just watched your video in the Marketplace and I have to say it sounds really good. Nice job!

One thing I would suggest is maybe add some interior shots to demo how it sounds to driver and passengers.

I wish you good luck with this venture.
Old 07-14-16, 09:02 AM
7milesout
Advanced

An interior video already exists. If you look at the creator of the video, and search for other videos from the same creator (me), you'll find the interior video. But again, the videos really do it little justice. I think it sounds better in real life. As good as a GoPro is, it just sounds better in real life than on the GoPro videos. Now ... that's just my opinion.

Ask, the guys that already have these, maybe they think differently. There will be additional customers who will have feedback. I had some on a waiting list ... and they're waiting no longer!
Old 07-14-16, 02:46 PM
Chuckinnj
Advanced

A simple installation vid or some pix may be helpful to see how easy this mod is to do.
Old 07-14-16, 03:16 PM
Dr. Jekyll
Lexus Champion

Or actual pics instead of a computer rendering.
Old 07-19-16, 11:43 PM
aaauae
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sorry but i dont get what the seller wants to achieve . This product is being kept so secretive , like you wanna sell a product show your customers actual pic of the item . No one is gonna steal you idea . Like this is no nuclear bomb formula or something man . You need to grow up buddy . Post original pics or no one will buy it .

Till this date we dont even know where it will get installed or how it will be installed
Old 07-20-16, 01:25 AM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Received 505 Likes on 383 Posts

No one is gonna steal you idea
Bwahaha....really? If it works well, why wouldn't they? Ideas get stolen all the time.

Sorry but i dont get what the seller wants to achieve
I guess he wants to achieve a perfect product and packaging etc, before he markets it. Why is that so hard to wrap one's head around??

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Exhaust Experiment...