LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Exhaust Experiment...

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-16, 04:42 PM
Tee

Received 67 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by 7milesout
Thanks CJITTY - If you guys form a mini-meet, I'd love to meet all you guys. Give me enough notice to have some boxed up and ready to divvy out at the meet. I'm guessing when my car is heard, many guys will want this. Maybe we could put them in right there on the spot.

I don't know if Tee will remember, exactly the first thing he said to me. But I loved that guy from the first words out of his mouth! Because I was thinking the same thing, and he made me laugh. You see, I chose the spot for us to meet just geographically based on where those 2 lived and where I had been all day at a BMX race. And the location looked nice on google maps satellite view. And I didn't know the area. But as I rolled in, I saw Tee ... and he was rolling toward me. We stopped side by side and we put down our windows and he said ... well, I want to see if he remembers what he said! Because, it was exactly what I was thinking and was glad he said it as well as it was funny as he11. Do you remember Tee?

7milesout
Yeah... that meet up spot was not going to work for me LOL! BTW thanks for the kind words buddy.

Last edited by Tee; 05-26-16 at 04:48 PM.
Old 05-27-16, 12:56 PM
7milesout
Advanced

Received 78 Likes on 62 Posts

What Tee said, when we stopped in the road was, "I'm not feeling that parking lot." And I must have looked like this I wasn't feeling it either, but didn't know the area. He and PrinceAkim are a couple of the good guys.
Old 05-27-16, 04:04 PM
AxleBrick
Driver School Candidate

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by roadfrog
Got the package yesterday. Right off the hop, I can tell that this is quality. I wasn't sure what to expect, but I was certainly pleasantly surprised that the pieces are top-notch. No, 'I made these in my mom's basement', appearance here. LOL.

I'm looking forward to installing them.
That's too often overlooked buying eBay items shipped on a slow boat from China.
That initial impression says so much. If they put that much thought into packaging
they've done the same with their product. I remember my first iPhone and the
unboxing experience. It matters.
Old 05-28-16, 06:11 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,519 Likes on 1,817 Posts

I hadn't checked into this thread because I'm not a mod guy, but these sound great!

I don't know if any of you ever had an LS400, or have driven at least a 98-00 LS400, but IMHO they had a significantly better exhaust tone than the LS460. The 430 did too, but not quite as nice as the 400. Thats one of my disappointments with the 460 compared to our 430 and 400. You could easily tell they were V8s, they had a little rumble here and there and like you said 7 the 460 really doesn't have any of that. The aural experience of the 460 is no different than my V6 GS or ES really.

A few people who complain about the 460 mention that they don't like the feel of the engine and powertrain as much...I think its specifically this that they have an issue with whether they realize it or not.

This is something even I would likely pick up and try.

Looking forward to road frog's thoughts...
Old 05-28-16, 08:59 AM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Received 505 Likes on 383 Posts

I'm hoping to have a chance to install these tomorrow (Sunday). We have a lot of rain falling right now, but it's supposed to start clearing up overnight. Pacific Northwest Spring rain is unpredictable!
Old 05-28-16, 03:43 PM
7milesout
Advanced

Roadfrog - Take a look at my instructions maybe now while it's raining. And when you get prepared to do this install, grab a 14 mm socket / socket wrench and take my instructions and Exhaust Vents up under your car and see if the instructions make sense ... if you don't mind. If you find something unclear let me know.

RAIN <---
Old 05-28-16, 05:40 PM
Dr. Jekyll
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 25 Posts

So are there any pics of the parts or the install? And are these being made for sale?
Old 05-29-16, 08:09 PM
7milesout
Advanced

No pics of the parts. I would prefer there not be any pictures posted. These are being ready for sale pending feedback from roadfrog. If he finds issues with my Exhaust Vents, I will improve and release. I'm hoping to be able to start shipping around 6/20 if all goes well.
Old 05-29-16, 08:12 PM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Received 505 Likes on 383 Posts

I got these put in today. Took me about 20 minutes. These really are nice......just the right hint of "authority" from the exhaust without being "obnoxious". At idle, it's extremely subtle.....almost unnoticeable. Accelerating away, it is more noticeable and had that nice growl. No raspiness or "fart can" noises here.

I haven't had it on the freeway yet, but will tomorrow morning going to work I had my wife and son stand outside the car while I accelerated away and they said it sounded "cool". I then had my wife drive it while I listened from the curb. Again....AWESOME. This is definitely the sound I was after all along. I'm going to roll down the windows when I drive through the nearby tunnel on my way home from work. LOL.

I'll report back tomorrow after I drive it on the freeway. Kudos to my friend 7milesout on this "kit". Very impressed so far.

Last edited by roadfrog; 05-30-16 at 05:06 AM.
Old 05-29-16, 09:10 PM
Dr. Jekyll
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 25 Posts

Wait, so is this a sales thread now? The experimentation part is over?

Last edited by Dr. Jekyll; 05-29-16 at 09:58 PM.
Old 05-30-16, 05:20 AM
litesoarer
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Dr. Jekyll
A patent (pending at least) would solve the "pictures" item.
Old 05-30-16, 07:21 AM
7milesout
Advanced

Patents aren't cheap.
Old 05-30-16, 07:55 AM
Chuckinnj
Advanced

Received 76 Likes on 59 Posts

This exhaust vent is something I am very interested in.......... HOWEVER, Before I purchase "ANYTHING" I want to see some pix for what I am buying.
A friend of mine purchased some "male enhancement" pills for $99.99 (guaranteed to make your "unit" 3x larger) and when he opened the box, there it was....... A bottle of aspirin and a magnifying glass!! .........
Old 05-30-16, 08:10 AM
7milesout
Advanced

Originally Posted by Chuckinnj
A bottle of aspirin and a magnifying glass!! .........
Now that's funny right there!

Chuck - I don't blame you for being careful. I'm as big a skeptic on other people as you, maybe worse. I trust approximately nobody. Due to my disgust with other people (except for you CL people of course ), I bend over backwards while doing somersaults to not be one of *those* types that you can't count on.

roadfrog - I look forward to your thoughts on the quality of the parts in the box, comments on the bolts (if any), and comments on the instructions. At the time I sent roadfrog the Exhaust Vents, I did not have the exact box I am going to use. Nor did I have the exact foam. I found a box approximately the size I'm going to use, and used a piece of styrofoam. in place of the actual foam I will use. I also included instructions.

The box will have one vent on the bottom of the foam, another vent on top of the foam, with 4 bolts running through the foam (2 of which are through at least one vent's bolt holes) sort of holding it altogether and supporting it during shipment. The bolts double to protect the vents from damage during shipment. I believe when you receive the box, you will think, "hmmm, ok, not bad," for the box. Then you'll notice my box while very secure, opens really nice. And then you'll see the top Vent and you'll then realize you did not waste your money.

If you install, and don't like it ... well, box it back up and resell for half price or something. You're out what ... $60? No big deal. However, I don't believe Tee, PrinceAkim or roadfrog would want to drive their cars without this sound now. And THAT IS WHY I SOUGHT independent verification.

If you guys are like me and Chuckinnj, I would have read the first few pages and maybe thought I was exaggerating. Outside opinions are the real deal.

Last edited by 7milesout; 05-30-16 at 08:30 AM.
Old 05-30-16, 08:41 AM
7milesout
Advanced

Originally Posted by Dr. Jekyll
Dr Jekyll - FYI, I sent roadfrog one of these kits for free for an independent opinion. I've asked him to NOT be biased toward me. His independent opinion is all I'm seeking. Because if he says they're crap, I'll stop right now and save a sizeable chunk of cash. So far it seems he likes them.

I chose roadfrog because he came from a 750iL (I believe it was) and he had explained all the work he had done on that car. I chose him because he has no problems turning wrenches, and has garnered a good reputation on CL for a no bull kind of guy. I have not asked him to say anything nice about the Exhaust Vents. I want his HONEST feedback.

I asked Tee and PrinceAkim for the SAME reasons, except that they were local to me, so I could meet up with them, and do the install myself. These 3 guys were my *CLINICAL TRIAL* if you will. For ALL our benefit. You guys - I don't want you guys to waste money on crap ... Me - I don't want a bad reputation for selling crap.

It's not a sales thread any more than guys can PM me if they want to get on the list. But I'm not selling to anyone on that list, until I have kits ready to ship, and they give the go ahead.

At that time, I'll get with the moderators to make sure this is done according to forum rules. In this thread may not be the appropriate place. So, this thread is still an experiment.

Quick Reply: Exhaust Experiment...