LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Error messages after replacing a battery 2007 LS460

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-16, 07:30 AM
azzkicker
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Error messages after replacing a battery 2007 LS460

I'm sorry if you've seen this twice; I mistakenly posted it as a reply in the wrong car forum.

I put a new battery in my 2007 LS460 and it lit up all kinds of vsc, brake, abs, pcs, stop the vehicle immediately, etc. A 30 minute freeway trip, then 1 hr turned off has not changed anything.

Background: no warnings before the dead battery, but the rear window would reverse when it got part way. I was monkeying with it, and found the weather seal crimped right there. I left the ignition on by mistake. 8 hours later, the 1 year old battery was dead. I hooked up a good charger and it nearly cranked 20 minutes later with the charger connected so I left it until the charger said it was done and unhooked it. There were no dash lights and my voltmeter read something like 3 volts.

I pulled it out and replaced it, which cranked right up and runs great, but has all these errors.

I'm having trouble walking right now, but when I get a chance, I'll check the voltage on the new battery in case the car isn't charging, but I would have expected the two long drives yesterday to kill the battery again if it wasn't. I also have a ScanGaugeE which I may use to read and reset the codes.

Thank you in advance for your advice.
Old 04-11-16, 07:56 AM
hfahmy
Advanced

Received 53 Likes on 48 Posts

I would take it to Autozone or Advanced Auto parts to reset the codes and see if they come back. It is documented in the forum that people have similar issues with bad batteries.
Old 04-11-16, 09:13 PM
Nospinzone

Received 407 Likes on 315 Posts

Did you clean the inside of the battery clamps with fine sandpaper? Sometimes it may be a bad connection with the battery terminals.
Old 04-13-16, 03:22 PM
azzkicker
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Update:
The terminals were very clean. I unhooked the battery for an hour and reconnected it without helping. Then I held the trip reset button and pushed the ignition twice, which reset the maintenance warning, but not the other warnings.

My scanguageE could not find any codes, so it couldn't reset any. I went back to Autozone where I bought the battery, and they said they can't reset codes by law (in Oregon). They did offer to read them, but their tool didn't find any either.

I took it to Lexus, and for a mere $140 they "meticulously" went through every single error code, verified it wasn't a real issue, and reset the codes.

Does anybody know a scan tool that can find and reset Lexus codes? I know at least two that won't. For $140, when I'm already almost certain that a reset is all I need, I might buy another one if I believed it would work.

Last edited by azzkicker; 04-13-16 at 03:26 PM.
Old 04-14-16, 07:21 PM
geekhou05
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This happens if your original batter ran low on voltage and then your replaced it with a new one.

You cannot clear this code with a ODBII reader; it must be cleared with Toyota Techstream. Just did it the other day.
Old 01-06-19, 12:13 PM
PWMDMD
Rookie

Received 29 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by azzkicker
Update:
The terminals were very clean. I unhooked the battery for an hour and reconnected it without helping. Then I held the trip reset button and pushed the ignition twice, which reset the maintenance warning, but not the other warnings.

My scanguageE could not find any codes, so it couldn't reset any. I went back to Autozone where I bought the battery, and they said they can't reset codes by law (in Oregon). They did offer to read them, but their tool didn't find any either.

I took it to Lexus, and for a mere $140 they "meticulously" went through every single error code, verified it wasn't a real issue, and reset the codes.

Does anybody know a scan tool that can find and reset Lexus codes? I know at least two that won't. For $140, when I'm already almost certain that a reset is all I need, I might buy another one if I believed it would work.
Certain error codes can not be cleared by a third party reader - only by a tool supplied by Toyota/Lexus. I believe this is true for all auto manufactures.
Old 01-20-21, 04:28 PM
Protholl
Advanced

Received 165 Likes on 136 Posts

I had a similar problem with a very discharged battery (corrosion hiding under the pretty "+" plastic cap). After an epic cleaning of the terminals and a 36 hour recharge at 2A and I had a similar/different problem. Beeping from the dash, headlights and taillights on and no ability to unlock the doors with the fob. I wound up disconnecting the negative and doing another 24 hour trickle charge with the battery tender. I manually opened the driver's door then connected the negative post (again... beeping, headlights on and lights galore on the dash). I just pressed the start button to start the engine. The first time, nothing. The second time a start... but failed to run. The third time the engine started and after a minute of running all the warnings cleared.

I guess I was lucky?
Old 01-21-21, 07:05 AM
DavidinCT
Racer

Received 195 Likes on 147 Posts

Originally Posted by azzkicker
Update:

I took it to Lexus, and for a mere $140 they "meticulously" went through every single error code, verified it wasn't a real issue, and reset the codes. This will read and reset dealer codes, so it will do exactly what you need and more...

If you have a old laptop around... pick up one of the Techstream kits on ebay, normally under $50, comes with the program and a cable. This is better on Windows XP or Windows 7 32bit but, some people have it working on Windows 10, with possible issues.

This is the Toyota software in a Hacked version, normally a older version that will work fine on a 2007, you can reset codes, troubleshoot, as well as customize the car, a worthy took for a Lexus owner...