LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Exhaust Experiment...

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-16, 07:30 AM
Chuckinnj
Advanced

Received 76 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by litesoarer
J pipes work wonders.
YES! Very true and they work wonders. For anyone interested in doing a "DIY drone free" system just google: J PIPES FOR DRONE
BTW! Lots of good info on how and why the J Pipes work.

Last edited by Chuckinnj; 04-15-16 at 07:36 AM.
Old 04-15-16, 07:31 AM
litesoarer
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Chuckinnj
YES! Very true and they work wonders. For anyone interested in doing a "DIY drone free" system just google: J PIPES
BTW! Lots of good info on how and why the J Pipes work.

My J pipe setup.<br/><br/>Straight pipe from resonators.
Old 04-15-16, 07:45 AM
Chuckinnj
Advanced

Originally Posted by litesoarer

My J pipe setup.<br/><br/>Straight pipe from resonators.
Nice! This is the way to go guys if you want a louder exhaust.
PLEASE don't waste your time on "experimenting" with washers, free flows, cut outs, etc. or any other hacks because it will NOT be a drone free exhaust and will cost you money to correct.... J pipes work great when they are placed in the correct (calculated) location on the exhaust. I highly suggest going to a custom exhaust shop to have this done unless you own a bender, welder and a lift or your car is a 20 year old beater.
I know some may disagree on my advice but feel free to chop the exhaust and pop 33" wheels on your car BECAUSE...... It's your car!

BTW! If you are older than 30 years old, exhaust drone will drive you crazy and give you severe head aches PLUS you will develop an addiction to Heavy Metal music that will cause you to go deaf because of the turned up volume to drown out the dreaded drone......... TRUST ME on this one.

Last edited by Chuckinnj; 04-15-16 at 11:44 AM.
Old 04-17-16, 04:40 AM
Othic
Pole Position

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

So glad I came across this thread. I have a 15 GS with an Invidia midpipe and Flowmaster mufflers. The drone horrendous! And this is coming from a guy that had an 03 Cobra with full offroad exhaust. I'm definitely going to try this!
Old 04-17-16, 07:14 AM
7milesout
Advanced

Received 78 Likes on 62 Posts

My experiment is 100% reversible and does no damage to the exhaust. And, it will be only a small amount of venting so I doubt it would drone. And they're so easy to install, even a cavewoman could do it. But until I get them on there, who knows. Hopefully Monday.
Old 04-17-16, 11:21 AM
Chuckinnj
Advanced

Originally Posted by 7milesout
My experiment is 100% reversible and does no damage to the exhaust. And, it will be only a small amount of venting so I doubt it would drone. And they're so easy to install, even a cavewoman could do it. But until I get them on there, who knows. Hopefully Monday.
Please get back to us and let us know how it works out...... Hopefully you will have success in being in the drone free zone.
BTW! I did not know Cavewomen had metric tools.
Old 04-29-16, 05:50 AM
7milesout
Advanced

Big delays, of course. But I now have my exhaust vents in my hand. They are thinner than I imagined. They're 14 gauge stainless. Their shape looks good, but it being this thin, I expect the pressure on the exhaust going through them to just create a leak noise.

However, I also wonder if at idle it may not be much or any different, just maybe louder at full throttle. Dunno until I get them on. And I hope I have time to do it today directly after work. The Warden will be gone, so maybe I will have time.

7milesout
Old 04-29-16, 08:37 PM
7milesout
Advanced

Default Exhaust Vents INSTALLED!

All I can say is WOW! There is not 1 hint of a hiss sound. It sounds FAN-DAM-TASTIC. I just can't believe it that it sounds this great on the first iteration. It's different than I thought though. I thought it may be quiet at idle and louder at full throttle. But it seems kind of backward to that. It seems to be much easier to hear at low rpm. I only got to drive it once. But on start up, wow. Low speed rolling, wow. Accelerating it sounds good between 2,500 rpm and 3,000. Then again at about 3,500 to 4,500 rpm.

I made a BEFORE and AFTER video on my GoPro. And I ran my phone's sound meter during the video. Unfortunately, you cannot easily see my phone screen on the stock run, I pushed it too far away. But I can telly you it is 68 dB at idle, and generally always hits 84 dB revved. The after video, is about 72 dB at idle, and hits 84 dB when revved. It's fairly consistent. Admittedly, my phone is not a calibrated instrument for certification. But it's just for reference.

I have a youtube account, I think linking to the video here should be a simple thing.

I've listened to the video with headphones on. Without headphones you cannot tell much of a difference, unless you have reasonable sized speakers attached to your computer. But with headphones, you can tell the difference. It is a deep base increase. Very commanding sounding.

I'm uploading the video as I type. I may have to come back and link it later. I had been guessing that if it sounded good, it wouldn't be loud enough ... but it is. But I need more drive time to get use to it and check for drone.

Listen to the video (when I get it linked) ... but I can tell you, the video does not give it enough credit to what it sounds like in person.

My opinion, it is loud enough, I wouldn't want it any louder. But I've only driven it once. No word on drone, but I may HAVE to drive it on a long trip tomorrow due to a very sick father-in-law.

My plan at this time is to find someone who is interested, and send him a pair of these FOR FREE. And get his unbiased opinion and give to the group here.

Also, I can easily make the vent from thinner material, and it should be a little quieter. I may wind up trying that too.

7milesout
Old 04-29-16, 08:47 PM
litesoarer
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

All I can say is WOW! There is not 1 hint of a hiss sound. It sounds FAN-DAM-TASTIC. I just can't believe it that it sounds this great on the first iteration. It's different than I thought though. I thought it may be quiet at idle and louder at full throttle. But it seems kind of backward to that. It seems to be much easier to hear at low rpm. I only got to drive it once. But on start up, wow. Low speed rolling, wow. Accelerating it sounds good between 2,500 rpm and 3,000. Then again at about 3,500 to 4,500 rpm.

I made a BEFORE and AFTER video on my GoPro. And I ran my phone's sound meter during the video. Unfortunately, you cannot easily see my phone screen on the stock run, I pushed it too far away. But I can telly you it is 68 dB at idle, and generally always hits 84 dB revved. The after video, is about 72 dB at idle, and hits 84 dB when revved. It's fairly consistent. Admittedly, my phone is not a calibrated instrument for certification. But it's just for reference.

I have a youtube account, I think linking to the video here should be a simple thing.

I've listened to the video with headphones on. Without headphones you cannot tell much of a difference, unless you have reasonable sized speakers attached to your computer. But with headphones, you can tell the difference. It is a deep base increase. Very commanding sounding.

I'm uploading the video as I type. I may have to come back and link it later. I had been guessing that if it sounded good, it wouldn't be loud enough ... but it is. But I need more drive time to get use to it and check for drone.

Listen to the video (when I get it linked) ... but I can tell you, the video does not give it enough credit to what it sounds like in person.

My opinion, it is loud enough, I wouldn't want it any louder. But I've only driven it once. No word on drone, but I may HAVE to drive it on a long trip tomorrow due to a very sick father-in-law.

My plan at this time is to find someone who is interested, and send him a pair of these FOR FREE. And get his unbiased opinion and give to the group here.

Also, I can easily make the vent from thinner material, and it should be a little quieter. I may wind up trying that too.

7milesout
Pix?

Where's the video?
Old 04-29-16, 09:14 PM
younglad
Driver School Candidate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

What does this vent thing look like?
Old 04-29-16, 09:35 PM
7milesout
Advanced

I'm working on it, I haven't signed into my youtube account in a long time. I had to restore it.
Old 04-29-16, 09:50 PM
7milesout
Advanced

Here ya go. Check out my other videos in there too, if you care to.

I recommend a full screen, and headphones. Now ... I'm going to bed!

Old 04-29-16, 10:21 PM
younglad
Driver School Candidate

Here ya go. Check out my other videos in there too, if you care to.

I recommend a full screen, and headphones. Now ... I'm going to bed!

https://youtu.be/ho5MAX4H9-c
not bad, I like
Old 04-30-16, 12:43 AM
Batmobile
Pole Position

Very nice very nice
Old 04-30-16, 07:45 AM
Chuckinnj
Advanced

Thanks for posting the vid! How is the cabin sound on the highway while cruising? Any drone?

Quick Reply: Exhaust Experiment...