LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Exhaust Experiment...

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-16, 05:52 PM
litesoarer
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Neat.

Have you considered doing a rolling video, part throttle, WOT.
Old 05-06-16, 06:42 PM
7milesout
Advanced

Received 78 Likes on 62 Posts

I have, but it wouldn't be a before and after. Just an after.
Old 05-06-16, 07:15 PM
litesoarer
Lexus Test Driver

After is great. We all know what it sounds like before.
Old 05-06-16, 09:30 PM
Dr. Jekyll
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by litesoarer
After is great. We all know what it sounds like before.
Very true! I wanna hear it too!
Old 05-09-16, 07:42 AM
7milesout
Advanced

Hey guys,

I had a busy busy weekend, maybe you guys did too. Saturday morning from 7:15 am to 11:15, I took 5 pick-up truck loads of limbs from a bush I trimmed to the recycle center. I can't get as much in my truck now that I have the bed cap on it (for bmx racing gear for my son). But all 5 loads were stuffed top to bottom, side to side. And it's an 8' bed. Then I showered and went to the 1st bmx race of the day. Came home rested for 45 minutes, then went about 1.25 hours across town to another bmx race. I got home at 11:15 pm. It was a long day.

Sunday I cruised up to my parents' house for Mother's Day, and had a good time. I brought the ole man down to the car to let him hear it after I told him about the Exhaust Vents. He's a big believer to NEVER do a blame thing to a car (outside of maintenance and repair). And I agree with him mostly. After describing it to him and letting him hear the youtube video, I could of course sense the skepticism, rightfully so. An LS should NOT be redneck loud.

Went and cranked it up for him while he stood behind it, and he said, "yeah ... it does sound good." I asked him, you think it's too loud? He said, "no ... not nearly what I expected, sounds good." I asked, does it still sound Lexus good? He said, "yeah, it's still good, not too loud, sounds nice." He didn't ride in though, I had to head home (140 miles). And got a small rock chip in the window on the way home. But there is NO DRONE, and it's probably 90% - 95% the same as the original exhaust sound while cruising the interstate. However, if you get slowed down, and have to speed back up, you can hear it, and it sounds GREAT.

So, here's the deal. I'm going to try to get an "in the cabin" video tonight when I get home from work. I'm going to mount the Go-Pro with no housing (to maximize the sound reception). I'm thinking I'll raise the right rear headrest, then sandwich the GoPro between the headrest and seat. In this way, it being in the rear, with no housing. My guess is this may let you hear what it sounds like, but nothing substitutes the real thing.

Speaking of that, I'm hoping to have more samples mid-week next week.

litesoarer - I'm not ignoring your request. I'm busy trying to put things together, work, bmx, etc. Where do you live (state)? I was hoping to have a local guy take a listen to my car. But haven't been able to put that together just yet.

Lastly - Yes, I'm looking to sell these. These will be less expensive than any other exhaust mod you can do that sounds ANYWHERE near this good ... for an LS. And if anyone doesn't like this mod, they can simply take them back out ... and resell them if they want to. I'm going to include 4 new bolts in this kit. You guys that live up north, may appreciate 4 new clean bolts. The nuts are weldnuts (Toyota is smart) attached to the rear flange. I managed to get the bolts measured and identified over this weekend.

QUESTION Any specific driving requests that I can do for this video tonight? Other than interstate driving. I'm probably 10 miles from the interstate and won't have time to do it. But I'm going furniture shopping with 1 of my 3 sons tonight, so he and I will be in the car.
Old 05-09-16, 08:41 AM
litesoarer
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by 7milesout
Hey guys,

I had a busy busy weekend, maybe you guys did too. Saturday morning from 7:15 am to 11:15, I took 5 pick-up truck loads of limbs from a bush I trimmed to the recycle center. I can't get as much in my truck now that I have the bed cap on it (for bmx racing gear for my son). But all 5 loads were stuffed top to bottom, side to side. And it's an 8' bed. Then I showered and went to the 1st bmx race of the day. Came home rested for 45 minutes, then went about 1.25 hours across town to another bmx race. I got home at 11:15 pm. It was a long day.

Sunday I cruised up to my parents' house for Mother's Day, and had a good time. I brought the ole man down to the car to let him hear it after I told him about the Exhaust Vents. He's a big believer to NEVER do a blame thing to a car (outside of maintenance and repair). And I agree with him mostly. After describing it to him and letting him hear the youtube video, I could of course sense the skepticism, rightfully so. An LS should NOT be redneck loud.

Went and cranked it up for him while he stood behind it, and he said, "yeah ... it does sound good." I asked him, you think it's too loud? He said, "no ... not nearly what I expected, sounds good." I asked, does it still sound Lexus good? He said, "yeah, it's still good, not too loud, sounds nice." He didn't ride in though, I had to head home (140 miles). And got a small rock chip in the window on the way home. But there is NO DRONE, and it's probably 90% - 95% the same as the original exhaust sound while cruising the interstate. However, if you get slowed down, and have to speed back up, you can hear it, and it sounds GREAT.

So, here's the deal. I'm going to try to get an "in the cabin" video tonight when I get home from work. I'm going to mount the Go-Pro with no housing (to maximize the sound reception). I'm thinking I'll raise the right rear headrest, then sandwich the GoPro between the headrest and seat. In this way, it being in the rear, with no housing. My guess is this may let you hear what it sounds like, but nothing substitutes the real thing.

Speaking of that, I'm hoping to have more samples mid-week next week.

litesoarer - I'm not ignoring your request. I'm busy trying to put things together, work, bmx, etc. Where do you live (state)? I was hoping to have a local guy take a listen to my car. But haven't been able to put that together just yet.

Lastly - Yes, I'm looking to sell these. These will be less expensive than any other exhaust mod you can do that sounds ANYWHERE near this good ... for an LS. And if anyone doesn't like this mod, they can simply take them back out ... and resell them if they want to. I'm going to include 4 new bolts in this kit. You guys that live up north, may appreciate 4 new clean bolts. The nuts are weldnuts (Toyota is smart) attached to the rear flange. I managed to get the bolts measured and identified over this weekend.

QUESTION Any specific driving requests that I can do for this video tonight? Other than interstate driving. I'm probably 10 miles from the interstate and won't have time to do it. But I'm going furniture shopping with 1 of my 3 sons tonight, so he and I will be in the car.
North Texas.

Do you have a sport model?

If you might do a row through the gears (1-5), (5-1), in SPORT/+ in manual mode.

If possible an external video would be boss. (Someone holding the camera as you roll out and mash it.)
Old 05-09-16, 02:24 PM
Chuckinnj
Advanced

Received 76 Likes on 59 Posts

Curiosity is killing me! I would love to see a picture of the exhaust vent installed. I have installed J Pipes, H Pipes, Cut Outs, Expansion Chambers and all sorts of exhaust mods (since the late 1960's) but this one has "tweaked" my interest more than anything. I commend you on your research for a better sounding exhaust and volunteered you car to be the lab rat.

Keep in mind when and IF you decide to sell these that you make sure you note that they are to be installed on "off road vehicles only".
Old 05-10-16, 03:03 PM
7milesout
Advanced

I did get video last night, but have yet to get it up on youtube. I'll have to *try* to do it tonight. And I'll do a roll-out, roll-by, etc later.

Mine is not a Sport. I did put it in ECO mode last night, and it seemed to subdue the sound a little, but I guess only because it was subduing my throttle input as well. In my "In Cab Video" I did have one near full throttle launch from a traffic light. Not sure how it's going to sound on the video though.

I'm fairly sure I'm not going to take pictures of it. Unless I can get all of CL to sign and NDA! HA!

I'm going to use the feedback of roadfrog, and some local guys as to whether or not this is a viable product. You guys just cannot imagine the simplicity of it. Simple to install, simple components, simple to remove. Heck, I'm still having a hard time believing it turned out so well.

As for the Off Road Vehicles Only thing. I thought about that. And I don't think I would need to even worry about that. This has 0 effect on emissions. It will not freak your sensors, it will not change the emissions performance of your vehicle. The emissions are 0 change after install. If you live in an area where emissions inspections take place (like I do), this will NOT affect that testing whatsoever.

And the sound is not enough to make a cop chase you down. I ran up next to a new Mustang 5.0 last night rowing through the gears (after the recording ran out of space). And I could not hear my car over his. And the cops do not chase those guys down, unless they hear them racing. So we're safe there too. I didn't get on mine to make it louder, as I didn't want the dude think I was dumb enough to race him. Just stayed side-by-side. He had a modified exhaust and it sounded friggin bad a$$.

7milesout
Old 05-10-16, 03:26 PM
Tee

Received 67 Likes on 56 Posts

I will be linking up with 7milesout on Sunday to give it a listen and provide feedback.
Old 05-10-16, 04:32 PM
7milesout
Advanced

I told you that your color combo I thought was the best. All the time I spent in Toyota and Hyundai at the plants, a red color (darker blood red) and a tan type interior was my favorite.

But why did I think yours was a 600hL? Must not have read the fine print.

I'm working on the in-cab video now. It stinks, it doesn't do it justice. From what I can tell, the Go-Pro is picking up more booming than anything. Booming is an automotive term, it means basically low-bass type noise. You can hear the car, but it doesn't sound nearly the same as in the car. Sounds like there's a lot of bass at low speed, then nothing else. In reality it's some bass at low speed, and really sweet sound up to about 60 mph. Then cruising it mostly sounds stock.

7milesout
Old 05-10-16, 05:55 PM
7milesout
Advanced

Check it out. But it's not that great. My full throttle launch didn't process correctly, and I didn't have time to go back and do it again. My son and I are going to look at furniture for him. We're being quiet for the video. No radio playing either.

This video has give me all kind of fits. It has taken like 5 uploads to get it to work.

Last edited by 7milesout; 05-10-16 at 06:33 PM.
Old 05-10-16, 06:16 PM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Received 505 Likes on 383 Posts

I'm looking forward to trying it out !!!
Old 05-10-16, 08:22 PM
Chuckinnj
Advanced

Received 76 Likes on 59 Posts

Thanks for posting the vid!!! ...... No Drone!
Old 05-11-16, 04:29 PM
7milesout
Advanced

I got bolts today, and they fit perfect! There's a small chance I may have more samples by Saturday.
Old 05-11-16, 11:04 PM
lbintab
Lexus Test Driver

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

This was the washers

So I did the washer thing about 3 years ago. I had it in there up until October of 2014 when I had the mufflers removed and straight piped the car to twin tips for my body kit. So the gap it creates... A section of the mid pipe actually inserts into the axle back. So when you create the gap a lot of the exhaust gases still pass through the muffler. It creates a nice sounding exhaust leak though. Definitely louder now that I removed the mufflers but much cleaner sound. The washers made it sound a little sloppy in comparison.

This was the car with the straight pipes. Mind the decals...it was still dressed up after bringing it back from Sema 2014.
View this post on Instagram

Last edited by lbintab; 05-11-16 at 11:14 PM.

Quick Reply: Exhaust Experiment...