LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Exhaust Experiment...

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-16, 10:56 AM
7milesout
Advanced

Received 78 Likes on 62 Posts

I drove it once more, but now at a bmx race. I only got up to 60. But no drone. It's very mild while cruising. So mild I think a solo level of music will droned it out.

If you ask me, it's PERFECT while cruising and rolling along. Sitting at idle, it's not loud at all, it's got a deep base idle. I love the sound driving. It's just enough that I can hear it just right.
Old 05-02-16, 02:19 PM
7milesout
Advanced

Well, I took the LS to work today, and got some feedback. 2 guys. One who wants a Lexus to always be quiet as a mouse, and the other who owns a VERY loud M5 (V10). Both of them said it was good. Because it wasn't loud enough to make the ride unenjoyable. Just enough to hear the sound of a sweet running V8. One said it was a good balance of engine and exhaust tones. They even stood outside the car when we got where we were going and said it sounded good outside too.

Next, I'm going to get a couple credible guys on the forums to provide feedback. Good or bad.

7milesout
Old 05-02-16, 09:06 PM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Received 505 Likes on 383 Posts

Based on what I can hear in the sound bytes, it sounds great. Obviously, there's only so much you can hear on these clips, and hearing in person would be the real test. Subtle things like, the rumbling in the chest that you "feel" and not just hear are part and parcel to it all. This is promising!
Old 05-03-16, 03:08 AM
litesoarer
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by roadfrog
Based on what I can hear in the sound bytes, it sounds great. Obviously, there's only so much you can hear on these clips, and hearing in person would be the real test. Subtle things like, the rumbling in the chest that you "feel" and not just hear are part and parcel to it all. This is promising!
I still haven't gotten a great chance to take video of my muffler delete plus j pipe setup.
Old 05-03-16, 06:32 AM
7milesout
Advanced

Default Drone

roadfrog - Just to be clear, inside and outside the vehicle, this is NOT loud. You cannot feel anything in your chest. There are certain vehicles where that level of rumble is way cool. I don't think the LS is one of those.

The volume of this mod is NOT loud, but VERY pleasant. The BIG NEWS is below:

DRONE

There is absolutely, 100% ZERO DRONE. I took it out to the interstate yesterday. After experiencing the behavior of this mod, I'm glad it is the opposite of what I expected. As a refresher, I figured if it worked at all, it might be silent at idle, and louder at highway speeds and full throttle.

But at highway speeds, it's nearly undetectable. Only pulling hills on the interstate will you start to hear it just a bit. I cruised at 70 mph, 75 mph, 80 mph and 85 mph. NO DRONE.

And after thinking about it, highway speeds would be the worst time to notice it, or it to be loud. It would tend to get on a person's nerves. But in town, it's got just a bit of deep base sound. It makes the LS VERY authoritative sounding. Not like a loud pick-up truck with duals at all. More like, "Hey ... I'm the boss, but I don't have to yell at you to prove it." When I rolled up to traffic lights, I would have a couple people look over because they heard it roll up. They looked over with a "hmmm...." kind of look on their face, followed with a "dayim...." kind of look. A good looking car that sounds like the boss. I'm loving it.

I fired it up at Chick-Fil-A, backed out of my spot, and had a couple 16 - 17 year old boys (young men) just ooogling the car. Now ... that says something. Because normally young guys like a smaller more sporty car, but they were giving it the eye big time. And it wasn't so much the car that got them to look. It was the sound. Just like I said, it's not a yell, it's a tone. And the fact is, if I decide I want it back to full quiet, it takes about 10 minutes (once I'm under the car). Very simple, fully reversible.

The last thing is, from 2,600 rpm to about 3,100 rpm, it just sounds SO SWEET. It will make you want to accelerate hard enough to go through that rpm, or else to use the manual shifter to force it through that rpm.
Old 05-03-16, 06:45 AM
litesoarer
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by 7milesout
roadfrog - Just to be clear, inside and outside the vehicle, this is NOT loud. You cannot feel anything in your chest. There are certain vehicles where that level of rumble is way cool. I don't think the LS is one of those.

The volume of this mod is NOT loud, but VERY pleasant. The BIG NEWS is below:

DRONE

There is absolutely, 100% ZERO DRONE. I took it out to the interstate yesterday. After experiencing the behavior of this mod, I'm glad it is the opposite of what I expected. As a refresher, I figured if it worked at all, it might be silent at idle, and louder at highway speeds and full throttle.

But at highway speeds, it's nearly undetectable. Only pulling hills on the interstate will you start to hear it just a bit. I cruised at 70 mph, 75 mph, 80 mph and 85 mph. NO DRONE.

And after thinking about it, highway speeds would be the worst time to notice it, or it to be loud. It would tend to get on a person's nerves. But in town, it's got just a bit of deep base sound. It makes the LS VERY authoritative sounding. Not like a loud pick-up truck with duals at all. More like, "Hey ... I'm the boss, but I don't have to yell at you to prove it." When I rolled up to traffic lights, I would have a couple people look over because they heard it roll up. They looked over with a "hmmm...." kind of look on their face, followed with a "dayim...." kind of look. A good looking car that sounds like the boss. I'm loving it.

I fired it up at Chick-Fil-A, backed out of my spot, and had a couple 16 - 17 year old boys (young men) just ooogling the car. Now ... that says something. Because normally young guys like a smaller more sporty car, but they were giving it the eye big time. And it wasn't so much the car that got them to look. It was the sound. Just like I said, it's not a yell, it's a tone. And the fact is, if I decide I want it back to full quiet, it takes about 10 minutes (once I'm under the car). Very simple, fully reversible.

The last thing is, from 2,600 rpm to about 3,100 rpm, it just sounds SO SWEET. It will make you want to accelerate hard enough to go through that rpm, or else to use the manual shifter to force it through that rpm.
Did you have pics specifically of the mod itself? How you installed it? I bet the muffler is killing the majority of the drone even though you have the vent portion.

My car is tolerable in town and awesome on the highway. Blasting through a tunnel or underpass is a BLAST though with how low WOT is. I really need to get some video together.
Old 05-03-16, 06:49 AM
7milesout
Advanced

Default No deception...

I'm also going to add that I'm willing to put this to the test openly. I have offered roadfrog a set of these Exhaust Vents. Because I've read enough to know that a) this mod is Mickey Mouse simple for him, and b) he's a no nonsense, no BS, valued poster on CL, and as such he's garnered a lot of respect.

It will take me another couple weeks to have more made, because I've spent some time, effort and resources to get a set that fit and sound right. Now I need to make more.

I have asked him to report back his open and honest opinion. If he hates them, he's free to state that. If he thinks they're crap, I want to hear it. If he experiences drone (he won't) I would want him to let everyone know. Because the fact is, I love this car. This is my biggest beef with the car ... it's just too quiet. It's like dating a supermodel and making her wear a moo-moo. And if roadfrog thinks they're crap, I will continue to value his opinions, but I will close this project, or find a way to improve them. But since I like these vehicles so well, I wouldn't want anyone to receive crap from me, and have any issue once these are installed.

I have also asked CJITTY for a meet up (since we're both in the ATL area), so he can hear these in my car. If he likes the way they sound and wants a set for his car, I'll make a set for him also. But I'm not sure how the 600hL runs. Meaning, if it's like a Prius, where it doesn't run all the time, it may not sound right on his car if he's moving along and then vrooom, the car starts and the sound comes on after moving. It just may "give away" how a 600hL works, and may make the hybrid transition NOT seemless. As I said, I don't know how the 600hL works though.

7milesout
Old 05-03-16, 06:54 AM
7milesout
Advanced

Originally Posted by litesoarer
Did you have pics specifically of the mod itself? How you installed it? I bet the muffler is killing the majority of the drone even though you have the vent portion.

My car is tolerable in town and awesome on the highway. Blasting through a tunnel or underpass is a BLAST though with how low WOT is. I really need to get some video together.
My exhaust vents are a pleasure in town, and nearly silent on the interstate. I wouldn't bother with these if I thought anyone would have to tolerate them at any point in the driving experience. When on the throttle hard enough, the exhaust sound and engine sound are about even. The harmonics of both of those nice sounds together may give some people goosebumps ... especially at 2,600 to 3,100 rpm.
Old 05-03-16, 06:19 PM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

It all sounds good 7! You know I'm in and happy to help any way I can.
Old 05-03-16, 06:38 PM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Oh....and I'll pay the shipping for mine.
Old 05-03-16, 10:07 PM
aaauae
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My exhaust vents are a pleasure in town, and nearly silent on the interstate. I wouldn't bother with these if I thought anyone would have to tolerate them at any point in the driving experience. When on the throttle hard enough, the exhaust sound and engine sound are about even. The harmonics of both of those nice sounds together may give some people goosebumps ... especially at 2,600 to 3,100 rpm.
Sounds nice buddy !

Sorry for my lack of knowledge but what exactly are exhaust vents ?
Never heard about it
Old 05-04-16, 08:08 AM
7milesout
Advanced

Right now, I don't want to disclose a picture. They are a means to let just enough exhaust escape prior to the muffler, to sound really nice. Not too loud, just enough to hear and have a few around hear.

With at least these advantages.
  • The exhaust is vented down, away from the vehicle.
  • This mod is 100% reversible.
  • There is no drone.
  • Simple installation.
  • Made from stainless steel, so no degradation.

roadfrog, I'll let you know when I have more samples made. I'll give you a heads up before I ship them.

7mileout
Old 05-04-16, 08:11 AM
litesoarer
Lexus Test Driver

Right now, I don't want to disclose a picture. They are a means to let just enough exhaust escape prior to the muffler, to sound really nice. Not too loud, just enough to hear and have a few around hear.

• There is no drone.
  • Simple installation.

roadfrog, I'll let you know when I have more samples made. I'll give you a heads up before I ship them.

7mileout
If you are willing to take on an additional volunteer I'd be willing to give it a go. Lemme know.
Old 05-04-16, 04:08 PM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

• There is no drone.
  • Simple installation.

7mileout
Sounds good!
Old 05-06-16, 11:04 AM
7milesout
Advanced

Default Update...

I *could* have more of these available by 5/17. Simultaneously I'm trying to work out decent packaging to send this out in. I'd like to send these out to roadfrog in my final packaging so he can judge that also. But I have my doubts I'm going to get it all together that quickly.

I'm going to try to have a pair to roadfrog by no later than 5/27, packaging be damned.

7milesout

Quick Reply: Exhaust Experiment...